Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Just how partisan is Facebook's fake news? We tested it

Message 1 of 6

Yup,  sometimes I wonder why I bother to waste my time laying out facts when I know they will be discounted. As for your post no truer words were ever spoken!

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6

@afisher wrote:

Unfortunately this will be TLSmiley Very HappyR for many and worse is that people have already decided on what is or is not 'fake news".    Worse is that Donald is now attempting to hijack the term and apply it to anything that does not fit into his bubble.   

The White Nationalist here have eliminated linking many of their non-op-ed only pieces to websites, because as was noted yesterday - the sites often are not reputable.      http://news.wgbh.org/2017/03/15/politics-government/major-new-study-shows-political-polarization-mai...

Interesting link, afish.  Thank you!

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

@pc6063 wrote:

Hey cent--very interesting--I've read other articles that said right is emeshed in more "fake news," but I thought this one, due to it's hands on approach was far more interesting. Thanks! 

My pleasure!  Just remember which "side" here has posted the "Fake News".  It's a hoot.

@AS one blogger wrote:

I admire all of you trying to present solid evidence to Conservatives. In my experience the effort will be futile. Righties choose to believe certain things and simply ignore any evidence or arguments that rebut their preferred positions. It is like arguing with a brick. As the band Jethro Tull said:

Really don't mind if you sit this one out
My word's but a whisper your deafness a SHOUT
I may make you feel but I can't make you think
Your sperm's in the gutter your love's in the sink

So you ride yourselves over the fields
And you make all your animal deals
And your wise men don't know how it feels
To be thick as a brick

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

Hey cent--very interesting--I've read other articles that said right is emeshed in more "fake news," but I thought this one, due to it's hands on approach was far more interesting. Thanks! 

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

Unfortunately this will be TLSmiley Very HappyR for many and worse is that people have already decided on what is or is not 'fake news".    Worse is that Donald is now attempting to hijack the term and apply it to anything that does not fit into his bubble.   

The White Nationalist here have eliminated linking many of their non-op-ed only pieces to websites, because as was noted yesterday - the sites often are not reputable.      http://news.wgbh.org/2017/03/15/politics-government/major-new-study-shows-political-polarization-mai...

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Just how partisan is Facebook's fake news? We tested it

Message 6 of 6

Just how partisan is Facebook's fake news? We tested it

It was only a few minutes after my imaginary Trump supporter “Todd White” began exploring Facebook that he learned filmmaker Michael Moore was staging a coup d’etat against president-elect Donald Trump. Todd also learned that Trump won the popular vote. And that there were people paid to protest at Trump rallies.

None of that is true, of course. That’s the sort of fake news that’s being disseminated by Facebook—bogus content that many believe was written by partisan groups to influence the election. But how do Facebook users end up seeing it? We decided to test who’s seeing this partisan fake news, who’s supplying it, and just how obvious it is. 

We began our investigation last Monday, as the fake-news controversy gained momentum—and Facebook and Google began blocking sites that traffic in disinformation from their respective advertising networks. We set up two Facebook accounts, one favoring Hillary Clinton, and the other supporting Trump, then let Facebook recommend a series of news pages. In effect, we were asking Facebook to be our news service. 

Then we sat back and watched the news roll in. We looked closely at each post to determine whether it was real news, fake news, or something in between. 

Fake news is real problem

Questions about Facebook’s role in spreading fake news were raised almost as soon as Trump shocked the world with his victory. BuzzFeed and other news sites began publishing reports about how a small town in Macedonia turned fake election news into a cottage industry. 

It appears the authors behind the fake news reports had no partisan agenda. They were just in it for the money. One creator claimed he could make $10,000 per week in ad revenue from stories that were shared among Trump supporters.

The Macedonians may still be at it, because our Republican supporter, Todd White, was flooded with partisan posts. Worse, over a little more than two days, we counted 10 such posts in his feed that were fake, most accusing Democrats or their supporters of illegal activity. In all, White was clearly exposed to more spin than his Democratic counterpart, Chris Smith, who saw exactly zero fake news stories.

But the problem goes beyond fake news. As Facebook’s feeds prove, we live in a “post-truth” world, where the line between partisan spin and outright lies is practically indistinguishable...."

"....We didn’t receive any fake news on our imaginary Clinton supporter’s page. These stories do exist—but there are far fewer than the fake news from the Trump side. As the Macedonian writers of fake news told BuzzFeed, there’s not as much money in it. But here’s a smattering of what you can find on the Internet:

”Trump supporters call to boycott Pepsi over comments the CEO never made”
Pepsi CEO Indra Nooyi did not tell Trump supporters to “take their business elsewhere.

”‘Lie Witness News’ Asks People About Donald Trump’s Fake White House Renovation Plans” 

This is openly fake news—Jimmy Kimmel’s “reports” about how Trump plans to redesign the White House."

more at:  Just how partisan is Facebook's fake news? We tested it

Kudos
Views
Replies