Highlighted
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Jussie Smollett - A Movie ? (R) Rated

Message 1 of 11

congratulations rk. This is a surprisingly well reasoned post! 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 11

@Richva wrote:

I think the right wing-nuts here are going to need a dictionary to look up the word "racism". 

Did he not claim that he was attacked for racial and homophobic reasons?

His act may not be "racist" but his ability to get the publicity he got on the assumption that the attacks were racially motivated show a terribly place we have allowed our nation to go with our emphasis on victimology.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 11

I think the right wing-nuts here are going to need a dictionary to look up the word "racism". 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 11

Good post, jim.

This is a prime example of where the politics of division has brought us. But nothing new:

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/12/03/muslim-woman-harassed-on-subway/

She was later arrested and pled guilty to filing a false report. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 11

Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 6.23.47 AM.png

The "Rush to Judgement" is coming back to haunt many of the very outspoken Pols...

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 11

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

This just keeps getting weirder and weirder . . . . .

It has it all to say the least - claim of racism, homophobia, bondage, with an array of characters.

All I can determine at this point is that it is gonna be made into a movie.

The Life and Times of Jussie . . . . .

Anybody following this saga ?

Right, now that it looks like a scam "no rush to judgement". But when it was first announced, the media went bonkers - like the Covington case - like the Kavanaugh case - like any case the appears to reflect badly on "the other guys".

Of course they went bonkers. If true, this is a story with a lot of "legs".  Now, if maybe not true, this story has the media doubly worked up. Are you suggesting that the same people who supported Kavanaugh are the ones who look bad by association when a racist story is published?  Interesting admission. 

Of course it has legs. When the MAGA hat got thrown in, they sprung out immediately.

Game playing a bit there with your "interesting admission". I think, at least I hope you know better.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 11

@rk9152 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

It has it all to say the least - claim of racism, homophobia, bondage, with an array of characters.

Right, now that it looks like a scam "no rush to judgement". But when it was first announced, the media went bonkers - like the Covington case - like the Kavanaugh case - like any case the appears to reflect badly on "the other guys".

Of course they went bonkers. If true, this is a story with a lot of "legs".  Now, if maybe not true, this story has the media doubly worked up. Are you suggesting that the same people who supported Kavanaugh are the ones who look bad by association when a racist story is published?  Interesting admission. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 11

@GailL1 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 11

@GailL1 wrote:

There are a lot of people following this. Police, Press are the 2 that should be and in the end we will all know what really took place. Right now other than the 2 group no one can determine what really happended, and no one should try. The movie might be made after all the facts are known.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 11

I have been "half" following it. Sounds more and more like a fake.

This would not be the first such fake based on a purported racist attack on a minority. There have been some famous ones (Tawana Brawley).

We can guess at the motivations. Possibly different in each case. Maybe it's like that Munchausen's syndrome...someone wants the attention so they fake a calamity.

And it's certainly not limited to only black victim/self-perpetrators. Plenty of whites have done that too, attributing a "rape" to some black men (when actually it was some white boyfriend, not a rape), etc.

I was going to say that I think that no one should make a big deal out of if it's a fake...meaning no one from "either side". But, I don't know, maybe there should be a big deal made?

Edit to add... so, the "big deal"... what if there had been "race riots" over this and people were killed!? That would have been a big deal.

One similar situation is that of the young black man (14?) Emmett Till, who was alleged to have whistled at a white adult woman, who was then hanged, body mutiliated. I'd heard of this all my life but it wasn't until a few years ago that I saw photos of his mutilated body...on the internet. It turned out that he had been falsely accused, the story had been made up. The female victim recanting her story later in life and becoming very remorseful. (this latter part I had not known until I was researching about Emmett Till recently)

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Call-in Event: Coronavirus: Maintaining Your Well-Being

Ask experts about the coronavirus, learn how to protect yourself, stay connected and cope with stress and anxiety brought on by the pandemic. Join AARP for a special call-in event April 9, at 1:00 pm (EDT).

You can participate by calling toll-free 1-855-274-9507.

Learn more about the event on our Tele-Town Hall page.

Top Authors