Honored Social Butterfly

LIKE A DICTATOR

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-republican-heller-2018-midterms-652913

TRUMP IS ATTACKING REPUBLICANS LIKE A DICTATOR AND IT COULD TEAR THE PARTY APART

A month after publicly denouncing a health care bill that the president was desperate to pass, Senator Dean Heller sat uncomfortably alongside President Donald Trump in front of rolling cameras. Holding the floor, Trump did not disappoint, addressing the awkwardness head on with a veil of humor so thin it stood no chance of obscuring anyone's view of the true threat at its heart.

“Look, he wants to remain a senator doesn’t he?” Trump said with a smirk.

Heller rocked his head back and initially burst into a laugh. But, with a subtle yet significant hand on his arm, Trump let him know that the warning was not to be taken lightly.

We'll see.

Honored Social Butterfly

@gruffstuff wrote:

As to "Nazis in control of the government" - Nazi and Fascist describe dictatorships. Has President Trump gotten his "wall" yet - how about dumping Obamacare - doesn't really sound like a Dictator, does he?

Not yet, and hopefully Trump never consolidates power to the point where " like a dictator " becomes dictator.

It's always up to the people, what they will allow or tolerate, and how far they buy into fascism.

Trump said (before he was elected) I will build a wall and he also said he will get rid of the hated Obamacare.  The left chooses to call the election process a dictatorship even though Trump followed the rules, said what he was going to do, and is following through on his promises.  Conservatives didn't like what Obama did but they couldn't call him a dictator for fear of being called a racist.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@gruffstuff wrote:

As to "Nazis in control of the government" - Nazi and Fascist describe dictatorships. Has President Trump gotten his "wall" yet - how about dumping Obamacare - doesn't really sound like a Dictator, does he?

Not yet, and hopefully Trump never consolidates power to the point where " like a dictator " becomes dictator.

It's always up to the people, what they will allow or tolerate, and how far they buy into fascism.

All true. So, what is all this Nazi, Fascist, dictator nonsense about. President Trump made campaign promises, he is trying to keep them - where does all the silliness fit into that??

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@gruffstuff

Our system of govenment allows a voice to be made by many undersirable groups. What offends you may not offend another. Our method to quell the groups you oppose, is the voting booth. 

The only threat to voting is those who aren't allowed to vote. To what degree that is.... I have no idea, therefore protecting voting rights serves us all. Change takes place in the voting booth and local elections do more to support that idea then who's in the White House.

That is how this nation does things. 

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The only threat to voting is those who aren't allowed to vote. To what degree that is.... I have no idea, therefore protecting voting rights serves us all. Change takes place in the voting booth and local elections do more to support that idea then who's in the White House.

I agree, and when access to the polls is blocked with voter ID laws on a pretense of stopping voter fraud that doesn't actually exist, closing polling places, undeserving voting districts with polling places and creating long waits, gerrymandering to make votes cast produce the desired result for those doing the gerrymandering,  and  doing away or limiting early voting to avoid those issues, I speak up 

All of those things I listed have happened in recent years, the core of democracy, the vote, is under attack,  and has been for some time.

Not to mention the Electoral College. 

At what point do we stop calling it democracy?

Honored Social Butterfly

We pledge allegiance to the "republic". We are a blend of democracy and a republic and so far- so good. Perfect we will never be, but we strive for a more perfect union.

Ok... so you dislike voter ID laws. Got it. Right now there are few that even matter. I guess we both want the same thing, but with a different method of getting there.

I am all for easier access to vote and for stricter ID laws. I want any ID laws to "enhance" voter access, not diminish it. Better control with easier access. = win win

I also understand that the voter whose most likely discouraged by ID laws are democrats.... specifically minority voting democrats. That's bad.
I also like to see a more robust system for voter compliance. Simpler and better.

Gerrymandering is a political problem not a specific party problem. We know politicians want to keep their job so they fool with boundaries. That's bad.
I like county voting. Eliminates etch-a-sketch voting districts boundaries.

I like early voting, but I also like a vote to be able to be changed, if the voter wants to. Nothing wrong with changing your mind right up to the part where you say "I do". **Must be done in person.

All those things you listed have been done since the republic began.

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png