Honored Social Butterfly

Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman is the classic Fox News patriot. But he’s got dirt on Trump.

Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman is the classic Fox News patriot. But he’s got dirt on Trump.

Over its 23 years on air, Fox News has declared its affection for various American archetypes. Army Lt. Col. Alexander S. Vindman, who testified on Tuesday in the House’s impeachment inquiry, would appear to fit squarely into all of them.

For one, he’s not timid about his patriotism: “I have dedicated my entire professional life to the United States of America,” he writes in his opening statement before House committees. For another, he’s an officer in the U.S. Army whose tours of duty include South Korea and Germany, not to mention a combat tour in Iraq. “In Iraq, I was wounded in an IED attack and awarded a Purple Heart,” reads his opening statement. No network celebrates the troops as aggressively as Fox News.

There’s more for the Fox News great-man profile: “My family fled the Soviet Union when I was three and a half years old. Upon arriving in New York City in 1979, my father worked multiple jobs to support us, all the while learning English at night. He stressed to us the importance of fully integrating into our adopted country,” he writes. He even assimilated!

The Fox and CNN commentators questioning Alexander Vindman’s loyalty
Ahead of Lt. Col. Alexander S. Vindman’s testimony in the House impeachment inquiry on Oct. 29, some cable news commentators questioned his patriotism. (JM Rieger/The Washington Post)

All these Fox News credentials, however, didn’t earn Vindman much consideration on Monday night’s edition of "The Ingraham Angle" with host Laura Ingraham. Near the top of her show, Ingraham picked up on a New York Times story indicating that Vindman, the National Security Council’s top Ukraine hand, would testify he considered President Trump’s appeal to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky “so damaging to American interests that he reported it to a superior.”

Just another act of patriotism from a patriotic immigrant service member? Not according to Ingraham and her guest John Yoo, a former deputy assistant attorney general during the George W. Bush administration:

Ingraham: I want to get to some breaking news tonight: Fox News has confirmed that a White House national security official — his name is Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman. He is going to tell impeachment investigators tomorrow in a statement that has been distributed to some media outlets that he twice reported objections over Trump’s call with Ukraine.
But get this: This is buried in The New York Times piece tonight, but I found it very interesting. He’s a decorated colonel, by the way, in the Iraq war, ‘Because Colonel Vindman immigrated from Ukraine along with his family when he was a child and is fluent in Ukrainian and Russian, Ukrainian officials sought advice from him how to deal with [Trump lawyer Rudolph W.] Giuliani though they typically communicated in English.’

Now, wait a second, John. Here we have a U.S. national security official who is advising Ukraine while working inside the White House apparently against the president’s interest and, usually, they spoke in English. Isn’t that kind of an interesting angle on this story?

Yoo: I find that astounding, and some people might call that espionage. But it doesn’t actually seem to add any new facts to what we know. In terms of come . . . I think Alan raises a good point, this is a high crime and misdemeanor. Whether you have one person or five people all saying “we objected to what the president said with the president of Ukraine?” We have a transcript of the call. We can all make our judgment.

I don’t see how this breaking news actually adds more facts to what we know about whether this isn’t an impeachable offense or not. And that’s something I think actually the American people should decide rather than just the House. And I think they should decide through the next election.

The idea that this Fox News archetypal hero had engaged in espionage was allowed to hang out there in the cable-news ether, never to be batted down for its extremism and preposterousness. That’s the way that Fox News rolls — by setting up its guests to say inflammatory and irresponsible things. If the resulting outrage overwhelms Twitter and Facebook, perhaps the network will apologize and/or declare that the offender won’t be invited back on air, but those occasions are rare.

A telling footnote to the Ingraham-Yoo exchange relates to timing. The New York Times published its story on Vindman — from which Ingraham quoted — at 8:43 p.m. Ingraham and Yoo attacked him at 10:07 p.m. Quite an efficient turnaround.

In fairness: CNN broadcast similar garbage as delivered by paid contributor and former congressman Sean Duffy: “It seems very clear that [Vindman] is incredibly concerned about Ukrainian defense,” he said. “I don’t know about his concern [for] American policy, but his main mission was to make sure the Ukraine got those weapons. I understand it: We all have an affinity to our homeland where we came from. Like me, I’m sure that Vindman has the same affinity.”

But unlike CNN, Fox News’s attacks spanned programming. On Tuesday morning’s “Fox & Friends,” co-host Brian Kilmeade tested out a less slanderous criticism of Vindman: “He’s got a Purple Heart. He got hit by an IED in Iraq. We also know he was born in the Soviet Union, emigrated with his family, young. He tends to feel simpatico with the Ukraine,” said the co-host. Apparently he didn’t read the part where Vindman wrote about the focus of his “entire professional life.”

