Medicare open enrollment ends Dec. 7! Get the information you need from AARP’s Medicare resource center.

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Kamala Showing No Love For Donnie (Democratic Debates)

Message 11 of 21

@MaVolta wrote:

Beto clearly had his best moment with "Hell yes, we're going to take your AR-15, your AK-47. "We're not going to allow it to be used against our fellow Americans anymore." Simply banning assault weapons isn't enough. To get them out of circulation means a mandatory buy-back, and making it illegal to own one or possess one. I'm glad he has the courage to stand up for his convictions. Finally, a D who won't apologize for taking a stand! 

As for the rest of the lot - meh.

Yes, I agree -- it was refreshing to hear Beto make this statement with no apologies and no caveats, just passion and in your face.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 21

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 21

My takeaways -

Elizabeth Warren had the best night. She didn't make any mistakes. She already had traction coming into the debate, so there is an opportunity for her to build on that. And by the way, she's running 2nd to Biden in Texas now, with Beto coming in 3rd. 

Biden and Sanders, once again prove that they are too old. Biden is out of touch and Sanders is an old grouch. What is appealing about that?

Cory Booker had a good night, also. I'm baffled as to why he doesn't poll higher. He's progressive enough, and articulates his views with passion and clarity. 

Kamala Harris had a few good moments, but likely not enough to move her poll numbers.

Beto had his best debate to date. He campaign reported a spike in new contributions, so it seems he did help himself, and shows that he's going to be in this for a while. Even if the top of the ticket is out of reach, he could still have an angle for the Veep spot, especially if D's are showing progress toward turning Texas blue. 

Beto clearly had his best moment with "Hell yes, we're going to take your AR-15, your AK-47. "We're not going to allow it to be used against our fellow Americans anymore." Simply banning assault weapons isn't enough. To get them out of circulation means a mandatory buy-back, and making it illegal to own one or possess one. I'm glad he has the courage to stand up for his convictions. Finally, a D who won't apologize for taking a stand! 

As for the rest of the lot - meh.

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 21

@L42010 wrote:

@L42010 wrote:

Idk, but it appears to me that Biden feels that no one should question or disagree with his platform because he is riding off from Pres. Obama's coattails.  He is not Obama, wasn't Obama and should keep the respect he earned as Obama's VP.  Kudos to Castro for questioning him about what he did say....one would have to "buy in" the medicare expansion program.

Harris definately shows her insistance on how this country needs to get rid of Trump and she does it quite well too!

Below is the script via The New York Times article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/12/us/politics/castro-biden-memory-age-debate.html

The following is the full exchange:

CASTRO: Thank you. And I also want to recognize the work that Bernie has done on this and, of course, we owe a debt of gratitude to President Barack Obama. Of course, I also worked for President Obama, Vice President Biden, and I know that the problem with your plan is that it leaves 10 million people uncovered. Now, on the last debate stage in Detroit, you said that wasn’t true when Senator Harris brought that up. There was a fact check of that, they said that was true. You know, I grew up with a grandmother who had Type II diabetes and I watched her condition get worse and worse.

But that whole time, she had Medicare. I want every single American family to have a strong Medicare plan available. If they choose to hold on to strong, solid private health insurance, I believe they should be able to do that. But the differences between what I support and what you support, Vice President Biden, is that you require them to opt in and I would not require them to opt in, they would automatically be enrolled. They wouldn’t have to buy in. That’s a big difference, because Barack Obama’s vision was not to leave 10 million people uncovered. He wanted every single person in this country covered. My plan would do that. Your plan would not.

BIDEN: They do not have to buy in. They do not have to buy in.

CASTRO: You just said that, you just said that two minutes ago. You just said two minutes ago they would have to buy in.

BIDEN: I never said they had to buy in, if they qualify for Medicare …

CROSS TALK

CASTRO: Are you forgetting what you said two minutes ago? Are you forgetting already what you said just two minutes ago? I can’t believe that you said two minutes ago that they had to buy in and now you’re saying they don’t have to buy in. You’re forgetting that.

BIDEN: I said anyone like your grandmother who has no money —

CASTRO: We need a health care system —

BIDEN: — you are automatically enrolled.

CASTRO: — automatically enrolls people regardless if they choose to opt in or not. If you lose your job, for instance, his health care plan would not automatically enroll you, you would have to opt in. My health care plan would. That’s a big difference. I’m fulfilling the legacy of Barack Obama and you’re not.

BIDEN: That will be a surprise to him.

PETE BUTTIGIEG: This is why presidential debates are becoming unwatchable. This reminds everybody of what they cannot stand about Washington. Scores points against each other. Poking at each other. And telling each other that my plan, look, we —

CASTRO: That’s called the Democratic primary election, Pete. That’s called an election. That’s an election. You know? This is what we’re here for. It’s an election.

In all fairness to Joe Biden, he did NOT say you would have to buy in as Castro accused.  From the same article:

It did not appear, however, that Mr. Biden had said that people would need to opt in, as Mr. Castro had claimed. Mr. Biden did say that if someone lost their job, they could potentially buy in to Medicare.

“If you want Medicare, if you lose the job from your insurance company, from your employer, you automatically can buy into this,” Mr. Biden said earlier. “You don’t have — no pre-existing condition can stop you from buying in. You get covered. Period.”

You can watch the replay here.

