LA is Spending Over $1 Billion to House the Homeless. It’s Failing.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: LA is Spending Over $1 Billion to House the Homeless. It’s Failing.

Message 1 of 8

Capitalism is GREAT, provided the Government harnesses it to the GENERAL WELFARE.

Otherwise it performs like the Visigoths on Roman Holiday.

America's failure to control Capitalism is why we rank near the bottom among developed Nations in every category of the common good - health care, schools, transportation, infrastructure, crime, homicides and homelessness.

Our Grandparents had this all solved for us, but we elected Reagan and traded world leadership in lifestyle for more billionaires.

First step in fixing Reagan's disaster is eliminating elected Repuplicans.

The following steps are EASY.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 8

@JANMB wrote:

jimc91  wrote   LA is Spending Over $1 Billion to House the Homeless. It’s Failing.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nice of you to be concerned ....as we all should be  

Approximately 552,830 people were experiencing homelessness in the United States on a single night in 2018 during HUD’s Annual Point-in-Time Count the only ones who keep any kind of track,    The numbers have grown in many sections of the country especially in places that have a milder climate.   

Rudy Guiliani as mayor of NYC at the time cleaned the homeless out by closing shelters and giving them money to leave which of course the homeless  became ANOTHER area's problem.   But that's RUDY for ya.  

Every time I say we are over-populated I get   hit. with NAYS.   I argue we have millions coming out of college each year....not enough people retiring....and  new study by the McKinsey Global Institute suggests between 400 million and 800 million jobs will be automated by 2030  

The growth in beneficiaries and the growth in workers remained roughly proportional from 1975 through 2008, during which time there were 3.2–3.4 workers for each retiree.

However, since 2009 this ratio has consistently dropped, and as of 2013—the most recent year for which data are available—there were only 2.8 workers in the system for each retiree collecting from it.

The ratio of workers to retirees is projected to continue falling. By 2034, the best-case scenario is 2.3 workers paying for each retiree, and in the worst-case scenario that ratio is 2 workers per retiree.

In 1955 there were 8.6 workers per retiree.

https://www.ssa.gov/history/ratios.html

https://www.mercatus.org/publications/government-spending/how-many-workers-pay-benefits-each-social-...

The baby boomer generation was the last to have a higher standard of living that previous generations. Boomers accomplished great things, but they pretty much raped the earth to do it. Following generations are reaping what boomers sowed: A climate in crisis, balloning national debt and budget deficites, unaffordable higher education with the average college graduate $35,000 in debt, endless wars, a foriegn policy now in shambles, a health care system that... well, you know.

“What’s a high crime? How about if an important person hurts somebody of low means? It’s not very scholarly. But I think it’s the truth. — Lindsey Graham
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 8

Much wiser spending choice than wasting the money on a worthless wall.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 8

jimc91  wrote   LA is Spending Over $1 Billion to House the Homeless. It’s Failing.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nice of you to be concerned ....as we all should be  

Approximately 552,830 people were experiencing homelessness in the United States on a single night in 2018 during HUD’s Annual Point-in-Time Count the only ones who keep any kind of track,    The numbers have grown in many sections of the country especially in places that have a milder climate.   

Rudy Guiliani as mayor of NYC at the time cleaned the homeless out by closing shelters and giving them money to leave which of course the homeless  became ANOTHER area's problem.   But that's RUDY for ya.  

Every time I say we are over-populated I get   hit. with NAYS.   I argue we have millions coming out of college each year....not enough people retiring....and  new study by the McKinsey Global Institute suggests between 400 million and 800 million jobs will be automated by 2030  

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 8

Always nice to hear "compassionate"

comments from trump supporters. 
Of course our Nation is so much better off giving more money to the wealthy!...

royalty, castles, moats, and all that stuff!

The right provides no solutions. Just "my way our the highway". The less fortunate are not deserving!

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 8

When I first saw this post I thought what's the big deal, then quickly remembered the right is closely monitoring the homeless situation in California cities because they think they can score points or something. Plus getting all exercised and excited. Whatever.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 8

This is EXACTLY what happens when you subscribe to an economic system which does not work.  Capitalism is good......American style capitalism is more like Feudalism. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

LA is Spending Over $1 Billion to House the Homeless. It’s Failing.

Message 8 of 8

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Now until February 11, play this classic game online at AARP. Get in the game and play now.

jeopardy for aarp logo

Top Authors