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

tRump and his supporters will try to denigrate anyone who stands up to tRump and tells the truth. They will denigrate anyone who does that, including war heroes, even those who were held as prisoners of war. tRump will denigrate them and his Bonespur supporters will do the same. Sad but true.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

Truth and facts are THE enemy of the Trump Cult Party. They excel in MIS/DIS information.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Vindman is one of the leakers inside the White House! He's out!

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@jimc91 wrote:

Vindman is one of the leakers inside the White House! He's out!

POTUS is one of the leakers inside the White House!  He should be out as well!!!!

President Trump, proven leaker 

Donald Trump: Leaker In Chief 

Kellyanne Conway ‘Number One Leaker’ in White House 

I wonder who the hypocrit is......

Honored Social Butterfly

leakers in this White House are good!! Why, because they usually tell the truth unlike the current occupant is capable of doing!!
Honored Social Butterfly

Unfortunately, Trump Cult members are loyal only to Comrade Trump, they are not loyal to America and our constitution. That's why they support a pathological liar who surrounds himself with convicted felons. Nobody in Trump World perceives that combination as a problem.

Contributor

Lt. Col. Vindman is not a Patriot. He is an embarrassment to our great military. May he go down in the history books as a weak military officer, one who does not understand nor accept his role as a military officer. To go around the military chain of command to allege dirt on his Commander in Chief (solely based on his prejudiced opinion) is unforgivable. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@couchhw wrote:

Lt. Col. Vindman is not a Patriot. He is an embarrassment to our great military. May he go down in the history books as a weak military officer, one who does not understand nor accept his role as a military officer. To go around the military chain of command to allege dirt on his Commander in Chief (solely based on his prejudiced opinion) is unforgivable. 

I'm subject to supporting those who don't support the Fuhrer, and apparently you are not.  Country first is patriotic, blind loyalty to a dictator is NOT!  But that's me.  Some blindly followed Hitler as well...

Honored Social Butterfly

@couchhw wrote:

Lt Col. Vindman is a true patriot. President tRump (alias President Bonespurs) is a draft dodging self seeking coward. 

Funny how tRump supporters will denigrate anyone, even a true patriot, if they tell the truth about tRump. To me, that is far more "unforgivable". 

Accept the cowardice and self serving corruption of trump and his administration if you want, but don't expect all rational Americans to do the same, it just isn't gonna' happen.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I hope all are watching what is going on in the military now. This thread is about Lt. Col. V who is a true American hero and makes up the back bone of our military. There are a few in our military who are just the opposite and our military has tried and gotten them out. Well if you followed the story that has stopped. Our  Navy had finished trial of a very few for war crimes. They were convicted and punishment given to each. Guess what. Trump has intervened to undo that. Trump thinks what they did was fine and is stopping action against them yet Trump has said people like Lt. Col. V are a danger to our country and should be tried. Well one of the people Trump likes is a NAVY Seabe who was a sniper. He would kill anyone. It was so bad the people working with him would adjust his sniper rifle so it would not shoot very accurately as they wanted to save people who did nothing. Here is what Trump likes. People like the NAVY Seabee. Here is who Trump dislikes. People like Lt. Col. V.  War Crimes are now part of the US policy per Trump actions. How do you think that will effect the current people who make up the military. One last thought. Hitler had to do the same thing in Germany with their Armed Forces so they could do what they did in WW2 to people. Our Armed Forces where the people who saved them from the Germans. How far down Trump has taken us.

0 Kudos

Surprising how someone feels one behavior excuses another.  As a (Retired) member of our Military there is NO excuse you can offer me for LtC Vindman’s behavior....NONE!!!  I was on Active Duty when Mr O’Bama was in office....AND it was CRYSTAL clear to me he was determined to DECIMATE our Military....I even have HIS signature on my retirement order....BUT I never expressed my personal feelings about him ANYWHERE in public!!!  Most civilians DO NOT UNDERSTAND what Commander and Chief means to a member of our military...It would appear you DO NOT either sir.  Our military is fraught with a breakdown in respect and understanding of the UCMJ....I submit an Army Capt in Uniform presenting a challenge coin to VP Biden at Political rally and a full Col. Protesting F-35’s at Sen Lahey’s Office in dress blues!!!  LtC Vindman’s behavior was completely and TOTALLY WRONG!!! And if you cannot see that....there ISN’T much hope for the US Military Scott D Johnston,MSgt, USAF, Fet

Esteemed Social Butterfly

@mj5085 wrote:

