Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Long List of Retailers Closing Thanksgiving

Message 1 of 10
MaVolta posted..

I like the idea of retailers closing to give their employees a break. But for stores that open, there seems to be no shortage of people who want to shop 'til they drop. I won't be one of them.

=======================================================

That is why they are open...if people did not shop on Thanksgiving they would be closed.

Years ago stores were closed on Sunday know for many stores its the best day for them.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10

I also realize that many of the people who do not work on Thanksgiving do not get paid for that day off. It would be lovely if everyone did but many cannot afford a 4 or three day workweek. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10

Centristsin2010 wrote:

Let's not forget there are MANY that still have to work.....hospital workers, law enforcement, the military, fire fighters, healthcare workers serving the disabled and the elderly and many more industries.  Though obviously, these are necessary.  Shopping in brick and morter stores?  Not so much.....  Need to or want to shop?  Go online......

True and a very good point.  I understand that some jobs are necessary but I am happy that the stores won't be open!!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10

I like the idea of retailers closing to give their employees a break. But for stores that open, there seems to be no shortage of people who want to shop 'til they drop. I won't be one of them.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

I am happy to see that these retailers are closing on Thanksgiving, their workers can spend time with their families.

I did notice that Walmart isn't closing.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

@nyadrn wrote:

My Dad almost always had to work and we always waited for him to get home!!

I am happy to see these stores closing!   There will be plenty of time to shop!

Let's not forget there are MANY that still have to work.....hospital workers, law enforcement, the military, fire fighters, healthcare workers serving the disabled and the elderly and many more industries.  Though obviously, these are necessary.  Shopping in brick and morter stores?  Not so much.....  Need to or want to shop?  Go online......

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

@nyadrn wrote:

As an auto worker I have worked 12 hrs a day on every holiday you can mention, especially when i was a junior supv and was always tagged "it" for partial production.  So it goes with millions that DONT work in retail. More than once I have worked 12 hour days from before xmas to after new years.

As far as black friday, I dont go ANYWHERE there is a crazy crowd unless there is going to be drunken bachanalia. most grocery stores will be open all weekend; here in mayberry they roate who will be open for a partial day ON thanksgiving. Of course, there is always a place open for us to buy that holiday cheer Smiley Happy

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

I've never shopped on Thanksgiving other than maybe getting gas or attending a ball game.  And I think the Thanksgiving Day money grab is unnecessary.  But "happy"?  Not particularly.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Long List of Retailers Closing Thanksgiving

Message 10 of 10

How do you feel about some of these popular stores closing for Thanksgiving? Are you happy to see they are letting their employees spend time with their loved ones?

https://bestblackfriday.com/blog/stores-closed-on-thanksgiving-day-2017/

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors