Honored Social Butterfly

Kneeling not allowed by NBA rules

The NBA is officially back, and it’s restarting with a policy change on player protests.

A bubble season focused on social justice and the Black Lives Matter movement opened with a unified statement from players and referees before both of Thursday’s games.

Before the evening’s marquee matchup between the Los Angeles Lakers and Clippers tipped off, players from both teams all took a knee as a rendition of the national anthem by the Compton Kidz Club played on video boards.

- ADVERTISEMENT -

Coaches and referees knelt too with LeBron James and Anthony Davis linking arms near midcourt.

The show of unity mirrored the protest prior to the earlier matchup between the New Orleans Pelicans and Utah Jazz.

As a pre-recorded rendition of the national anthem by New Orleans native Jon Batiste played, every player and official on the court took a knee, with some players holding raised fists in the air.

Kneeling during the anthem is technically against NBA rules, but players and officials made their plans to do so clear as a form of protest against police brutality and social injustice.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver addressed the subject in a Time 100 talk in June when asked if the league would allow players to take a knee.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The NBA players show they do not respect our Flag and our National Anthem.

People that understand what our Flag and our National Anthem stand for our National Anthem.  

It's disgusting that these high paid players can violate the NBA rules.  As a citizen and veteran I have lost respect for the NBA. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:

The NBA is officially back, and it’s restarting with a policy change on player protests.

A bubble season focused on social justice and the Black Lives Matter movement opened with a unified statement from players and referees before both of Thursday’s games.

Before the evening’s marquee matchup between the Los Angeles Lakers and Clippers tipped off, players from both teams all took a knee as a rendition of the national anthem by the Compton Kidz Club played on video boards.

- ADVERTISEMENT -

Coaches and referees knelt too with LeBron James and Anthony Davis linking arms near midcourt.

The show of unity mirrored the protest prior to the earlier matchup between the New Orleans Pelicans and Utah Jazz.

As a pre-recorded rendition of the national anthem by New Orleans native Jon Batiste played, every player and official on the court took a knee, with some players holding raised fists in the air.

Kneeling during the anthem is technically against NBA rules, but players and officials made their plans to do so clear as a form of protest against police brutality and social injustice.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver addressed the subject in a Time 100 talk in June when asked if the league would allow players to take a knee.

People that understand what our Flag and our National Anthem stand for our National Anthem.  

It's disgusting that these high paid players can violate the NBA rules.  As a citizen and veteran I have lost respect for the NBA. 

It wasn't just the players KidBoy2 !

Some right wingers seem to dislike peaceful means of protesting.

Doesn't seem that the NBA, the players, the coaches or anyone else that works in the league gives a hoot if you "respect" them or not.

Many veterans across the nation stand behind the protests and the kneeling, as they should, it's the Constitutional rights that they fought for.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

The owners and the NBA are agreeing with the players. MLB games have been canceled no one was fined or suspended. When protests spread from sport to sport it's a sign of bigger things to come.

I wonder what October will bring.

Trump is an aperture in the fundament.
Silver Conversationalist

Mike Ditka is famous for racist statements and he supports Trump. But I repeat myself.

The Unbearable Bigotry of Mike Ditka

Mike Ditka is parroting Donald Trump’s racist dog whistle about Colin Kaepernick.

But there is another side to Mike Ditka. He’s the guy who was accused of sending players back into games with concussions. He’s the guy who was described this way by former Bears safety Dave Duerson: “Mike was not one who gave a **bleep** about the players or their injuries when he was coaching.” Duerson later took his own life, and in death was diagnosed the brain disease CTE.

Ditka is the guy who berated his own Bears players for not crossing a picket line when the NFLPA was on strike in 1987. He’s the guy today who—after a lifetime of supporting right-wing candidates—shills for another dubious product: Donald Trump.

And now, true to form, he’s coming out against Colin Kaepernick’s anthem protests. On Friday, he said on the Shan & RJ radio show, “I think it’s a problem. Anybody who disrespects this country and the flag. If they don’t like the country they don’t like our flag, get the hell out. My choice is, I like this country, I respect our flag, and I don’t see all the atrocities going on in this country that people say are going on,” Ditka said. “I see opportunities if people want to look for opportunity. Now, if they don’t want to look for them then you can find problems with anything, but this is the land of opportunity because you can be anything you want to be if you work. If you don’t work, that’s a different problem.”

Mike Ditka, as mentioned, is a Trump endorser—and he is parroting the candidate who in August said that Kaepernick should “maybe should find another country to live in.” Trump undoubtedly knows that this kind of statement is a racist dog whistle, that when you tell someone who is descended from the enslaved people that built the United States to shut up or find another country, you are telling them—in classic KKK fashion—to “go back to Africa.” This is as true today as it was when a member of Congress said it to singer and civil-rights icon Paul Robeson, and Robeson’s response is still the correct one. He said:

Because my father was a slave, and my people died to build this country, and I am going to stay here, and have a part of it just like you. And no Fascist-minded people will drive me from it.

Whether Ditka is aware that “find another country” is racist is unclear, but there is absolutely nothing in his history that would allow for him to get the benefit of the doubt.

https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/the-unbearable-bigotry-of-mike-ditka/

Honored Social Butterfly

When Colin K began this protest movement, he simply sat through the national anthem but that made him uncomfortable as his goal was NOT to show disrespect but to stand out.  He was expressing this dilemma to a fellow teammate who suggested he "take a knee" instead and a symbol of respectful protest was born. 

The gesture of taking a single knee has been the position of respect and submission for centuries.  In feudal times, messengers would drop to one knee to deliver their message to the recipient.  Men have also been proposing on one knee for centuries and we have all seen images of people being knighted while taking a knee.

It is a gesture to show no disrespect, while still offering a protest. 

Conversationalist

@Richva wrote:

When Colin K began this protest movement, he simply sat through the national anthem but that made him uncomfortable as his goal was NOT to show disrespect but to stand out.  He was expressing this dilemma to a fellow teammate who suggested he "take a knee" instead and a symbol of respectful protest was born. 

The gesture of taking a single knee has been the position of respect and submission for centuries.  In feudal times, messengers would drop to one knee to deliver their message to the recipient.  Men have also been proposing on one knee for centuries and we have all seen images of people being knighted while taking a knee.

It is a gesture to show no disrespect, while still offering a protest. 

Close, but not correct: 

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

https://www.nfl.com/news/colin-kaepernick-explains-why-he-sat-during-national-anthem-0ap300000069107...

In other words, not showing respect for the United States of America. But then he changed his position soon afterwards to become "less radical" in his protest. His publicist must have had a conversation with him to make his "protest" less offensive to the country that allows a marginally effective sports entertainer to make millions. 

Honored Social Butterfly

The players are not slaves...why not ask them how they feel. 
And they seem to be gaining with support from the owners. 

And I’m not sure that they really care about what trump thinks...then again trump supports putin and russia, not the USA!

Honored Social Butterfly

williamb39198 posted..

The players are not slaves...why not ask them how they feel.
And they seem to be gaining with support from the owners.

And I’m not sure that they really care about what trump thinks...then again trump supports putin and russia, not the USA!

=======================================================

I do not care what the players, owners, Trump, or you think.

I was brought up to respect our flag and still do...silly me! Anyone that kneels during our National Anthem is a low life ...to say it nice.

I wonder how many of the players that kneel have served in our military and got a honorable discharge like I did?
Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 

Missing the point again. The flag is symbolic of something much larger...

Our Constitution. It makes guarantees to the Citizens of the US. It is not disrespect being shown by players...it is an acknowledgement of the rights afforded to them. 
It’s what our forefathers and foremothers fought for...our right to freedoms and freedom of expression. 
Why is there effort to deny this?

Honored Social Butterfly

The facts and recent history have shown that Colin Kaepernick was right. I notice it was a bunch of white team owners who are making these rules at the urging of Trump.  More reason for the black vote to go to Biden this year.  

Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:

- ADVERTISEMENT -

Wrong !  This has nothing to do with "respecting" the flag or the national anthem.

