Become a safer, more confident driver with the AARP Smart Driver course! Use the promo code VET and save 25% during November.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Jobs (part 2)

Message 11 of 16

@pc6063 wrote:

As trump dismantles programs that help students with a crushing debt load, the shortage of doctors will increase.

Let's see.  A younger brother completed college with a master degree in math.  Our three children completed college with no debt at all.  Our daughter-in-law competed dental school, now a professor at the same university, and with no debt at all. 

It can be done.  And the shortage of doctors has been around since before Trump was even thought of as President.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 16

A month or so ago, there was a thread that spoke to manufacturing jobs in the US, which were not being filled by US workers due to the inability to pass drug tests.  Foreign docs in the US is not a new phenomena; it has been going on for years.  As trump dismantles programs that help students with a crushing debt load, the shortage of doctors will increase.

As far as education in the US, there does seem to be a problem when we have so many people who believe the ridiculous propaganda put forth by the trump administration and its media friends.  It shows a clear inability to think logically and introspectively.  There seems to be absolutley no critical thinking skills what so ever.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 16

This whine is quite remarkable in it's ignorance of how the AMA actually worked for decades to keep the number of physicians low.    They have now created their own Catch-22 situation, in which the debt load for US students to go from college to medical school to speciality is prohibitive to many.    To fill the void, the US turned to qualified physicians from "other countries".   

The Federalist ( via their RW blog) sent out a missive today with " a solution" - just let those who have completed medical school but no residency, be the ones to treat people.    Gee, I'm sure everyone will run to that office for their oncological treatment.

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 16

@rk9152 wrote:

There are permits being given to foreign workers in thetech world because American companies are unable to find Americans capable of filling them. Does that not say something about the way we are educating our children?

Have you noticed the number of foreign doctors? That is a high paying field. I have seen a picture of my oncologist's family, his wife is wearing a hijab. My GP is from the Philippines.

Along the same line, the building trades find it almost impossible to find qualified workers and end up going the agriculture route (immigrants). Why are young Americans not able to fill these jobs??

The reason of so many foreign  doctors is an old one. My father was a pediatrician. and I come from a family of many doctors. Many of them migrated to the US. 
It has always been that the AMA has been the biggest stumbling block in allowing many Americans to be able to enter Medical Schools and the amout of steps that they have to go thru before they can even get in to study medicine, so what has happened,? because of the growth of the populations they had no option but to open up the amount of foreign doctors that had applied to practice in thid country. Many Americans had to resort to go to different countries. like Mexico. study Medicine there and then come back and pass the necessary test to be able to practice here, Remember Granada, in the caribean? 
And now the cost in this country to become a doctor has become prohibited. 
Regarding the Tech industry, back in the 90's  I saw Microsoft hire tons of foreign workers because they could get them at very low salaries. and that practice was extremely known in the 90's by most of the computer software people and engineers.
So, now you are doing like Trump and not doing your homework. do some research and examine the causes before before you tell us, that Americans do not know what they are doing and that is why we have to hire outside.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 16

@rk9152 wrote:

There are permits being given to foreign workers in thetech world because American companies are unable to find Americans capable of filling them. Does that not say something about the way we are educating our children?

Have you noticed the number of foreign doctors? That is a high paying field. I have seen a picture of my oncologist's family, his wife is wearing a hijab. My GP is from the Philippines.

Along the same line, the building trades find it almost impossible to find qualified workers and end up going the agriculture route (immigrants). Why are young Americans not able to fill these jobs??

In my opinion our education system has failed the young people in America.  It appears they have been indoctrinated instead of educated about how the world works.  It is sad but a reality...  Just talk to some of them and ask basic questions about work, finances and roles of responsibility.

We are so fortunate, we have our oldest granddaughter for the summer (16) who is learning all about the different jobs that must be performed daily here on our small farm with crops and animals.  It is amazing to her to see this up close.  I have been so impressed with her eagerness to learn things she has not been taught in public high school in Charlotte, NC.

Today we are installing a new pump in one of the irrigation wells and she has been here for every step of the way.  Eager to learn encourages me, she is really a great inspiration, these young people need to be exposed to the real world and learn to THINK for themselves.

The very best teachers in my life have been the ones that have told me where to look without telling me what to see...

You raise a good topic @rk9152...

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Jobs (part 2)

Message 16 of 16

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors