Do vitamins and supplements really work? Get your questions answered by leading brain health experts.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Living While Being Black in White America

Message 31 of 51

@BigLib wrote:

@Soosie wrote:

Get yourself a few good black friends so you can learn their culture first hand.

Their culture??

"Being black is not a culture, but being American, Cameroonian, or Kenyan or Nigerian or from Ethiopia is. The color of your skin or your race has nothing to do with your culture. Culture is a trait of traditions, manners, food, architecture and so on… but race is not one of them."

https://medium.com/@richardsondx/being-black-is-not-a-culture-1fc6ed492d7e

Yep, went to school with black people. We were all pretty much born in the same hospital. Lived in the same city within walking distance. Had the same household chores. Had our sleepovers and parties. Learned the same subjects. We all got married, had kids, had jobs. Suffered loses. Shared successes. And all this time, I had no idea those very same black people I've known since my school years, have such a vastly different culture than my own. Whoda thunk it! Excuse me, I have a few phone calls to make.....

You never heard of ebonics.  Ax me about it.

Old Witch
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 51

@Soosie wrote:
"Being black is not a culture, .......... From the posts I read here, blacks do have a different culture. I have been told that they never have been allowed to go to a swimming pool. And you got that from the posts here? Please provide one. I read that whites are to suffer from guilt now and for the rest of our lives. And you got that from the posts here? Please provide one .My black friends find that to be an incorrect statement. None of my friends, regardless of their color, believe in fantasies. They, like me have no idea where some people pull this information from. My friends, regardless of their color, know "that information" only comes from the minds of those suffering with white fragility. I think many people are looking at the way things used to be, not as they are today. Here's a hint - that man being told to leave the hotel didn't happen 50 years ago - that stuff STILL happens today. I am beginning to think the south may be more progressive than some other areas. Of course you do.

from July of this year....

"A former police chief and two officers in Florida were charged with federal civil rights violations after pinning a series of burglaries on an innocent black teenager.

Biscayne Park police department’s former chief Ray Atesanio, as well as officers Raul Fernandez and Charlie Dayoub, plead not guilty this week to falsely charging a black Haitian-American teenager with burglary. But an internal probe of the department in 2014 found that, under the ex-police chief, officers were encouraged to charge nearby blacks with reported crimes.

Documents reviewed by the Miami Herald reveal how Mr Atesanio was allegedly hoping to bolster data surrounding successful convictions for crimes in Biscayne Park by charging innocent minorities who may have past criminal records. 

“If they have burglaries that are open cases that are not solved yet, if you see anybody black walking through our streets and they have somewhat of a record, arrest them so we can pin them for all the burglaries,” Anthony De La Torre, who worked in the department under Mr Atesanio, told outside investigators conducting the probe. ”They were basically doing this to have a 100 per cent clearance rate for the city.”

A third of the police department told investigators they were regularly encouraged to file false charges and felt pressure to oblige with such demands."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/police-racism-us-florida-miami-crime-raimundo-ates...

Yeah, that's the "progressive" south alright.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 51
"Being black is not a culture, .......... From the posts I read here, blacks do have a different culture. I have been told that they never have been allowed to go to a swimming pool. I read that whites are to suffer from guilt now and for the rest of our lives. My black friends find that to be an incorrect statement. They, like me have no idea where some people pull this information from. I think many people are looking at the way things used to be, not as they are today. I am beginning to think the south may be more progressive than some other areas. If we talked to our Black friends about how oppressed they are, they would get in their Lexus and drive away. We care about all our legal people. As long as some seniors live in the past, they will never enjoy what exists today.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 51

@Soosie wrote:

Get yourself a few good black friends so you can learn their culture first hand.

Their culture??

"Being black is not a culture, but being American, Cameroonian, or Kenyan or Nigerian or from Ethiopia is. The color of your skin or your race has nothing to do with your culture. Culture is a trait of traditions, manners, food, architecture and so on… but race is not one of them."

https://medium.com/@richardsondx/being-black-is-not-a-culture-1fc6ed492d7e

Yep, went to school with black people. We were all pretty much born in the same hospital. Lived in the same city within walking distance. Had the same household chores. Had our sleepovers and parties. Learned the same subjects. We all got married, had kids, had jobs. Suffered loses. Shared successes. And all this time, I had no idea those very same black people I've known since my school years, have such a vastly different culture than my own. Whoda thunk it! Excuse me, I have a few phone calls to make.....

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 51

Here's my take on the white guilt that seems to eat away at some of you dudes.  Get yourself a few good black friends so you can learn their culture first hand.  I don't find the big wall of divide between me and my friends.  I am told to ask them if they have ever been swimming.  One of my friends is the one who suggested to me to me to join the Y so that I do water exercise with her.  I took a photo of the house next door to me when it was for sale because a black friend's daughter and her family were looking for a house in that price range.  

I'll be darned if I will suffer from white guilt.  I pick my friends by other reasons than color of skin.  If I were thrashing about in white guilt they would write me off.  Perhaps, those of you that suffer from this should get your mind in a more positive place.  Suggestion.....get yourself some black friends and stop only hunting stories surfing the net.  Know them personally.  Bet none of them will come to you while you sit at your laptop.   White guilt, my butt.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 51

@rk9152 wrote:

No one was booted by a Nazi. When you are ready to get serious, let me know. This is an issue certainly worth considering - but serious considering.

I didn't say anyone was booted by a Nazi. I used that as a hypothetical for you to consider as if you  were in such a situation.

Have you ever been subjected to arbitrary discrediting where your protestations and even questions were ignored and disregarded? Please tell us about it. How did it make you feel?

FYI, I am very serious.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 51

@FredSmif wrote:

Now I see how it works. Nothing is good enough. If we are white, we must spend our days hating ourselves and our race. Otherwise we are attacked in posts using dramatic CAPS.

I'm an angry old white guy but I don't feel hate for myself or my race. However I am angry about the many injustices I see promulgated on a systemic basis against minorities, as well as those injustices perpetrated by individuals such as those involved in this latest episode of "living while black".

C'mon, man, how would you like it if you were talking on your cell phone in the hotel lobby and were booted out by the Nazis for no rational reason whatsoever and your remonstrances entirely ignored?

I recall from the original article that the guy had to go to his room to get his possessions. Didn't the police think this was odd, that this guy is being called a "trespasser" when he has a room? I "suppose" though that perhaps their hands were tied in this case...but I don't know. Were they?

My reaction on reading was "this <sticky stuff> has to stop."

Anyway, I do believe that there is "good enough", but it's not being done.

No one was booted by a Nazi. When you are ready to get serious, let me know. This is an issue certainly worth considering - but serious considering.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 51

Now I see how it works. Nothing is good enough. If we are white, we must spend our days hating ourselves and our race. Otherwise we are attacked in posts using dramatic CAPS.

I'm an angry old white guy but I don't feel hate for myself or my race. However I am angry about the many injustices I see promulgated on a systemic basis against minorities, as well as those injustices perpetrated by individuals such as those involved in this latest episode of "living while black".

C'mon, man, how would you like it if you were talking on your cell phone in the hotel lobby and were booted out by the Nazis for no rational reason whatsoever and your remonstrances entirely ignored?

I recall from the original article that the guy had to go to his room to get his possessions. Didn't the police think this was odd, that this guy is being called a "trespasser" when he has a room? I "suppose" though that perhaps their hands were tied in this case...but I don't know. Were they?

My reaction on reading was "this <sticky stuff> has to stop."

Anyway, I do believe that there is "good enough", but it's not being done.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 51

@nctarheel wrote:

@Soosie wrote:

It looks like the hotel took care of this and fired the employees.  

They haven't quite taken care of the situation.

Expect a sizable, out of court, settlement too.

After all, poor training in diversity is the root cause of employees acting the way they did.

That the MANAGER was the culprit really highlights this lack of training.

The company needs to pay for that shortcoming on their part.

If one had been in HUMAN RESOURCES, one would expect a lawsuit for those actions, one would establish a diversity training program or upgrade to an existing one, and one would fire the employees....... not just firing the employees and thinking they had taken care of it.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 51

@Soosie wrote:

It looks like the hotel took care of this and fired the employees.  

They haven't quite taken care of the situation.

Expect a sizable, out of court, settlement too.

After all, poor training in diversity is the root cause of employees acting the way they did.

That the MANAGER was the culprit really highlights this lack of training.

The company needs to pay for that shortcoming on their part.

If one had been in HUMAN RESOURCES, one would expect a lawsuit for those actions, one would establish a diversity training program or upgrade to an existing one, and one would fire the employees....... not just firing the employees and thinking they had taken care of it.

Kudos
Views