People that understand what our Flag and our National Anthem stand for our National Anthem.  And rational people understand that kneeling is  peaceful protest that has nothing to do with disrespecting anything.

It's disgusting that these high paid players can violate the NBA rules.  As a citizen and veteran I have lost respect for the NBA.  "Disgusting", really?  I doubt that the NBA, the officials, or the players are very concerned about what your thoughts are on this. Write them or email them and see.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Silver Conversationalist

Colin Kaepernick began kneeling to protest police brutality against people of color, and racism. That's what the protest is about. Protesters kneel during the national anthem because that's when it draws the most attention.

People are upset about this. Good. Protests should knock people out their comfort zones. I don't think players have anything against the flag or the anthem but if they do it's fine with me.They have a 1st Amendment right to disrespect flag and anthem. Again, I don't believe that's their intent.

You say they can't do this while on the job. That's between them and the team owners. You say you just want to watch the game without politics. Too bad. I want to watch the news without seeing a cop kneel on an unarmed man's neck and murder him. I have no sympathy for sports fans like that.

Kneel, my brothers, kneel.

Honored Social Butterfly

Loulit posted..

Colin Kaepernick began kneeling to protest police brutality against people of color, and racism. That's what the protest is about. Protesters kneel during the national anthem because that's when it draws the most attention.

People are upset about this. Good. Protests should knock people out their comfort zones. I don't think players have anything against the flag or the anthem but if they do it's fine with me.They have a 1st Amendment right to disrespect flag and anthem. Again, I don't believe that's their intent.

You say they can't do this while on the job. That's between them and the team owners. You say you just want to watch the game without politics. Too bad. I want to watch the news without seeing a cop kneel on an unarmed man's neck and murder him. I have no sympathy for sports fans like that.

Kneel, my brothers, kneel.

======================================================================

"Colin Kaepernick began kneeling to protest police brutality against people of color, and racism. That's what the protest is about. Protesters kneel during the national anthem because that's when it draws the most attention."

Yes, he did it to get attention and he did. It also showed he does not respect our National Anthem....I see that you have no problem with that.

I was brought up to respect our country and now I see so many do not. To me that shows how are country has lost it way..

That the players can demonstrate all they want but NOT during our National Anthem and not while at their workplace. Anyone that approve of their showing disrespect for our National Anthem is as bad as they are in my opinion.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

https://sports.yahoo.com/mike-ditka-calls-kneeling-during-anthem-disrespectful-get-the-hell-out-of-t...

Mike Ditka calls kneeling during anthem 'disrespectful': 'Get the hell out of the country'

Mike Ditka, the legendary Pro Football Hall of Fame coach, reiterated his stance that athletes should not be kneeling during the national anthem. He called it a protest of the flag and the country, and would prefer it not happen in his new X League, a women’s tackle football league.

Ditka: ‘Get the hell out’ if you can’t show respect
Ditka, 80, was asked about kneeling during the national anthem, which is becoming more commonplace as sports return from their hiatus during the COVID-19 pandemic.

“If you can’t respect our national anthem, get the hell out of the country,” Ditka said in a video interview with TMZ Sports. “That’s the way I feel. Of course, I’m old-fashioned. I’m only going to say what I feel.”

His comments are similar to the initial ones by New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees, who also implied that those who kneel in protest of police brutality are unpatriotic. He apologized two separate times after criticism.

Colin Kaepernick first took a knee during the anthem to protest police brutality in 2016. It has become a front-and-center topic again after nationwide protests following the death of George Floyd while in police custody on May 25.

Ditka has voiced opposition to the move since 2017, when he said on Westwood One’s Monday Night Football pregame show “there has been no oppression in the last 100 years that I know of.”

Ditka would not allow it in new football league

=============================================================

"Mike Ditka calls kneeling during anthem 'disrespectful': 'Get the hell out of the country'"

That is going to far in my opinion but the players that keen during our National Anthem should be fined or suspended for at least one game.

