Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Kneeling QB Gets His Wish

Message 1 of 18

Kaepernick was exercising his right under Article 1 of the Constitution which did not see fit to define a forum in which that was to take place.  That includes demonstrating overt hypocrisy, if he so chooses.  It also includes disrespecting the flag as a form of free speech. 

Everyone has a right, and perhaps a duty, to challenge and oppose what they see to be reprehensible, especially in regard to the welfare of the Society in which they live.  They have that right too.  After all, IF the actions of people exercising 'free speech' destroy the Society that protects that right, the very word Society is meaningless. 

Any duty anothe citizen has to challenge and oppose should not limit or prevent another from exercising a right in the first instance.  The individual who exercises that right has the ethical responsibility to weigh the consequences  of his/her own actions and inactions so as to avoid causing any harm in any way to another, then or in the future, however far removed it may be.

To the extent that responsibility is not met in regard to another individual or Society at large is the extent to which Society may limit such right and use law to do it.  Tough nut to crack, isn't it?

Having said that, don't you think we've had enough attention given to a private citizen perfoming in public to serve his own pupose?  And, NO, I am not referring to "the donald".

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 18

Saworld-your post was eloquent and moving. Thank you so much.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 18

To me, Kaepernick's kneeling was a dignified way to protest.  And though it's not my choice (and perhaps not his reason), not voting is also an acceptable form of protest.  I know people who see their own non-vote as just that, a sort of disdain for something they see as rigged and beyond their influence.

There was mention somewhere in this topic, of dying for the American flag. I lost a dear brother in Vietnam and would hope his sacrifice was for something greater than an inanimate symbol.  

Nothing more distasteful to me than politicians doing violence to vulnerable people with a budget that cuts out food, healthcare or other necessities after saying a symbolic prayer.  Or some draft-dodging president wearing a flag pin while seeking legal means to commit torture.  etc., etc.

At least Kaepernick's kneeling was honest unlike so many of our governing hypocrites.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 18

To compare Kaepernick to Trump is really not a fair analogy. Karpernick truly believed he was calling attention to a major problem--and he did. He didn't lie, distort, or brag about the reasons behind his silent protest. He knelt, then played--had he created a scene or done anything other than the above, it would have made national news-it didn't.

Trump, on the other hand,  abuses freedom of speech, while threatening to take that same freedom from others. Trump creates trouble where there was none. Trump lies about almost everything, and is a disgrace.

Not glad Mr. Kaepernick didn't vote, but I would rather hold him up as a role model for my children-(stand up for what is right and fight for that right), then Trump, whose life model seems to be lie, steal, cheat, care only about yourself, and  then lie some more.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 18

mickstuder -

Was that post containing a biased rant something to be proud of?

Whatever...

Why would I have any respect for a bunch of wealthy conscienceless white men who have taken a sport and prostituted and perverted it for profit?

That makes them not in the slightest worthy of respect - not at all unlike men who manage - and abuse - prostitutes on the street - neither deserve ANY respect - unlike the players who do deserve respect - that is unless they feel they're extremely privileged and shouldn't be taken to task, tried, and convicted of committing criminal acts and serve the same length sentence as a poor man...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 18

Here is a Perfect Example of the Hypocrisy of looking for Solutions to real Problems in Symbolism

Symbolism.png

Why are they all Looking at the Floor - Oh Praying - What do you think they are Praying for?

I'll tell you - that the 54 Billion they all want to spend on more and Bigger Weapons of War and more Nuclear Weapons is going to kill a lot of people and that Neil Gorsuch is going to provide the Republican Majority on the Supreme Court that will allow them do it

Now I'm sure there are plenty out there on this forum who would offer a alternative view

This Image is Meaningless - just like Kaepernick Kneeling during the National Anthem - Meaningless except to point out the Hypocrisy of Symbolism

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 18

It took guts for Mr. Kaepernick to stand up for his beliefs.  I never felt he was disrespecting the flag per se, I felt like he was saying that all people who live under the flag should be treated equally.

He made his point.  I hate football, never watch it, but I certainly knew what was going on with Collin Kaepernick, as it was on the evening news Every night for a good long while.

that's the great thing about America, we have freedom of speech--something our military men should understand,  as they fought for the right for all Americans to have and exercise that freedom.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 18

@Richva wrote:

Next step, public office?

Public Office

He Brags about - Not Voting................................

Pulbic Prison is a better bet

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 18

@alferdpacker wrote:

@Richva wrote:

I cannot help but be impressed that he lost so much in order to protest the abuse his people had suffered.  I know there are many who will ridicule him for making such a sacrifice. I shall not be one of them. 

Nor shall I.

Those who would diss him, speak badly of him, and feel he deserved it - obviously never were among those worthy of even the slightest bit of respect, much less even the thought of sacrifice.

Blah Blah Blah - if you don't watch Football - you have no idea about who he is - what he stands for or how he acts or what he's done or said that is completely opposite of what others try to project about him..........................what kind of example has he set for young Black Men - be Stupid as Long as you appear Macho

He Brags about Not Voting - what kind of example does that set for young Black Men

The NFL of all places is run by a bunch of Rich White Guys who are in the Business of Entertainment - it took a Congressional Intervention to get them to stop pretending Brain Injuries weren't preventable - some guy kneeling on the sidelines during the National Anthem is not good TV and these owners won;t allow it

I just told you what his Protest accomplished - Nothing - no White Owner Wants him on their Team - and you don;t see any NFL Players coming to his defense either - you know where he's headed - the same place as Michael Vick and Aaron Hernandez - Prison - what a waste

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 18

@Richva wrote:

Ah yes. "Meaningless". Yet we are still talking about it, aren't we?

I don't think whether he was correct or not, and that is a long argument on racial history, but are you impressed of his courage or upset with his message?

Yeah we are talking about it and what has changed - nothing - we talk about Trumps Tweets and OJ Simpson and Charles Manson too - thats the point - it might create News Headlines but it isn;t going to prevent one Black Person from getting shot or one White Guy from being Racist

I'm frustrated by his misguided ignorant attempt to bring attention to a issue where he's part of the problem......................................for not using his position for something Positive - we don;t need another Generation of Black Panthers - we need more Black US Congress People and Governors and State Legislatures

Stirring up emotions by disrespecting a symbol that too many people have been willing to die to protect is just plain dumb

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views