Surprising how someone feels one behavior excuses another.  As a (Retired) member of our Military there is NO excuse you can offer me for LtC Vindman’s behavior....NONE!!!  I was on Active Duty when Mr O’Bama was in office....AND it was CRYSTAL clear to me he was determined to DECIMATE our Military....I even have HIS signature on my retirement order....BUT I never expressed my personal feelings about him ANYWHERE in public!!!  Most civilians DO NOT UNDERSTAND what Commander and Chief means to a member of our military...It would appear you DO NOT either sir.  Our military is fraught with a breakdown in respect and understanding of the UCMJ....I submit an Army Capt in Uniform presenting a challenge coin to VP Biden at Political rally and a full Col. Protesting F-35’s at Sen Lahey’s Office in dress blues!!!  LtC Vindman’s behavior was completely and TOTALLY WRONG!!! And if you cannot see that....there ISN’T much hope for the US Military Scott D Johnston,MSgt, USAF, Fet

MSgt. Johnston, were you ever served with a Congressional subpoena and stood before Congress and swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?

Honored Social Butterfly

@mj5085 wrote:

No one has to offer you or any one else an excuse for the Lt. Col. behavior as he did nothing wrong. He acted just as an honorable member of our military should. When he heard something that was wrong he reported it, and the person who he reported it to told him what to do, and he did it. When we was ordered by Congress to tell them about what happened he did it. All should keep in mind the Presidents own National Security adviser said this was like a drug deal, and that backs up that that what the Lt. Col. did was correct. There is not much hope for our military when members of it can not see what the Lt. Col. was correct and acted the way all members should act.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

mj5085:  Most civilians DO NOT UNDERSTAND what Commander and Chief means to a member of our military...It would appear you DO NOT either sir. 

We all have differing opinions, but it seems to me that Vindman served his country exactly as he was supposed to. Like all members of the military, he swore this oath:

"I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."

This is  an oath to our Constitution, not the President, and when he saw Trump doing wrong, he testified about it.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Panjandrum wrote:

mj5085:  Most civilians DO NOT UNDERSTAND what Commander and Chief means to a member of our military...It would appear you DO NOT either sir. 

We all have differing opinions, but it seems to me that Vindman served his country exactly as he was supposed to. Like all members of the military, he swore this oath:

"I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."

This is  an oath to our Constitution, not the President, and when he saw Trump doing wrong, he testified about it.

You are exactly right. Of course, tRump supporters will give erroneous excuses why you are wrong.

Honored Social Butterfly

couchhw:   Lt. Col. Vindman is not a Patriot. He is an embarrassment to our great military. May he go down in the history books as a weak military officer, one who does not understand nor accept his role as a military officer. To go around the military chain of command to allege dirt on his Commander in Chief (solely based on his prejudiced opinion) is unforgivable. 

An excellent example of what today's Republican Party has turned into.

Honored Social Butterfly

THE TRUMP CULT!!!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@couchhw wrote:

You obviously do not understand patriotism or the responsibilities of a military officer. Your prejudice is clearly on display.

Regular Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010                       For one, he’s not timid about his patriotism: “I have dedicated my entire professional life to the United States of America,” he writes in his opening statement before House committees. For another, he’s an officer in the U.S. Army whose tours of duty include South Korea and Germany, not to mention a combat tour in Iraq. “In Iraq, I was wounded in an IED attack and awarded a Purple Heart.

Oh Lord, here we go again lets bad month anyone who came from a foreign Country that tells their story that The Donald Mr. Bone Spurs does not like. It does not matter what they did with their lives, especially a Military person, who just may have gone to War and gotten a Purple Heart while doing it, to PROTECT THIS COUNTRY. You are now no good, maybe even a traitor. He passed a background check, did Ivanka and Jared??

It absolutely boils my blood when he has 2 wives from foreign countries you can hardly understand, his family was from Germany and I understand his Dad claimed to be a different  Nationalalaty out of shame. What great things have they done for this country when it comes to war?  How come they were allowed here in the 1st place as a foreigner when he hates them so much? How did his In-Laws get citizenship so fast?  All they do is LIVE OFF OF Foreign Countries and make MONEY.  

He and his family are NO BETTER than anyone else at this point, we put our pants on the same way they do.  As a matter of fact, there is a heck of a lot of people in the country better that he and his family at this point.

What I'd really like to do, is know when he's being moved out of Office, get a plane ticket and sit on the steps and watch his furniture be removed. Plus watch his 3 smug kids esp Donald Jr. get kicked out, as they think they just think they are GODS gift to the World. I have never seen any other President have such smug kids as his. 

Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman Thank you for your Service and the Love of Your Country.

You're my McCarthy.     ************

Live For Today, No One is Guaranteed a TOMORROW !
Regular Social Butterfly

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png