Anyone that approve of the players showing disrespect for our National Anthem is as bad as these players.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

"Mike Ditka calls kneeling during anthem 'disrespectful': 'Get the hell out of the country'"

That is going to far in my opinion but the players that keen during our National Anthem should be fined or suspended for at least one game.

Anyone that approve of the players showing disrespect for our National Anthem is as bad as these players.

====================================================================

Another well known athlete that has respect for our Flag....one of many.

Our respect for the national anthem has always been a hallmark of our pre-race events. ... On June 3, 2020, during the protests over the death of George Floyd, Drew Brees told Yahoo Finance that he stood by his 2016 opinion that kneeling during the national anthem was disrespectful to the flag and to the US.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:

====================================================================

Another well known athlete that has respect for our Flag....one of many.

Our respect for the national anthem has always been a hallmark of our pre-race events. ... On June 3, 2020, during the protests over the death of George Floyd, Drew Brees told Yahoo Finance that he stood by his 2016 opinion that kneeling during the national anthem was disrespectful to the flag and to the US.

Drew Brees later apologized fro making that statement.

You omitted that KidBoy2!!!

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Honored Social Butterfly

https://www.ncregister.com/blog/armstrong/10-reasons-kneeling-during-the-anthem-is-a-bad-idea?utm_so...

10 Reasons Kneeling During the Anthem is a Bad Idea

--You don’t get respect by showing disrespect.

--Disrespecting our country inflames racial tensions rather than moving towards harmony.
--Studies show there is racial stereotyping (even among minorities) beyond the criminal justice system.
--The protest does not address the real problem.
--There is peer pressure being put on NFL players to take sides during an activity that should unite them and their fans.
---Sports stars have a great life so why show contempt towards a country that makes it possible?
--This protest actually separated like-minded people. That is a fail!
--Not one single person, behavior or law is changed by football players refusing to stand for the anthem.
--It corrupts the usually fun and patriotic atmosphere before a football game.
--It’s a slap in the face to people who risked their lives for our country or lost loved ones doing so.
--There is no measurable successful outcome.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:
https://www.ncregister.com/blog/armstrong/10-reasons-kneeling-during-the-anthem-is-a-bad-idea?utm_so...

10 Reasons Kneeling During the Anthem is a Bad Idea

--You don’t get respect by showing disrespect.

--Disrespecting our country inflames racial tensions rather than moving towards harmony.
--Studies show there is racial stereotyping (even among minorities) beyond the criminal justice system.
--The protest does not address the real problem.
--There is peer pressure being put on NFL players to take sides during an activity that should unite them and their fans.
---Sports stars have a great life so why show contempt towards a country that makes it possible?
--This protest actually separated like-minded people. That is a fail!
--Not one single person, behavior or law is changed by football players refusing to stand for the anthem.
--It corrupts the usually fun and patriotic atmosphere before a football game.
--It’s a slap in the face to people who risked their lives for our country or lost loved ones doing so.
--There is no measurable successful outcome.

Once again you are using an opinion article as fact, and you can not do that. If someone wants to kneel they can, if they want to sleep they, can, if they want to stand they can, if they want to sit they can. You beat this dead horse to try and please your leader Dictator Trump who has done more then anyone to disgrace this country everyday.

Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:
https://sports.yahoo.com/mike-ditka-calls-kneeling-during-anthem-disrespectful-get-the-hell-out-of-t...

Mike Ditka calls kneeling during anthem 'disrespectful': 'Get the hell out of the country'

Mike Ditka, the legendary Pro Football Hall of Fame coach, reiterated his stance that athletes should not be kneeling during the national anthem. He called it a protest of the flag and the country, and would prefer it not happen in his new X League, a women’s tackle football league.

Ditka: ‘Get the hell out’ if you can’t show respect
Ditka, 80, was asked about kneeling during the national anthem, which is becoming more commonplace as sports return from their hiatus during the COVID-19 pandemic.

“If you can’t respect our national anthem, get the hell out of the country,” Ditka said in a video interview with TMZ Sports. “That’s the way I feel. Of course, I’m old-fashioned. I’m only going to say what I feel.”

