Let’s Get a Few Things Straight

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Let’s Get a Few Things Straight

Message 41 of 49

@Roxanna35 wrote:

While I don't have an opinion one way or the other regarding players' modes of self expression (other than they have the right to do so ... while others likewise have the right to their opinions abot said expression), I sure didn't read this as having to do with race. I see this as having everything to do with a needed national conversation. As in, Hey, America, we need to talk! Smiley Happy

And do you think that in the state that reigns today in this country anyone is going to listen?

I think the only way out of this is through this (same old, same old, right?). I think we all need to learn to listen, yes. Bitter pill or not, we the people need to reestablish to the ability to actually allow for opposing thought without finding that reason to hurl ugliness toward one another. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 49

@Epster wrote:

@NerdyMom wrote:

Wait, what?   This white lady is telling black people why black people are protesting?  And what black people are thinking?  

Okey dokey then.

1.) Standing for the national anthem does NOT mean that you support the president.

2.) It does NOT mean that you agree with the U.S. government.

3.) It does NOT mean that you endorse everything that happened in American history.

4.) It does NOT even mean that you believe the United States is fundamentally just.

While I don't have an opinion one way or the other regarding players' modes of self expression (other than they have the right to do so ... while others likewise have the right to their opinions abot said expression), I sure didn't read this as having to do with race. I see this as having everything to do with a needed national conversation. As in, Hey, America, we need to talk! Smiley Happy

And do you think that in the state that reigns today in this country anyone is going to listen?

no name
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 49
@ cent

If the issues are different.... don't merge the two and suggest they're morally the same.

If the Texas protest is as you describe ( I don't know)... it is morally wrong. The NFL is the wrong format and lacks thought. One shows hate the other shows ignorance and disrespect.

Justice, mercy or grace... you pick
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 49

@NerdyMom wrote:

Wait, what?   This white lady is telling black people why black people are protesting?  And what black people are thinking?  

Okey dokey then.

1.) Standing for the national anthem does NOT mean that you support the president.

3.) It does NOT mean that you endorse everything that happened in American history.

4.) It does NOT even mean that you believe the United States is fundamentally just.

While I don't have an opinion one way or the other regarding players' modes of self expression (other than they have the right to do so ... while others likewise have the right to their opinions about said expression), I sure didn't read this as having to do with race. I see this as having everything to do with a needed national conversation. As in, Hey, America, we need to talk! Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 49

It would appear we do not teach basic civics in our schools based of the lack of understanding we see by our citizens today.

Is that subject lost forever?  How should we seniors set an example for young people today?

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 49

@jimc91 wrote:

Ingraham: Hey, ‘Kneelers,’ Let’s Get a Few Things Straight If anyone has a right to be upset about what's happened to the country, it's social conservatives

In light of the decision by over 100 NFL players to protest our nation’s anthem over the weekend, in a misdirected effort to oppose President Donald Trump, here are some things that should be set straight:

If it meant any of these things, then no social conservative could stand for the anthem, given that the Supreme Court has held that our Constitution protects abortions.

The reason we stand for the anthem — no matter how disappointed we are in the trajectory of our nation — is to show that we love our country and wish it well. That’s all.

Americans have long believed that whatever our differences — indeed because of our differences — it is important to have a ritual where we all express our shared patriotism. That ritual is the respect we show for the national anthem.

When people protest the anthem, they are not sending a patriotic message. Instead, they are telling the rest of us that they don’t like this country, and they wish it ill.

Now they may claim otherwise. And they may think otherwise. But it takes two to communicate, and you don't get to change the meaning of a shared ritual on your own.

It's a shame that so many young Americans — and so many NFL owners — don't understand the basic meaning of a longstanding ritual that has been around for decades. We should probably be having a conversation about how to teach civics in this country.

But in the meantime, someone needs to tell these young men that kneeling for the anthem is seen by most of us as an extremely offensive attack on the country. It's a shame the president is apparently the only person in authority who is willing to do so.

By Laura Ingraham

http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/ingraham-hey-kneelers-lets-get-things-straight/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I agree Laura, We should probably be having a conversation about how to teach civics in this country....

@jimc91  I'm a fiscal rather than social conservative, but I agree that we need a national convo about civics. Absolutely.

Suggest catching Scott Adams videos (posted to his Twitter). He puts what's happening into perspective. The man makes me giggle over his perspective about the resistance efforts. Think you'd enjoy him as well. Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 49

Okey dokey then.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 49

Of course, to Conservatives, showing up to a small town under false pretenses, carry torches chanting "Jews will not replace us" and loaded weapons claiming to take back America from minorities isn't offensive, but silent protest by taking a knee or silently walking out of a commencement speech is offensive.

You just can't make this up!

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Let’s Get a Few Things Straight

Message 49 of 49

Ingraham: Hey, ‘Kneelers,’ Let’s Get a Few Things Straight If anyone has a right to be upset about what's happened to the country, it's social conservatives

In light of the decision by over 100 NFL players to protest our nation’s anthem over the weekend, in a misdirected effort to oppose President Donald Trump, here are some things that should be set straight:

If it meant any of these things, then no social conservative could stand for the anthem, given that the Supreme Court has held that our Constitution protects abortions.

The reason we stand for the anthem — no matter how disappointed we are in the trajectory of our nation — is to show that we love our country and wish it well. That’s all.

Americans have long believed that whatever our differences — indeed because of our differences — it is important to have a ritual where we all express our shared patriotism. That ritual is the respect we show for the national anthem.

When people protest the anthem, they are not sending a patriotic message. Instead, they are telling the rest of us that they don’t like this country, and they wish it ill.

Now they may claim otherwise. And they may think otherwise. But it takes two to communicate, and you don't get to change the meaning of a shared ritual on your own.

It's a shame that so many young Americans — and so many NFL owners — don't understand the basic meaning of a longstanding ritual that has been around for decades. We should probably be having a conversation about how to teach civics in this country.

But in the meantime, someone needs to tell these young men that kneeling for the anthem is seen by most of us as an extremely offensive attack on the country. It's a shame the president is apparently the only person in authority who is willing to do so.

By Laura Ingraham

http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/ingraham-hey-kneelers-lets-get-things-straight/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I agree Laura, We should probably be having a conversation about how to teach civics in this country....

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Now until February 11, play this classic game online at AARP. Get in the game and play now.

jeopardy for aarp logo

Top Authors