Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Living While Being Black in White America

Message 1 of 51

@afisher wrote:

NO to both, YEA because they are not GOP.   Perhaps you do not know / care / understand how GOTV works when a straight party ticket is available, etc etc etc - such a how the State of TX defines candidates for the Judiciary.   ( hint:  you can't be an Independent candidate).   

You cheer the election of black women but then claim that it is not about race and not about gender. How does that work?

What is it about their election that makes you happy - only that they are not Republicans - or is there another element in there?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 51

@BigLib wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:

@BigLib wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:

@BigLib wrote:

@Soosie wrote:

Get yourself a few good black friends so you can learn their culture first hand.

Their culture??

"Being black is not a culture, but being American, Cameroonian, or Kenyan or Nigerian or from Ethiopia is. The color of your skin or your race has nothing to do with your culture. Culture is a trait of traditions, manners, food, architecture and so on… but race is not one of them."

https://medium.com/@richardsondx/being-black-is-not-a-culture-1fc6ed492d7e

Yep, went to school with black people. We were all pretty much born in the same hospital. Lived in the same city within walking distance. Had the same household chores. Had our sleepovers and parties. Learned the same subjects. We all got married, had kids, had jobs. Suffered loses. Shared successes. And all this time, I had no idea those very same black people I've known since my school years, have such a vastly different culture than my own. Whoda thunk it! Excuse me, I have a few phone calls to make.....

You never heard of ebonics.  Ax me about it.

I used to have some white redneck neighbors, grown-arsed men, that said "ax" instead of "ask", but they always somehow managed to properly enunciate the n-word, and always managed to work it into a conversation. Funny how southern social dialect is deemed uniquely American, but black social dialect is "cultural".

Being black is still not a culture.

Every Black person who has ever accused White people of "appropriating Black culture" disagrees with you.  

Googling "appropriating Black culture" gets 33,300 results.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22appropriating+Black+culture%22&oq=%22appropriating+Black+culture%...

I doubt that anyone, even other liberals, agree with you.

I doubt you understand the term cultural appropriation. This isn't about white people wearing dreads, or black people straightening their hair.

The "typical American family" isn't unique to white people - black people have them, too. Black kid, white kid - both grow up in 10th generation American working class families next door to each other. Both are the first in their families to go to college. Both root for the same baseball team. Celebrate the same holidays. Drive SUVs. Have kids of their own. How, exactly, are their "cultures" any different?

Cons are always going on about needing to "assimilate" to American culture. Black Americans are every bit a part of American culture as white Americans are, but racists will never see black Americans as equals. Some racists insist that if you befriend black people, it will give you a chance to learn their "culture". Oh, yeah, no doubt a black kid from Cleveland couldn't possibly relate to a white kid from Detroit.

But, do you have anything interesting to say?

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 51

NO to both, YEA because they are not GOP.   Perhaps you do not know / care / understand how GOTV works when a straight party ticket is available, etc etc etc - such a how the State of TX defines candidates for the Judiciary.   ( hint:  you can't be an Independent candidate).   

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 51

@aruzinsky wrote:

@BigLib wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:

@BigLib wrote:

@Soosie wrote:

Get yourself a few good black friends so you can learn their culture first hand.

Their culture??

"Being black is not a culture, but being American, Cameroonian, or Kenyan or Nigerian or from Ethiopia is. The color of your skin or your race has nothing to do with your culture. Culture is a trait of traditions, manners, food, architecture and so on… but race is not one of them."

Yep, went to school with black people. We were all pretty much born in the same hospital. Lived in the same city within walking distance. Had the same household chores. Had our sleepovers and parties. Learned the same subjects. We all got married, had kids, had jobs. Suffered loses. Shared successes. And all this time, I had no idea those very same black people I've known since my school years, have such a vastly different culture than my own. Whoda thunk it! Excuse me, I have a few phone calls to make.....

I used to have some white redneck neighbors, grown-arsed men, that said "ax" instead of "ask", but they always somehow managed to properly enunciate the n-word, and always managed to work it into a conversation. Funny how southern social dialect is deemed uniquely American, but black social dialect is "cultural".

Every Black person who has ever accused White people of "appropriating Black culture" disagrees with you.  

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22appropriating+Black+culture%22&oq=%22appropriating+Black+culture%...

I doubt you understand the term cultural appropriation. This isn't about white people wearing dreads, or black people straightening their hair.

