Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Living While Being Black in White America

Message 11 of 51

@Soosie wrote:
I’m the one with the swimming example. Historically, black people were not allowed to swim in the same pools or beaches as whites, and therefore had subpar access and opportunity to learn to swim....................I see a key word here......."Historically." Why in the world would this become your big issue? If it is so important, why are you not at the Y teaching people to swim? Don't you think that more productive than posting about it? How do you see the problem of blacks not being able to swim today as a cause to take up? Are there no whites who cannot swim? Shame on you for excluding one race of people in your cause. Seems a bit racist.

It’s not my “big issue.” Structural racism/racial equity is. I wasn’t going to respond to your reference to my old swimming pool post until it became part of this thread’s conversation. When I initially posted it, I was trying to provide a real-life example that you could possibly relate to, and empathize with.

When my African American boss told me back in the late 80s that this is why many black people don’t swim, it was the first real-life example of structural racism “I” could relate to.  I did, in fact, provide free swimming lessons at my apartment complex (99% black residents, and me, apparently). For years. 

And yes, there are whites who cannot swim. I pointed that out in the post you quote.  To illustrate the significant disparity between the percentage of blacks who can swim vs. the percentage of whites who can.  Racial equity means race is no longer a predictor of outcomes. In order to attain that, in this example, you have to increase the percentage of black kids who can swim until it equals the percentage of white kids who can.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 51

@Olderscout66 wrote:

While there are a few integrated swimming pools operated by city Governments in the Old South, there's nowhere near as many as there were before 1964.

Apparently you still want to live in the past.  While there might be some areas where racism exists, they are exceptions not the rule.  A local city operates a recreation center where they have an Olympic size swimming pool.  This is in south Texas and there is no racial requirements there.  Our granddaughter is earning money for college as a lifeguard at a commercial recreation facility in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.  There is no racial requirements there.

It appears that there are some here who has failed to move on with the times but are still living in the past.  From what I'm noticing, it is liberals who keep bringing up skin color in most all their discussions....  Makes one wonder who is really biased.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 51

@Soosie wrote:
01-2019 04:41 PM
It sounds like the left is longing for the '50s again............This is true and it makes no sense. Have some people not been out of their home since the 50's? This is one of the reasons I keep working. I would hate to go into my home, stay, only live by what is on the internet and offer a new word called, "Yeahbutt" to any progress that has been made since the 50's.

I'm old enough that I can recall the communist agitators from the mid to late 1940s, 1950's.  And many of these posts sound exactly what we heard from them in an attempt to divide and conquer. 

I can't believe that the many posts from the left are meant to accomplish homogeneity but rather to further divide.   

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 51

While there are a few integrated swimming pools operated by city Governments in the Old South, there's nowhere near as many as there were before 1964.

Blacks still suffer a racist-induced lack of access to swimming pools. When the civil Rights Act passed, the Old Confederacy closed all the public pools and arranged laws to promote "neighborhood associations" wherever the neighbors could afford a pool and meet all the conditions for operating one. More recently commercial facilities have been constructed, but they're not the PUBLIC pools that had affordable admission fees.

Funny (not really) thing - very few black neighborhoods could meet the conditions to form an association or attract the commercial facilities so to this day black children are less likely to have an opportunity to learn to swim.

But Republicans will deny this and pretend this form of discrimination is no more when in reality its just become more clever at hiding in plain sight.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 51
I’m the one with the swimming example. Historically, black people were not allowed to swim in the same pools or beaches as whites, and therefore had subpar access and opportunity to learn to swim....................I see a key word here......."Historically." Why in the world would this become your big issue? If it is so important, why are you not at the Y teaching people to swim? Don't you think that more productive than posting about it? How do you see the problem of blacks not being able to swim today as a cause to take up? Are there no whites who cannot swim? Shame on you for excluding one race of people in your cause. Seems a bit racist.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 51
01-2019 04:41 PM
It sounds like the left is longing for the '50s again............This is true and it makes no sense. Have some people not been out of their home since the 50's? This is one of the reasons I keep working. I would hate to go into my home, stay, only live by what is on the internet and offer a new word called, "Yeahbutt" to any progress that has been made since the 50's.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 51
Failure to act, though, is implicit approval of disparity based on race. .....................Continued discussion to try to make a problem that I don't have is perhaps trying to shift one you have to my back. Sorry, no takers. I would rather keep my black friends and just wonder what the heck is wrong with some people who only see a negative side of life. I have seen in my own family some who rather than acknowledge and fix their own problems, they just try to divert them to someone else.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 51

@aruzinsky wrote:

Thank White men for raising the quality of life for everyone via technology.  The poorest people today live better and longer than the richest people did a century ago.  Thanks to White men, you can afford a $12.99 box fan to keep you cool instead of having a slave or servant fan you with a palm branch.

Instead of counting their technological blessings due to White men, the greedy liberal ingrates want you to focus on keeping up with the Jones, especially if the Jones are White.

So "white men" (I thought the right didn't see color) designed and built all box fans?  Interesting.

Maybe people live longer as a result of the research and medical developments achieved by doctors and researchers from the Middle East and doctors of many other races here in America and abroad?

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 51

@FredSmif wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

No one was booted by a Nazi. When you are ready to get serious, let me know. This is an issue certainly worth considering - but serious considering.

I didn't say anyone was booted by a Nazi. I used that as a hypothetical for you to consider as if you  were in such a situation.

Have you ever been subjected to arbitrary discrediting where your protestations and even questions were ignored and disregarded? Please tell us about it. How did it make you feel?

FYI, I am very serious.

I do not understand why you brought a Nazi into this. It only confuses things.

But to answer your question, if I were talking on my cell phone in a lobby and a Nazi threw me out, I would not be happy - and I'd wonder if I was in an old movie. But I do not see how that relates. I hope that resolves the issue for "us".

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 51

@BigLib wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@Soosie wrote:
"Being black is not a culture, .......... From the posts I read here, blacks do have a different culture. I have been told that they never have been allowed to go to a swimming pool. I read that whites are to suffer from guilt now and for the rest of our lives. My black friends find that to be an incorrect statement. They, like me have no idea where some people pull this information from. I think many people are looking at the way things used to be, not as they are today. I am beginning to think the south may be more progressive than some other areas. If we talked to our Black friends about how oppressed they are, they would get in their Lexus and drive away. We care about all our legal people. As long as some seniors live in the past, they will never enjoy what exists today.

I’m the one with the swimming example. Historically, black people were not allowed to swim in the same pools or beaches as whites, and therefore had subpar access and opportunity to learn to swim.  It has resulted in a disparate ability to swim. I mentioned that most of us are taught to swim by parents, and when parents have had limited access, it disrupts generational transfer of that skill.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/01/sports/black-people-pools-racism.html

https://www.usaswimmingfoundation.org/utility/landing-pages/news/2017/07/13/usa-swimming-foundation-...

It’s an example that perfectly illustrates the difference between personal anecdotes and structural racism. So your friend can swim. Great.  Why can only 36% of black kids swim, compared to 60% of white kids?  Personal experience is valid as personal experience. But it’s not a valid representation of what happens on a national scale.

Soosie's contention isn't that black people can't swim, @ManicProgressive. She stated that by the "posts here" that she's been told black people have never been allowed to go to a swimming pool. When asked to prove it, of course, a great big nothingburger. If it was up to Pool Patrol Paula, though, she'd finally have one right.

I know.  That’s why I restated what I had stated before. Her representation wasn’t accurate.  

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors