Honored Social Butterfly

Liberals Were Very Wrong About Tax Cuts. Again.

Contra the Chicken Littles, tax relief has once again spurred economic growth.

For those of you who survived the Great GOP Tax Cut Massacre, things are finally looking up. The unemployment rate fell to 3.6 percent last month, the lowest level since 1969. We’ve now experienced over a full year of unemployment at 4 percent or lower. The economy beat projections, adding another 263,000 jobs in April. Wages are rising.

It was Larry Summers, Bill Clinton’s former Treasury Secretary and Barack Obama’s White House economic adviser, who warned that tax reform would lead to over 10,000 dead Americans every year in December of 2017. Summers, considered a reasonable moderate by today’s political standards, was just one of the many fearmongers.

The same month, after cautioning that passage of tax cuts would portend “Armageddon,” then-House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi explained that the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA), a reform of corporate tax codes and a wide-ranging relief, was “the worst bill in the history of the United States Congress.” Worse than the Fugitive Slave Act? Worse than the Espionage Act? Worse than congressional approval of the internment of Japanese Americans? That’s a reallybad bill.

The tenor of left-wing cable news and punditry was predictably panic-stricken. After asserting that the cuts wouldn’t help create a single job, Bruce Bartlett told MSNBC that tax relief was “really akin to rape.” Kurt Eichenwald tweeted that “America died tonight … Millenials [sic]: move away if you can. USA is over. We killed it.” “I’m a Depression historian,” read the headline on a Washington Post op-ed. “The GOP tax bill is straight out of 1929,” proclaimed the same writer. And so on.

None of this is even getting into the MSM’s straight news coverage, which persistently (and falsely) painted the bill as a tax cut for the wealthy. “One-Third of Middle Class Families Could End up Paying More Under the GOP Tax Plan” notedMoney magazine. An Associated Press headline read, “House Passes First Rewrite of Nation’s Tax Laws in Three Decades, Providing Steep Tax Cuts for Businesses, the Wealthy.” “Poor Americans Would Lose Billions Under Senate GOP Tax Bill” reported CNN. Yahoo News ran one piece after the next predicting doom.

The GOP tax cut’s “unstated goal is to leave the poor and vulnerable in America without the support of their government,” ABC News pretend centrist claimed. “It’s not enough to give money to rich people. Apparently, Republicans want to kick the poor and middle class in the face, too,” a columnist at Washington Post noted, leaning hard into two of the stalest canards about tax policy.

Of course, the notion that allowing Americans to keep more of their own money is tantamount to “giving” them something is just transparently specious. Does any liberal really maintain that government owns all your income, and anything you keep is a gift? Tax rates were not handed to us on Mount Sinai, they were cooked up by economists. In truth, you only “give” taxes, you never keep. And the government only spends.

In any event, the idea that the poor or middle class are being shaken down by the cuts was even more of a dishonest claim. As Chris Edwards has pointed out, the TCJA’s largest percentage tax cuts went to the middle class. Even the liberal Tax Policy Center estimated that 65 percent Americans paid less last year (6 percent paid more) due to tax reform. More than 44 percent of Americans pay no federal income tax. (Though corporate taxes are also a tax on consumers, so cuts benefitted nearly everyone.)

That hasn’t stopped former vice president Joe Biden. “There’s a $2 trillion tax cut last year. Did you feel it? Did you get anything from it? Of course not. Of course not. All of it went to folks at the top and corporations,” the presidential hopeful claimed the other day. It’s a fabrication.

Whenever you hear people bellowing about the wealthy benefitting most from across-the-board tax cuts, they always leave out the fact that wealthy pay the vast majority of income taxes: the top 20 percent of income earners paid over 95 percent of individual income taxes in 2017, the top 10 percent paid 81 percent and the top 0.1 percent paid nearly a quarter of all federal income taxes.

Now, I realize it’s unfashionable to mention that Ronald Reagan’s 1981 Economic Recovery Tax Act, an across-the-board 25 percent cut in tax rates, helped spur a 40-plus year boom after a decade of stagnation. Since that time, the Left has been dependably wrong about tax relief and deregulation. Because once again, tax relief has spurred economic growth. It’s stimulated higher productivity, and it’s created jobs.

In 2010, Barack Obama warned that a “new normal” had gripped the economy; that businesses would have fewer employees and the job market wouldn’t regain its footing. The same people who supported and presided over the slowest economic recovery in US history—despite having the most room for growth and despite throwing unprecedented amounts of money at the problem—are the nation’s biggest Chicken Littles.

“So we are very probably looking at a global recession, with no end in sight,” The New York Times’ Paul Krugman told us after the election of Donald Trump. This is the same Krugman who has spent the past few weeks mocking and belittling now-former Fed nominee Stephen Moore, who happened to be mostly right about tax reform.

Supply-side economics isn’t a panacea. We’re racking up debt and continuing spending as if it doesn’t matter. Not all the underlying numbers are positive. There are thousands of economic unknowns that can’t be quantified or computed by economists, which is why the central planners and technocrats are almost always wrong. And yes, when the recession finally comes, as it always does, liberals will once again blame tax cuts and deregulation. But to be this wrong this often deserves recognition.

Written By:  David Harsanyi

He is the author of the book, First Freedom: A Ride Through America's Enduring History with the Gun, From the Revolution to Today.

VIMTSTL
Honored Social Butterfly

Cadet Bonespurs number on unemployment are good because more Boomers retired than millineals entered the workforce and more Gen-Xers just gave up looking - it's that "labor participation rate" GOPers were so interested in when President Obama was getting us out of the Economic disaster Republicans caused with deregulation and tax cuts.

As for the jobs that are showing up, there is NO growth in real wages for the bottom 90% as ALL the increased income has gone to the top 10%.

And the DEBT is there because of Reagan and jrbush.

When Reagan entered office the Debt was $829B and when he left it was $3,757B, and increase of $1.936 TRILLION in 8 years. That additional debt added $114Billion/year to the Deficit AND the Debt every year for the last 30 years, a total of $3.510 TRILLION in debt service alone..

Jrbush entered office with a debt of $5.807TRILLION and a budget SURPLUS of $350BILLION. Junior left us with a debt of $11.910TRILLION, an increase of $6.103TRILLION, and a budget deficit of $1.4 TRILLION, an increase of $1.9TRILLION/year. That additional debt increased the Deficit by $281Billion/year for the last 10 years, a total of $2.810TRILLION just to service the jrbush debt.. And lets not forget the two worthless wars jr lied us into that have cost around $5 TRILLION to dlae and no end in sight.

So, here's the actual history of the National Debt.

$1.936 TRILLION added by Reagan 1981-1989 (incr 353%)

3.306 TRILLION added for service on the debt created by Reagan

6.103 TRILLION added by jrbush 2001-2009 (incr 109%)

2.810 TRILLION added for service on debt created by jrbush

5.000 TRILLION added by jr’s wars he lied us into

$ 19.155TRILLION Debt due to the Reagan and jrbush administrations' fiscal policies. The total debt is only $22.7Trillion, nearly 85% of which was created in TWO GOP Administrations.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Apparently the ignobles still seem to be very angry that President Obama didn't destroy the country by putting it into a recession, aka Hoovervilles.     But they don't have to worry, donald will do that as he increases the debt for absolutely no reason - reminder it is the ignobles who are tooting what a great economy there is today while ignoring the national debt.      Is that because of their inability to walk and chew gum?    Maybe!!!!   

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly

@afisher wrote:

Apparently the ignobles still seem to be very angry that President Obama didn't destroy the country by putting it into a recession, aka Hoovervilles.     But they don't have to worry, donald will do that as he increases the debt for absolutely no reason - reminder it is the ignobles who are tooting what a great economy there is today while ignoring the national debt.      Is that because of their inability to walk and chew gum?    Maybe!!!!   

These boards are a storehouse of ridiculous thoughts. But I believe the summit has been reached. Why would any American, igmoble or otherwise get mad because we didn't slip into a recession?

I do agree, however, the national debt is and has been a serious problem that the DC folks seem to think will just fade away.

Honored Social Butterfly

@afisher wrote:

It is the left that are ignorant or maybe they don't understand what the debt is. Obama doubled the debt in only 8 years. Trump added 10% to the debt in a little over two years.

Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING 

If trump is doing such a great job, what is the status of his “Promise” to pay down the national debt within 8 years?

the truth of what trump says?

Honored Social Butterfly

@williamb39198 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING 

If trump is doing such a great job, what is the status of his “Promise” to pay down the national debt within 8 years?

the truth of what trump says?

His "promise" is in 8 years. Only two have gone by. Now the left doesn't want to allow him the full time to fix the problems that Obama created?

Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING 

Well, “you can fool some of the people all of the time...”

trump knows that his promise is a lie, 

we know that his promise is a lie,

but you believe him...

guess that’s why you believe the tax cuts benefitted everyone, and the wealthy were not the main beneficiaries!

go figure

Honored Social Butterfly

@williamb39198 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING 

but you believe him...

guess that’s why you believe the tax cuts benefitted everyone, and the wealthy were not the main beneficiaries!

go figure

Some of the people is the entire left wing. I don't believe anything until it's completed. If Trump says in 8 years he will lower the debt, I will believe it when it is completed. The left says it can't be done. Why, because Obama doubled the debt?

Trump said he would lower the taxes. I didn't believe it until it was completed.

Now if we elect a Democrat President (which we won't), you all promise the green new deal, reparations, raise all the taxes, create a wealth tax, Medicare for all, more unemployment, more food stamps, free college, and other free stuff.  Do I believe it?????  I think you will try but be unsuccessful!

Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@williamb39198 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING 

but you believe him...

go figure

Some of the people is the entire left wing. I don't believe anything until it's completed. If Trump says in 8 years he will lower the debt, I will believe it when it is completed. The left says it can't be done. Why, because Obama doubled the debt?

Trump said he would lower the taxes. I didn't believe it until it was completed.

Now if we elect a Democrat President (which we won't), you all promise the green new deal, reparations, raise all the taxes, create a wealth tax, Medicare for all, more unemployment, more food stamps, free college, and other free stuff.  Do I believe it?????  I think you will try but be unsuccessful!

Trump did not say he would LOWER the debt, he said he would ELIMINATE it. Maybe he isn’t aware that the government declaring bankruptcy is not a good thing. (That has been his method in business - raid all the company assets for his personal benefit and then let the company declare bankruptcy.)

Honored Social Butterfly

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@williamb39198 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING 

but you believe him...

go figure

Trump did not say he would LOWER the debt, he said he would ELIMINATE it. Maybe he isn’t aware that the government declaring bankruptcy is not a good thing. (That has been his method in business - raid all the company assets for his personal benefit and then let the company declare bankruptcy.)

I don't remember when Trump said he would "eliminate the debt", so could you please refresh my memory by providing a link where he said it? Aging does funny things to memory.

Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@williamb39198 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING 

but you believe him...

go figure

And I believe my degree from Trump University will open all kinds of doors in the business world. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@williamb39198 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING 

but you believe him...

go figure

And I believe my degree from Trump University will open all kinds of doors in the business world. 

It will also qualify you for a "greeter position" at WalMart.

Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Oh that, we both agree. Why do you expect a con man like Trump to change? 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Just as Trump expects performance, we should as voters also. I think as long as he's doing what he promised OR attempting to get something done despite the resistance, I personally am happy. I can't speak for anyone else. He made several things his agenda. I expect him to try like Hell to get them done.

If the guy (or gal) you vote for does that, what more can you ask for?

Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Just as Trump expects performance, we should as voters also. I think as long as he's doing what he promised OR attempting to get something done despite the resistance, I personally am happy. I can't speak for anyone else. He made several things his agenda. I expect him to try like Hell to get them done.

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

How about that repeal and replace the ACA on Day 1.  How's that going?

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

The left is a formidable resistance, don't you think?

Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

The Right was a good mentor during the Obama administration, ya think?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

The Right was a good mentor during the Obama administration, ya think?

This "Oh yeah, well you did it too" schoolyard approach has been responded to before. I'll try again (maybe I'll get a giggle or a Judge Judy picture).

The Republicans did (properly so) oppose the ideology of Obama legislatively. However, there was no Party led "resistance". There were no constant investigations of his past and his associates. Plus he did not have to deal with the aftermath of a corrupt DoJ. As to these boards - I never saw "Obama sucks" or ToadPOTUS or the like.

As you like to say, "Thanks for asking".

Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

The Republicans did (properly so) oppose the ideology of Obama legislatively. However, there was no Party led "resistance".

There were no constant investigations of his past

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

The Republicans did (properly so) oppose the ideology of Obama legislatively. However, there was no Party led "resistance".

There were no constant investigations of his past

How many millions were spent on a Special Council and his staff to look into the birther issue? And then there are the Congressional Committees making headlines every day - I do not recall it on that issue.

Where is Judge Judy when you need her???

Honored Social Butterfly

For me.... it's simply a matter of how "much" did my taxes go down. My effective tax rate dropped... so that means more for me.

I sound like the Clintons... right?

Without a balanced budget amendment we will never be a debt free nation. Congress is like a teenager with a credit card. They need to be put on an allowance.

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
Honored Social Butterfly

but remember, he PROMISED Mexico would pay for the wall. How is that working out for ya?
Honored Social Butterfly

@Tom5678 wrote:
but remember, he PROMISED Mexico would pay for the wall. How is that working out for ya?

More blather from Trump but I didn't take that as a realistic "promise".  Did you?

Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Tom5678 wrote:

More blather from Trump but I didn't take that as a realistic "promise".  Did you?

So that is why you think that Trump is keeping all his promises - the promises that he is not keeping were just more blather from Trump. You should know by now that everything Trump says is just more blather.

Honored Social Butterfly

it was promised many times by him....
Honored Social Butterfly

The talking point is meant to give some cover.    What if a tax cut was so small that it was irrelevant.   That is what some are selling as a "win" for the consumer.   As typical of the ignoble donald supporters, as long as they don't include any real data that underscores how badly most taxpayers got raked thru the coals and were rewarded with a pittance while the uber wealthy and corporations received the bulk of the rewards.     That is a baffle with bs process - apparently the ignoble donald supporters like the diet they are being fed.  

https://theintercept.com/2019/04/13/tax-day-taxes-statistics/

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The talking point is meant to give some cover.    What if a tax cut was so small that it was irrelevant.   That is what some are selling as a "win" for the consumer.   As typical of the ignoble donald supporters, as long as they don't include any real data that underscores how badly most taxpayers got raked thru the coals and were rewarded with a pittance while the uber wealthy and corporations received the bulk of the rewards.     That is a baffle with bs process - apparently the ignoble donald supporters like the diet they are being fed.  

Honored Social Butterfly

@afisher wrote:

@afisher wrote:

The "win"was for the economy which is a plus for all of us. Is it only we ignobles that can understand that.

Think of it this way, when the economy improves everyone even the 47%ers benefit.

Honored Social Butterfly

Just some facts that liberals ignore: the income tax cuts were to the people who pay income taxes and not to those who don't. Those that pay the most taxes, reaped the biggest benefit. The left would want the least payers to get the most benefit thus redistributing other people's income to them.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png