Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Land of Fakes

Message 41 of 75

I have friends in Ca. that h ave been trying to reseach to which of the Navitve Indian tribes in that area they belong to. and that has been going  on for years and to day no dice.

Some of those tests cannot be that specific. The Indicans in Cuba were all killed by the Spanieards  when they colonized the island so I can't prove my Indian heritage.  LOL

no name
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 75

@Epster wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

The biggest question here is Who cares whether she is an indian or not. If she want to be an Indian, great. I have always wanted to be  a Butterfly. But will not take a DNA  to prove it.  LOL

Wrong. It is a serious matter to claim to be an American Indian, and to accept benefits based on that. She needs to prove it. Period.

For myself it was just the curiosity of knowing who my ancestors were.  And the fun of doing the research.  It paid off when researching to discover new 'cousins' around the country, plus the fascinating facts surrounding the family. 

“Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself”. . . FDR
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 75

@Snoopy48 wrote:

Even a DNA test may not prove or disprove Native American ancestry. The tests are just not specificate enough at this time.

You, for example, could get a DNA test that shows no Native American ancestry.

Did I mention DNA testing?  Why should I when I have documentation from the National Archives of that ancestry?  If a person suspect they have Cherokee ancestry and they are aware of their ancestor's name back to 1900, there is the Guion Miller Rolls for those not certified, then there is the Dawes rolls from 1898.

“Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself”. . . FDR
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 75

Christopher Child, a genealogist at the New England Historic Genealogical Society, said that he had discovered possible supporting evidence. The Boston Globereported that Child found a newsletter that indicated that Warren’s great-great-great grandmother had been listed as Cherokee on a marriage document in 1894. That would make Warren 1/32 American Indian, he said. Neither the newspaper nor the genealogical society had seen the alleged primary document, only the family newsletter alluding to it. However, Dr. Warren's claim of native American ancestry has always been based on information given her by her grandparents.  This shows that the family does, indeed, believe they are related to Cherokee.

Living in the Southwest, I can tell you her situation is not unusual. Many people here lay claim to common DNA with native Americans but there is little in the way of documentation. 

I would also point out that we have seen this play before and we know how it ends.  Trump accused Obama of being born outside the U.S. making all sorts of assertions about private investigators and "very interesting things". Then Obama slammed him with the birth certificate and demonstrated how easy it was to mousetrap the Moron. I suspect Dr. Warren has proof of her ancestry and is letting the Moron walk back into the trap which caught him before. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 75

@MIseker wrote:

@Epster wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

The biggest question here is Who cares whether she is an indian or not. If she want to be an Indian, great. I have always wanted to be  a Butterfly. But will not take a DNA  to prove it.  LOL

Wrong. It is a serious matter to claim to be an American Indian, and to accept benefits based on that. She needs to prove it. Period.

She never got benefits for it, and it was her families oral history.

Basically what the right i asking for in Obama AND Warren is a "purity" test.

I have an extensive family lore, one part of it back to the 1200's in sweeden (documented). as in decendant of vikings. I had an uncle, swedish, that looked as eastern  mediteranian as someone from greece or albania. Viking conquests you know.  But, MY DNA shows me so lilly white, so British isles, I think it would be a great idea for everyone demanding purity tests, has to test whiter than me to post here. 

I forgot uncle "Whitey", his lifelong nickname due to being born white haired...yet..when the family came from Ohio around 1809 they became very diverse, A great Uncle married an indian princess in a lumber town and thus begat the up north branch. Another relative married an eskimo when he wa in the army in alaska..and his kids ( 30's now) how up to funerals in their native regalia.

And SO WHAT? sheesh. If you want warren to pas a purity test you have to be whiter than I am.

I think your racism is showing.

I don't care if Sen Warren is 80% Indian. I don't care if she's 1% Indian. I do care that she has for years claimed Indian heritage while serving in the public eye. This, for me, takes her claim out of the realm of your neighbor having a few beers before claiming to be descended from an Indian Princess --which is bad enough, and stupidly insensitive to boot*-- to full fledged deception. She should know that transparency wins the day, so why refuse to get the test. What is she afraid of?

And why are you, who likes to post about Trump's deceptions and lies, defending a representative that refuses to be honest and transparent? Is it because she sits on your preferred side of the aisle or is it because you have lost the ability to reason and think for yourself and thus are relegated to posting spoon-fed talking points? Rhetorical questions there. No need to answer.

* Spoiler Alert: there really were no Indian Princesses. So anyone (and there are many) claiming to be descended from an Indian Princess is either devoid of fact or flat out lying. Ask yourself why they find it easy and acceptable to lie about such a thing. I think it is because they do not respect Indians and because they hold a romanticized characterization of Indians in their mind rather than have any amount of knowledge about Indian people and their plight. (The nicest possible way to express what I feel here.) This turning a population into a characterization thing is a form of racism.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 75

@creppelrm wrote:

Trump claims to have a bone spur.  All he has to do is have unbiased doctor prove he does.  Which would mean more than Liz's claim to Indian ancestry.

Does this have the tinge of racism to it? I think so, for it belittles a proud heritage, comparing it unfavorably to a bone spur.

There are specific legal rights to being an American Indian. To be a light skinned blue-eyed Senator claiming to be Indian while resisting calls for proof is like a layperson claiming his great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandma was an Indian Princess. Almost certainly a lie, but absolutely disrespectful of the First Nations.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 75

@Epster wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

She never got benefits for it, and it was her families oral history.

Basically what the right i asking for in Obama AND Warren is a "purity" test.

I have an extensive family lore, one part of it back to the 1200's in sweeden (documented). as in decendant of vikings. I had an uncle, swedish, that looked as eastern  mediteranian as someone from greece or albania. Viking conquests you know.  But, MY DNA shows me so lilly white, so British isles, I think it would be a great idea for everyone demanding purity tests, has to test whiter than me to post here. 

I forgot uncle "Whitey", his lifelong nickname due to being born white haired...yet..when the family came from Ohio around 1809 they became very diverse, A great Uncle married an indian princess in a lumber town and thus begat the up north branch. Another relative married an eskimo when he wa in the army in alaska..and his kids ( 30's now) how up to funerals in their native regalia.

And SO WHAT? sheesh. If you want warren to pas a purity test you have to be whiter than I am.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 75

181293_600.jpg

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 75

original.jpg

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 75

1-24.jpg

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.

Top Authors