Super Contributor

Keep an eye on Iran...

Watch Iran closely. Things are happening in Teheran that have not in 40 years. These events are big. They parallel historic predicates, which shook the world.
Some may recall – with eerie similarity – these exact days 40 years ago. On January 16, 1979, a ruling monarch, known as the Shah of Iran, was forced from power. Longtime US ally, the Shah faced mass protests. He abdicated to a “regency council.” The council was overtaken by the “Grand Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini” – who declared Iran an “Islamic Republic.”
From there, a radical Islamic theocracy took over. They killed thousands overnight, initiated universal repression of civil liberties, fomented Islamic terror across the region. Consolidating power, they took over the US embassy in November 1979. Affiliated radical Islamist’s held US hostages for 444 days – until Ronald Reagan assumed power, January 20, 1981. They knew Reagan meant business.
Globally, the Iranian Islamic government has funded Hezbollah, Hamas and myriad terrorists. One goal is a **bleep**e “crescent” – running from Iran, through Iraq, Syria and Lebanon. They also underwrite regional violence, Saudi Arabia and Yemen to Afghanistan and Pakistan.
Nor have Iran’s surrogates stayed local. Iranian-supported terror cells appear from Africa and Far East to South America. In short, the “Islamic revolution” of 40 years ago has proved a source of continuing global violence, instability, repression and fear.
All this is instructive, as Iran goes through new convulsions. Those who led the 1979 Islamic take-over are aging. The country’s young feel no allegiance to their repression, or terror. Accentuating anger, Iran’s radical leaders pushed nuclear and long-range ballistic missile development, triggering US sanctions. Trump is giving the regime no “out.” That is empowering Iranians who crave self-rule.
Two months ago, they began protesting. Their objections were met by “live fire” from their own government. Informed sources confirmed the Iranian government killed 1,500 innocent protestors, then charged the families money to get the bodies back. Iranians are outraged.
Then Iran ramped-up terror, attacking British and Arab tankers, shooting down US drones over international waters, bombing a Saudi oil refinery, targeting Western allies in Yemen, Iraq, Syria and Israel.
In an act of profound audacity, they planned attacks on four US embassies, after staging a protest in Baghdad with Iranian-backed **bleep**e Militias. Events accelerated. The US struck first, killing Quds Force leader and IRGC General Soleimani, in Baghdad. Then Iran launched missiles at Iraqi bases with US forces. In the process, they shot down a civilian airliner, killing all 176 innocent passengers.
The rage is now boiling over. If history is an example, this is prelude. While events of 40 years ago are illuminating, the most apt analogy is elsewhere. President Ronald Reagan spoke to the people of the Soviet Union. He emphasized that totalitarian government is not inevitable. Such governments are morally bankrupt, so have no legitimacy. He emphasized a better path – freedom and democracy.
In parallel, President Trump is speaking boldly – first in a press conference and then tweets, using Farsi and English – to the Iranian people. Their government is devoid of moral authority, a danger to them and humanity. It lacks legitimacy.
He is pointing to a better way, self-rule. While he has invited reform, he has not missed the chance to broadcast the illegitimacy of radical totalitarian and Islamic rule. He has distinguished between the immoral government and the beleaguered people. That is a page from Reagan.
Now, Iran’s repressed population is speaking. They are moving in a hundred cities, protesting a government strangling them, pushing nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles, exporting terror, mowing down 1,500 civilians, repulsively charging for bodies, then shooting down a passenger plane with 176 innocents, lying about doing so. The Iranian government does not care about people.
Far from recent mock rallies, compelled at gun point, most Iranians are not interested in more death, repression, terror and destabilization. They want rights – basic political, civic and economic freedoms. They are done with radical Islam, repressive totalitarianism, and duplicitous, deceiving leaders.
Where will this upsurge end? If the people of Iran and the world are fortunate, these events will compel real change. That is a tall order, given the power of repression and a totalitarian state, but it is possible.
Short of that, reality is undeniable. Iran’s government has zero legitimacy. European allies must now join the US in saying so. Americans should harmonize around this fact. The people of Iran, like those of the erstwhile Soviet Union, deserve freedom.
Watch Iran closely. Things are happening, that have not in 40 years. The events are big. Historic parallels are world-shaking. Let us hope, as winds of change fill Iranian sails, courageous Iranians will not be caught in irons. The next few days, weeks, months are consequential – for all of us.

From https://amac.us/watch-iran-closely-history-suggests-big-change-is-coming/

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The support article for this thread is a mixture of fact and fiction as was pointed out by other posters. The US has not helped Iran for years now, but the world until Trump looked up to the US, and followed us. The major breakthrough for Iran was when the world and Iran reached an  agreement no N weapons. Trump broke that agreement with the world and Iran, and what we see today in the way of killings, tanker attacks, missiles, etc all come from what Trump did. If we did not have Trump as President none of this would have happened. There would be176 people alive today that are not. We are being thrown out of Iraq, and the other Middle East Countries are talking with each other, and Iran as they now know the USA can not be trusted with Trump as President. Russia will be the big winner in all of this. Even Israel is dealing with Russia on things they used to only work with us on.

The main problem in Iran is religion controls the govt., and you will see the same thing here if the far right Ev. get more control. Iran is now a dictatorship, and so is the US under Trump so both countries will follow the same path as all Dictators do that. Trump needs to get another term to complete his takeover. Iran will in time over throw its dictator just as every other country has done and become a democracy again. The far right here are clever and you see that in the support article. Do not fall for what  they preach.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Iran does appear to be poised on one of those amazing "cusps" of History and the people seem sincerely fed up with the stupid mistakes their Government keeps making.