His comments are similar to the initial ones by New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees, who also implied that those who kneel in protest of police brutality are unpatriotic. He apologized two separate times after criticism.

Colin Kaepernick first took a knee during the anthem to protest police brutality in 2016. It has become a front-and-center topic again after nationwide protests following the death of George Floyd while in police custody on May 25.

Ditka has voiced opposition to the move since 2017, when he said on Westwood One’s Monday Night Football pregame show “there has been no oppression in the last 100 years that I know of.”

Ditka would not allow it in new football league

=============================================================

Where was that disgust when Trump threw the USA under the bus at the Helsinki talks KidBoy2????.... And Trump looking the other way on Putin placing a bounty on American soldiers?!!

Consider all the "disrespect" Trump has for our country and the lives of its military before going after basketball players!!!

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

The purpose of protests is to bring attention to a cause. Kneeling during the National Anthem has done a spectacular job of bringing attention to a cause. As a bonus benefit, it gives Donnie and the Trumpettes screaming hissy fits.

Kneel, my brothers, kneel!

Honored Social Butterfly

Loulit posted..

The purpose of protests is to bring attention to a cause. Kneeling during the National Anthem has done a spectacular job of bringing attention to a cause. As a bonus benefit, it gives Donnie and the Trumpettes screaming hissy fits.

========================================

Its about our National Anthem, not Trump!

You like all the posters that posted about this subject are making it about Trump...it shows that you and others care more about bashing Trump than respecting our National Anthem.

Are you happy with that?

Its sad to see what is happening to our country

Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:

Yup .... That's why we need to remove Trump from office!!!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:
Loulit posted..

You like all the posters that posted about this subject are making it about Trump...it shows that you and others care more about bashing Trump than respecting our National Anthem.

Are you happy with that?

Its sad to see that you have no idea what the players kneeling is about. It is not about our national anthem. It is a protest against racism in this country. Work to end the racism and see how fast the kneeling stops.

Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:
Loulit posted..

Are you happy with that?

There is no law you can not kneel during our National Anthem. It was Dictator Trump who said you could not kneel so it was Trump who made it about Trump. The NBA was stupid and followed what the Dictator wanted. The NBA learned a lesson from good Americans. Never follow a Dictator.

Honored Social Butterfly

tRump's behavior has been so disgusting he long ago lost whatever moral authority spilled over on him from President Obama. It's ALL ABOUT TRUMP, which is what it always is for donny Bonespurs.

Now it seems the vast majority of professional athletes have decided they do NOT like the ToadPOTUS and his nazi approach to governing, esp. his reaction to peaceful protests and blatant racism.

The Toad made wearing masks all about HIM, tens of thousands will die needlessly, and being a psychopath, Toad could care less. Seems a sizable majority of Americans no longer find his infantile stupidity amusing and will be voting for an intelligent adult to lead us next November.

Honored Social Butterfly

actually it’s about an NBA workplace rule limiting the ability to protest. I was agreeing with your comment that people should not be allowed to make political discussion in their workplace and the logical extension is that Trump should not be allowed to do that either. I’m sure you agree!

Honored Social Butterfly

Consider that the NBA and players are working on opening their arenas as polling sites...while trump and his minions are shutting down polling locations...who are the real Patriots here!

Honored Social Butterfly

Peacefully protesting during the National Anthem is the only time they can do it. Besides, only a Trump Cult member can spend so much time worrying about NBA players kneeling during the National Anthem. I know that I have much bigger concerns about this country, such as having a Pathological LIAR as our President.

Honored Social Butterfly

People that understand what our Flag and our National Anthem stand for our National Anthem.

It's disgusting that these high paid players can violate the NBA rules. As a citizen and veteran I have lost respect for the NBA.

I add.

That the players can demonstrate all they want but NOT during our National Anthem and not while at their workplace. Anyone that approve of their showing disrespect for our National Anthem is as bad as they are in my opinion.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:

Hey. I LIKE these rules. That would imply that Trump should not be making any political commentary while at any official press release or function. He can go across the street and stand in front of the church again!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png