The "typical American family" isn't unique to white people - black people have them, too. Black kid, white kid - both grow up in 10th generation American working class families next door to each other. Both are the first in their families to go to college. Both root for the same baseball team. Celebrate the same holidays. Drive SUVs. Have kids of their own. How, exactly, are their "cultures" any different?

Cons are always going on about needing to "assimilate" to American culture. Black Americans are every bit a part of American culture as white Americans are, but racists will never see black Americans as equals. Some racists insist that if you befriend black people, it will give you a chance to learn their "culture". Oh, yeah, no doubt a black kid from Cleveland couldn't possibly relate to a white kid from Detroit.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 51

@afisher wrote:

Best news:   Cities in TX are moving to erase that picture.    Yesterday, Harris County ( think Houston) swore in 17 African American Women Lawyers.   

For those that don't know much, if anything, about TX, the State elects their judges.    2018 was also the last year where a person could vote "straight ticket' by pushing a single button.    The Straight Ticket rule was ushered into law by Republicans and then the DEMS embraced it, for what is was.

In many large cities, that Straight Ticket action was promoted by both parties, so it was a matter of GOTV.    GOP were removed from judicial positions across the State, including my City.   

Harris County Female Judges

Here is a picture of the 17 African American Judges sworn in yesterday!    YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why "YEA!!!!!" - because of their gender or because of their race? One would be racism and the other would be sexism.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 51

@BigLib wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:

@BigLib wrote:

@Soosie wrote:

Their culture??

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 51

@afisher wrote:

Cities in TX are moving to erase that picture.  

Are we now talking about a quota system of elected officials?  I don't see that is what the voters are doing, but voting in those they prefer.  Our largest cities already have Black mayors, including women;  Black representatives of both genders, etc.  So what's the big deal and are we getting the best officials when we start on a quota system as has been suggested.  I vote via an absentee ballot and when researching who to vote for I look at the individual's experience and qualifications.

Further, I have never voted a straight ballot but for the individual....

Living while having any skin color in America depends as much on the individual as anything.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 51

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:

Thank White men for raising the quality of life for everyone via technology.  The poorest people today live better and longer than the richest people did a century ago.  Thanks to White men, you can afford a $12.99 box fan to keep you cool instead of having a slave or servant fan you with a palm branch.

Instead of counting their technological blessings due to White men, the greedy liberal ingrates want you to focus on keeping up with the Jones, especially if the Jones are White.

So "white men" (I thought the right didn't see color) designed and built all box fans?  Interesting.

Maybe people live longer as a result of the research and medical developments achieved by doctors and researchers from the Middle East and doctors of many other races here in America and abroad?

Yes, Nikola Tesla , a White man, invented the AC electric motor.  A large portion of the Middle East, e.g., Israel and Greece, is occupied by Whites so I don't see your point in mentioning the Middle East.

I don't represent other conservatives but I can safely say that I don't have White male guilt because my White male pride precludes it.   Effeminate ingrate liberals can go to heck.

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 51

Best news:   Cities in TX are moving to erase that picture.    Yesterday, Harris County ( think Houston) swore in 17 African American Women Lawyers.   

For those that don't know much, if anything, about TX, the State elects their judges.    2018 was also the last year where a person could vote "straight ticket' by pushing a single button.    The Straight Ticket rule was ushered into law by Republicans and then the DEMS embraced it, for what is was.

In many large cities, that Straight Ticket action was promoted by both parties, so it was a matter of GOTV.    GOP were removed from judicial positions across the State, including my City.   

Harris County Female Judges

Here is a picture of the 17 African American Judges sworn in yesterday!    YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 51

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:

Thank White men for raising the quality of life for everyone via technology.  The poorest people today live better and longer than the richest people did a century ago.  Thanks to White men, you can afford a $12.99 box fan to keep you cool instead of having a slave or servant fan you with a palm branch.

Instead of counting their technological blessings due to White men, the greedy liberal ingrates want you to focus on keeping up with the Jones, especially if the Jones are White.

So "white men" (I thought the right didn't see color) designed and built all box fans?  Interesting.

Maybe people live longer as a result of the research and medical developments achieved by doctors and researchers from the Middle East and doctors of many other races here in America and abroad?

Allow me to clarify a misunderstanding of yours. Conservatives are not color blind in the sense that they cannot "see" color. We are color blind in that we do not attribute abilities or lack there of based on skin color. 

That is where we differ from those on the left who see skin color as determining a lack of capability that must be compensated for by the government.

Kudos
Views