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 21

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Biden shows me that he is slipping. Bernie seemed much sharper than Biden. Warren impresses me.

IMHO, we need a progressive ..... Biden is no progressive.

I agreed with Kamala about trump.

I like progressive ideas if you can show how to pay for it, not just,'Pie in the sky,' Biden has a good middle of the road approach that will resonate with most voters, and not scare the daylights out of them.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 21

@L42010 wrote:

Idk, but it appears to me that Biden feels that no one should question or disagree with his platform because he is riding off from Pres. Obama's coattails.  He is not Obama, wasn't Obama and should keep the respect he earned as Obama's VP.  Kudos to Castro for questioning him about what he did say....one would have to "buy in" the medicare expansion program.

Harris definately shows her insistance on how this country needs to get rid of Trump and she does it quite well too!

Below is the script via The New York Times article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/12/us/politics/castro-biden-memory-age-debate.html

The following is the full exchange:

CASTRO: Thank you. And I also want to recognize the work that Bernie has done on this and, of course, we owe a debt of gratitude to President Barack Obama. Of course, I also worked for President Obama, Vice President Biden, and I know that the problem with your plan is that it leaves 10 million people uncovered. Now, on the last debate stage in Detroit, you said that wasn’t true when Senator Harris brought that up. There was a fact check of that, they said that was true. You know, I grew up with a grandmother who had Type II diabetes and I watched her condition get worse and worse.

But that whole time, she had Medicare. I want every single American family to have a strong Medicare plan available. If they choose to hold on to strong, solid private health insurance, I believe they should be able to do that. But the differences between what I support and what you support, Vice President Biden, is that you require them to opt in and I would not require them to opt in, they would automatically be enrolled. They wouldn’t have to buy in. That’s a big difference, because Barack Obama’s vision was not to leave 10 million people uncovered. He wanted every single person in this country covered. My plan would do that. Your plan would not.

BIDEN: They do not have to buy in. They do not have to buy in.

CASTRO: You just said that, you just said that two minutes ago. You just said two minutes ago they would have to buy in.

BIDEN: I never said they had to buy in, if they qualify for Medicare …

CROSS TALK

CASTRO: Are you forgetting what you said two minutes ago? Are you forgetting already what you said just two minutes ago? I can’t believe that you said two minutes ago that they had to buy in and now you’re saying they don’t have to buy in. You’re forgetting that.

BIDEN: I said anyone like your grandmother who has no money —

CASTRO: We need a health care system —

BIDEN: — you are automatically enrolled.

CASTRO: — automatically enrolls people regardless if they choose to opt in or not. If you lose your job, for instance, his health care plan would not automatically enroll you, you would have to opt in. My health care plan would. That’s a big difference. I’m fulfilling the legacy of Barack Obama and you’re not.

BIDEN: That will be a surprise to him.

PETE BUTTIGIEG: This is why presidential debates are becoming unwatchable. This reminds everybody of what they cannot stand about Washington. Scores points against each other. Poking at each other. And telling each other that my plan, look, we —

CASTRO: That’s called the Democratic primary election, Pete. That’s called an election. That’s an election. You know? This is what we’re here for. It’s an election.

"Treat others as You would have Them treat you"
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 21

"Treat others as You would have Them treat you"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 21

Biden shows me that he is slipping. Bernie seemed much sharper than Biden. Warren impresses me.

IMHO, we need a progressive ..... Biden is no progressive.

I agreed with Kamala about trump.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 21

@john258 wrote:. They did not talk about what the Reb. did in NC house to pass a veto override. As the person who called the last election over 90% said on TV if the Dems in NC had pushed Trump more rather than all the programs we heard about tonight they would have won. The next President will spend 4 years or longer undoing the damage Trump has done in his 4 years.

Sad to say, but the next President will NEVER undo the damage tRump has inflected on the USA.

The World now knows Americans are capable of electing and keeping a fascist psychopath as their ToadPOTUS. They will NEVER again put their Trust in the USA. The gutless draft-dodging psychopath has ended The American Century.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 21

@MsStretch wrote:

Kamala Harris is zinging 'em out at Donnie.  She had me rolling with her opening statement directed at Trump saying she "knew he was watching" and then telling him he could go back to watching Fox News.  She just called him like the little man behind the curtain in 'Wizard of Oz'.

Things got a little testy with Biden, but he is polling the highest, so it would seem he would be the one to overcome for a Democratic nomination.  Not hearing much from Sanders yet.  Yang has me intrigued on a couple of things.

I watched it off and on. I did see Harris statement on Trump. Sadly the main topic should have been Trump and what he is doing to this country, and how it will destroy the country. They should cover what a Dictator is, and how they operate. This is really the first thing that must be dealt with right now. After that you get to new plans and programs. They should cover how they will repair the Fed. government after Trump. They talk about health care, but fail to show how Trump is in the process of killing the entire system. We saw the number of uninsured move up for the first time in years last year. That tells us the system is being destroyed by what Trump is doing with rule changes and we all will be hit with really higher costs shortly. They did not talk about the Reb. cancelling primary elections where they can so Trump will have no opposition. They did not talk about what the Reb. did in NC house to pass a veto override. As the person who called the last election over 90% said on TV if the Dems in NC had pushed Trump more rather than all the programs we heard about tonight they would have won. The next President will spend 4 years or longer undoing the damage Trump has done in his 4 years.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs
Now through Nov. 22