Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Land of Fakes

Message 21 of 75

@Snoopy48 wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. Not questioning your ancestry but DNA testing is not that comprehensive.

Why should I need a DNA test?

“Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself”. . . FDR
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 75

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

When you complete those form asking for race or ethnicity, do you only check the ones for which your dna test has verified?  Do you check Caucasian with only your parent's word for it?

How would I know...if you read my posts you would see I have no need of DNA testing.  I don't need anyone's word since I traced documentation for Caucasian and Cherokee.

Did you register with the Tribe and get a number?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 75

@Richva wrote:

When you complete those form asking for race or ethnicity, do you only check the ones for which your dna test has verified?  Do you check Caucasian with only your parent's word for it?

How would I know...if you read my posts you would see I have no need of DNA testing.  I don't need anyone's word since I traced documentation for Caucasian and Cherokee.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 75

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

If you now took a DNA test and it showed no Native American ancestry would you accept that in spite of the fact that you have documentation that proves that you have Native American ancestry?

No question if I used a reputable DNA test it would show my AmericanIndian ancestry.  I am close enough to the linage to know it for a fact.  Additionally I have researched it sufficiently.

Maybe, maybe not. Not questioning your ancestry but DNA testing is not that comprehensive.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 75

@Roxanna35 wrote:

Tx is having Native American blood is really that important in your life?
Why are you putting so much importance in an issue that only concerns you.

Yes.  As someone who has a deep interest in genealogy.  Why shouldn't I have an interest in my ancestors.  You once posted that you were mostly Spanish compared to most from Cuba.  Is that important to you?  And it is of interest to the rest of the family...verifies family lore.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 75

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

If you now took a DNA test and it showed no Native American ancestry would you accept that in spite of the fact that you have documentation that proves that you have Native American ancestry?

No question if I used a reputable DNA test it would show my AmericanIndian ancestry.  I am close enough to the linage to know it for a fact.  Additionally I have researched it sufficiently.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 75

Tx is having Native American blood is really that important in your life?
Why are you putting so much importance in an issue that only concerns you.

no name
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 75

@Snoopy48 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 75

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

Even a DNA test may not prove or disprove Native American ancestry. The tests are just not specificate enough at this time.

You, for example, could get a DNA test that shows no Native American ancestry.

Did I mention DNA testing?  Why should I when I have documentation from the National Archives of that ancestry?  If a person suspect they have Cherokee ancestry and they are aware of their ancestor's name back to 1900, there is the Guion Miller Rolls for those not certified, then there is the Dawes rolls from 1898.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 75

@Richva wrote:

“Look, I learned about my family the way that most people learn about their families,” Warren said. “My brothers and I learned from our mother and our daddy and our grandparents who we are. And that’s it. That’s how we learned it. That’s what we know.”

A person can learn a lot in that direction to research family history from family lore.  That's the way I uncovered our Cherokee heritage.  Remembering the remarks from my grandmother, I found on genealogical sites about uncovering documentation.

And from a 'cousin' I found that professional genealogist aren't not that accurate in their findings.  He spent a lot of money for dead ends.  For fifteen cents copying fee I found several hundred years of archive information.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.