Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Living While Being Black in White America

Message 21 of 51

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@Soosie wrote:
"Being black is not a culture, .......... From the posts I read here, blacks do have a different culture. I have been told that they never have been allowed to go to a swimming pool. I read that whites are to suffer from guilt now and for the rest of our lives. My black friends find that to be an incorrect statement. They, like me have no idea where some people pull this information from. I think many people are looking at the way things used to be, not as they are today. I am beginning to think the south may be more progressive than some other areas. If we talked to our Black friends about how oppressed they are, they would get in their Lexus and drive away. We care about all our legal people. As long as some seniors live in the past, they will never enjoy what exists today.

I’m the one with the swimming example. Historically, black people were not allowed to swim in the same pools or beaches as whites, and therefore had subpar access and opportunity to learn to swim.  It has resulted in a disparate ability to swim. I mentioned that most of us are taught to swim by parents, and when parents have had limited access, it disrupts generational transfer of that skill.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/01/sports/black-people-pools-racism.html

https://www.usaswimmingfoundation.org/utility/landing-pages/news/2017/07/13/usa-swimming-foundation-...

It’s an example that perfectly illustrates the difference between personal anecdotes and structural racism. So your friend can swim. Great.  Why can only 36% of black kids swim, compared to 60% of white kids?  Personal experience is valid as personal experience. But it’s not a valid representation of what happens on a national scale.

Soosie's contention isn't that black people can't swim, @ManicProgressive. She stated that by the "posts here" that she's been told black people have never been allowed to go to a swimming pool. When asked to prove it, of course, a great big nothingburger. If it was up to Pool Patrol Paula, though, she'd finally have one right.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 51

@Soosie wrote:
Let me see, you don't like whites, southern people are rednecks, you think we are slow witted and you are some supreme being. Keep your mis-informed self in your cloud. For you see, we don't care.

@SoosieIn so far as the rest of your post - Since this thread isn't that long, can you point out where I ever said I "don't like whites"? Of course you can't. But I will tell you who I don't like - I don't like racists nor the people who defend that crap. I never called any "southern people" rednecks - the ones I mentioned were all born right here in Ohio, and Ohio is hardly the "south". More strange logic. Where did I ever mention "slow witted"? That's right, that's another fairy tale. Keep your imaginary conversations in your cloud. For, you see, facts matter.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 51

It sounds like the left is longing for the '50s again.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 51

@Soosie wrote:
You must have lived in a rough neighborhood..

Rough neighborhood, huh? Wow, that's some logic. Yeah. Paris Hilton has been known to drop the n-word, too. No doubt Beverly Hills, where she lives, is a rough ole neighborhood, too. smh

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 51

@Soosie wrote:
"Being black is not a culture, .......... From the posts I read here, blacks do have a different culture. I have been told that they never have been allowed to go to a swimming pool. I read that whites are to suffer from guilt now and for the rest of our lives. My black friends find that to be an incorrect statement. They, like me have no idea where some people pull this information from. I think many people are looking at the way things used to be, not as they are today. I am beginning to think the south may be more progressive than some other areas. If we talked to our Black friends about how oppressed they are, they would get in their Lexus and drive away. We care about all our legal people. As long as some seniors live in the past, they will never enjoy what exists today.

I’m the one with the swimming example. Historically, black people were not allowed to swim in the same pools or beaches as whites, and therefore had subpar access and opportunity to learn to swim.  It has resulted in a disparate ability to swim. I mentioned that most of us are taught to swim by parents, and when parents have had limited access, it disrupts generational transfer of that skill.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/01/sports/black-people-pools-racism.html

https://www.usaswimmingfoundation.org/utility/landing-pages/news/2017/07/13/usa-swimming-foundation-...

It’s an example that perfectly illustrates the difference between personal anecdotes and structural racism. So your friend can swim. Great.  Why can only 36% of black kids swim, compared to 60% of white kids?  Personal experience is valid as personal experience. But it’s not a valid representation of what happens on a national scale.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 51

@Soosie wrote:

@BigLib.................As I have been told when I asked to provide information from a post, I will tell you what I am told. I won't do your work for you. Look it up.

@SoosieAs suspected, there are no "posts here" that state black people have never been allowed to go swimming, as you claimed, and there are no "posts here" that state whites are to suffer guilt for the rest of our lives, as you also claimed. You couldn't "do my work for me" because we both know that since those posts don't even exist, there's nothing to bother with "look it up". Done with the right wing fairy tales now.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 51

@Soosie wrote:

Here's my take on the white guilt that seems to eat away at some of you dudes.  Get yourself a few good black friends so you can learn their culture first hand.  I don't find the big wall of divide between me and my friends.  I am told to ask them if they have ever been swimming.  One of my friends is the one who suggested to me to me to join the Y so that I do water exercise with her.  I took a photo of the house next door to me when it was for sale because a black friend's daughter and her family were looking for a house in that price range.  

I'll be darned if I will suffer from white guilt.  I pick my friends by other reasons than color of skin.  If I were thrashing about in white guilt they would write me off.  Perhaps, those of you that suffer from this should get your mind in a more positive place.  Suggestion.....get yourself some black friends and stop only hunting stories surfing the net.  Know them personally.  Bet none of them will come to you while you sit at your laptop.   White guilt, my butt.

You are describing personal anecdotes, and seem to fail to understand structural racism.  

Nobody is asking you you to feel guilty. We are asking that as a member of society, you do your best to eradicate structural racism.  We will all benefit when that is dismantled.  Failure to act, though, is implicit approval of disparity based on race. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 51
I used to have some white redneck neighbors, grown-arsed men, that said "ax" instead of "ask", but they always somehow managed to properly enunciate the n-word, and always managed to work it into a conversation. Funny how southern social dialect is deemed uniquely American, but black social dialect is "cultural".............You must have lived in a rough neighborhood. I think it is so charming of you to talk about white rednecks. If you feel comfortable with that, come south, find one and call them that. You will find they will act as strongly toward you as when a black is called an improper name. Let me see, you don't like whites, southern people are rednecks, you think we are slow witted and you are some supreme being. Keep your mis-informed self in your cloud. For you see, we don't care.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 51

@BigLib.................As I have been told when I asked to provide information from a post, I will tell you what I am told. I won't do your work for you. Look it up.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 51

@aruzinsky wrote:

@BigLib wrote:

@Soosie wrote:

Get yourself a few good black friends so you can learn their culture first hand.

Their culture??

"Being black is not a culture, but being American, Cameroonian, or Kenyan or Nigerian or from Ethiopia is. The color of your skin or your race has nothing to do with your culture. Culture is a trait of traditions, manners, food, architecture and so on… but race is not one of them."

https://medium.com/@richardsondx/being-black-is-not-a-culture-1fc6ed492d7e

Yep, went to school with black people. We were all pretty much born in the same hospital. Lived in the same city within walking distance. Had the same household chores. Had our sleepovers and parties. Learned the same subjects. We all got married, had kids, had jobs. Suffered loses. Shared successes. And all this time, I had no idea those very same black people I've known since my school years, have such a vastly different culture than my own. Whoda thunk it! Excuse me, I have a few phone calls to make.....

You never heard of ebonics.  Ax me about it.

I used to have some white redneck neighbors, grown-arsed men, that said "ax" instead of "ask", but they always somehow managed to properly enunciate the n-word, and always managed to work it into a conversation. Funny how southern social dialect is deemed uniquely American, but black social dialect is "cultural".

Being black is still not a culture.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors