Let’s Get a Few Things Straight

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Let’s Get a Few Things Straight

Message 31 of 49

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
@NM

You understand of course the players are not all black.... right? You just interjected race.

Listen I get it... Colin is black and 70% of the NFL players are black, but this was never about color. Never... ever.  So, you're speaking for trump, all American's, including those who sent messages to Curry and Kaepernick calling them the n-word?
Maybe you should stick to your own view instead of speaking for others.  Just saying.....
Fire chief ‘embarrassed’ for calling Steelers coach Mike Tomlin the n-word over anthem protest
Why NFL fans who hate Colin Kaepernick are ignoring America’s racist history

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 49

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
@ cent

If the issues are different.... don't merge the two and suggest they're morally the same.  I guess I'm not surprised you missed the point.  Two different events can highlight the same outcome.

If the Texas protest is as you describe ( I don't know)... it is morally wrong. The NFL is the wrong format, in your opinion..... and lacks thought. in YOUR opinion.  In fact, it was very effective.....whites aren't ignoring the message any longer, but many are dodging it by focusing on patriotism.  One shows hate the other shows ignorance and disrespect.  The response from trumpy showed much disdain, as has the response from Ingram and other Conservatives here.  It shows hate, ignorance and much disrespect.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 49

@NerdyMom wrote:

Wait, what?   This white lady is telling black people why black people are protesting?  And what black people are thinking?  

Okey dokey then.

LOL....you-just-can't-make-this-crap-up!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 49

@gruffstuff wrote:

You guys must be desperate for things to get outraged over.

Over three million people in Pureto Rico,  many, maybe most without food, water, power, phones, and shelter in tropical heat.

US citizens on the ropes.

What do you guys do? Outrage over what NFL players do.

@gruffstuff Welp ... methinks my outrage has been grossly overreported: I'm not a bit outraged by either President Trump's behavior or the actions of those who feel the need to 'take a knee'.  

Furthermore, most people, myself included, have the capacity to be concerned about multiple things in any given moment, so this does not take away from concern (or actions taken) on behalf of all the recent hurricane battered regions, including the one you mention.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 49

gruffstuff wrote:

Over three million people in Pureto Rico,  many, maybe most without food, water, power, phones, and shelter in tropical heat.

What's up with that, is Trump lagging and consequently  you all lag too?

You guys connected with a psychic link or something?

Goosestep to Trump's tweets, dance to his music, is it like rapture or something?

PR is in terrible shape. Yet, the NFL played it's games and the players played their games. 

So, any reference to President Trump or the offensive "goosestep" really have no place in the discussion. They are two distinctly separate issues.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 49

What's up with that, is Trump lagging and consequently  you all lag too?

You guys connected with a psychic link or something?

Goosestep to Trump's tweets, dance to his music, is it like rapture or something?

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 49
@NM

You understand of course the players are not all black.... right? You just interjected race.

Listen I get it... Colin is black and 70% of the NFL players are black, but this was never about color. Never... ever.

Justice, mercy or grace... you pick
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 49

@NerdyMom wrote:

@Epster wrote:

@NerdyMom wrote:

Wait, what?   This white lady is telling black people why black people are protesting?  And what black people are thinking?  

Okey dokey then.

1.) Standing for the national anthem does NOT mean that you support the president.

2.) It does NOT mean that you agree with the U.S. government.

3.) It does NOT mean that you endorse everything that happened in American history.

4.) It does NOT even mean that you believe the United States is fundamentally just.

While I don't have an opinion one way or the other regarding players' modes of self expression (other than they have the right to do so ... while others likewise have the right to their opinions about said expression), I sure didn't read this as having to do with race. I see this as having everything to do with a needed national conversation. As in, Hey, America, we need to talk! Smiley Happy

She wrote this:

"When people protest the anthem, they are not sending a patriotic message. Instead, they are telling the rest of us that they don’t like this country, and they wish it ill." 

What makes her think anyone who is taking a knee "wishes it ill?"   

I cannot, nor did I speak for her. These are her words, not mine. Ask her. 

I was not referring to this. Your original post did not, either (or at least it didn't make it clear).

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 49

Or to elaborate, why are we white people telling black people what they mean?  Why are we not listening when they tell us what they mean?  Why do we dismiss it?   Why does only white opinion matter?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 49

@Epster wrote:

@NerdyMom wrote:

Okey dokey then.

1.) Standing for the national anthem does NOT mean that you support the president.

2.) It does NOT mean that you agree with the U.S. government.

3.) It does NOT mean that you endorse everything that happened in American history.

4.) It does NOT even mean that you believe the United States is fundamentally just.

While I don't have an opinion one way or the other regarding players' modes of self expression (other than they have the right to do so ... while others likewise have the right to their opinions about said expression), I sure didn't read this as having to do with race. I see this as having everything to do with a needed national conversation. As in, Hey, America, we need to talk! Smiley Happy

She wrote this:

"When people protest the anthem, they are not sending a patriotic message. Instead, they are telling the rest of us that they don’t like this country, and they wish it ill." 

What makes her think anyone who is taking a knee "wishes it ill?"   

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Now until February 11, play this classic game online at AARP. Get in the game and play now.

jeopardy for aarp logo

Top Authors