Not a good time for the US to make any moves that their Supreme Leader, the Azahola Kackamamie can use to whip up anti-American rage by being able to blame us for their problems, or make credible claims WE are trying to subvert their Government.

Too bad nobody anywhere considers the US an honest broker in anything anymore. Not a good time for an infantile gutless preppytwit facing jail time to be in charge of our military.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Keep an eye on Iran...

The US has been stirring the pot in the Middle East since the end of WWII, we should let things settle down.

We should practice what we preach, the rule of law, democracy, a community of nations, diplomacy. 

Silver Conversationalist

I wonder if the original post was the writer's original work, or if it was copied and pasted from elsewhere. I often am left with that question while reading a lot of posts in this forum. Maybe they are his words, I am not saying otherwise. Just wondering. Anyway, I digress.

Now I'm trying to recollect the general history of Iran and the region over the past 30 years or so. There was the Iraq-Iran war (the "tanker war"), where Iraq was the aggressor (the US seemed to play both sides). So that bit of mischief was not Iran's doing. 

Former President Khatami (1997-2005), I don't recall too well. I think he was a friendly face to the west. He did run for election on a platform of "opening" both internally (Iran) and externally. Unfortunately, the pendulum swung the other way and hard liner Ahmadinejad was elected (2005-2013); not great times internally or externally.

Now there is President Hassan Rouhani (2013-?? maybe he'll be out of office next year). He was very open to working with the West. He put a lot of his reputation on the line supporting the nuclear treaty, most Iranian hardliners were dead set against it. It was expected that with relief of most sanctions conditions in the country would improve for the populace, and relations would improve with the West. Unfortunately, personality politics in the US came to fore a few years ago and our relations with Iran have been set back many years ...in fact, like the OP says they may have been set back 40 years to 1980 and the Iran hostage situation. In this event I think we have a cadre of ultra right wing Republican hawks and President Trump to thank for this situation. I am not pleased about this myself.

Perhaps I got sidetracked a bit. My point with respect to the original post is that the internal convulsions in Iran have occurred before several times! And if the US really and truly wants to help these people it would not have pulled out of the nuclear treaty but would re-open direct diplomatic relations with Iran and work with the country. But it seems that many people here in the US have not and will not forget the sting of the US embassy hostages in 1979. Which is odd, contrast how the country of Viet Nam has quite good relations with the US now (recall that we fought a war there?) There is regular US tourism to there, including many US soldiers of all branches who have gone back there. And they provide the US with a great deal of textile products and fine furniture (the cheap stuff comes from China).

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@fffred wrote:

Now there is President Hassan Rouhani (2013-?? maybe he'll be out of office next year). He was very open to working with the West. He put a lot of his reputation on the line supporting the nuclear treaty, most Iranian hardliners were dead set against it.

And, unfortunately, they had good reason not to trust "the Great Satan", the US, as has been proven.

Recognized Social Butterfly

@fffred wrote:

I wonder if the original post was the writer's original work, or if it was copied and pasted from elsewhere. I often am left with that question while reading a lot of posts in this forum. Maybe they are his words, I am not saying otherwise. Just wondering. Anyway, I digress.

Doing a google search of the first paragraph shows it is from the Association of Mature American Citizens website (the supposedly unpolitical alternative), written by Robert B Charles.

Silver Conversationalist

Thanks for the research. I had strong doubts that it was original material. Not that it really matters all that much, I suppose.

I hadn’t read, or waded, through the post this morning (my fever was too high), though I did later. I found it to be flaccid writing. Lots of awful papulum. Another poster here addressed the half-truths and lies presented. It’s astonishing that these are still around. And that some people believe them. It’s like Pizzagate; there was no basement dude.

@sp362 wrote:

@fffred wrote:

Doing a google search of the first paragraph shows it is from the Association of Mature American Citizens website (the supposedly unpolitical alternative), written by Robert B Charles.

Silver Conversationalist

Did you forget that the US (CIA) and UK overthrew the democratic elected government of Iran in the early 1950's? Maybe the 1979 revolution was the Iranians practicing their "self-determination".

Yep. Iran's current government is repressive and causes a lot of mischief around the region. However, I don't think they have produced any worse results than the US has.

It is really unfortunate that the current US administration pulled out of the "nuclear" treaty with Iran (due to the personality politics of our President). This was the same process used with the Soviet Union... first the Nuke treaties, the high level. Lots of bickering. Some success. Then over years of negotiations things eased up. A relationship was established. The same process could have played out with Iran.

The current tack of the US is it wants to drive Iran into the ground. I just don't see that this is called for. JMO.

Honored Social Butterfly

@fffred wrote:

Did you forget that the US (CIA) and UK overthrew the democratic elected government of Iran in the early 1950's? Maybe the 1979 revolution was the Iranians practicing their "self-determination".

Yep. Iran's current government is repressive and causes a lot of mischief around the region. However, I don't think they have produced any worse results than the US has.

It is really unfortunate that the current US administration pulled out of the "nuclear" treaty with Iran (due to the personality politics of our President). This was the same process used with the Soviet Union... first the Nuke treaties, the high level. Lots of bickering. Some success. Then over years of negotiations things eased up. A relationship was established. The same process could have played out with Iran.

The current tack of the US is it wants to drive Iran into the ground. I just don't see that this is called for. JMO.

Thank you for your sanity in this. Pulling out of the nuclear treaty was lame brain, he only did as part of undoing anything that Obama did to appease the Obama haters.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

I may be wrong on this one. but I feel that disregarding the Iranian movement , Iran as a nation will ally with Russia. They need to become very strong in the Region against Saudi Arabia and Israel. in the middle East. so, whatever happens in their govenrmnt that alliance is not going to change at least for now.

no name
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png