AARP members get more! Take a look at your member benefits.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Jobs (part 2)

Message 1 of 16

@rker321 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

de.

Not being medically trained, I'll have to yield to your expert knowledge on the AMA preventing Americans becoming doctors. Please!!! don't try to convolute the issue. The AMA for years played a very important factor on who could apply to a Medical School and the steps that needed to be taken. nothing new, 

You blame the AMA, Idon't know, I yield to you

However, the theory of "hiring cheaper" - the law is supposed to deal with that problem. If it isn't, the answer is simple, enforce existing law. The H2b visas have been abused for over 30 years. you know that I know that and the world knows that. 

Agreed and the solution is obvious - enforce the law.

On the other hand, if there are truly tech trained people who would rather live in Dad and Mom's basement than work hard and "start at the bottom" there is nothing that can be done legally except grant the visas for the foreigners.  Generalizing?  Do you know many kids that live in basements of Mom's home without a job and college degrees that cannot get a job? Probably a lot. because Corps. will hire people from other countries that they can hire at a lower entry salary.

Once again - enforce the law and them we shall see if there are American able and willing to fill the slots.

As to your last para - try to get over your obsession with President Trump and deal with an ongoing situation - education not meeting the needs of our Nation. I am the last individual that is going to defend the public school system. I have stated many times that my kids never went to public school, and the reason was because I found them pretty bad. so, yes, the educational system up to 12 grade needs lots of help.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 16

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Republicans LOVE to confuse anecdotes with evidence. they seem to think they can convince the rest of us that since ONE horse from Kentucky won the Triple Crown, all the rest of the horses in Kentucky COULD win the TC, but they're too lazy and somebody feeds them anyway.

They even praise one-shot solutions as being WMD for destroying obsticles to a better life - good that somebody took the time to research all those untapped scholarships - a friend back in the 60's did the same thing by declaring a major in Chinese after learning there was a scholarship for Chinese Majors set up in the 20's but never claimed at her midwestern university. What GOPers fail to admit is THERE'S ONLY ONE, so it cannot be a solution for thousands.

People, the existance of some random real-life Horatio Alger's character does NOT mean everyone needs to ACCEPT a return to the 19th Century where only the Uberrich ...and a lucky few whom they chose to mentor...can prosper. From 1945 until 1975, an education at a major State University could be paid for with a reasonable summer job and NO BORROWING. No reason we can't give that same opportunity to the kids in the class of 2017 - all we need to do is repeal the Reagan taxscam and restore the Revenue Sharing that made education affordable for all.

This is not about horse racing, this is about jobs without people to fill them. Do you not care about that?

I have seen nothing about a WMD. I think we all understand that a variety of solutions are needed - certainly beyond merely blaming GOPers and Uberrich.

And then the cost of education. If they are unable to fill jobs while having debt, how can they fill them if the education is free (actually, as we know, there is no such a thing as "free")?

Bottom line - companies are having to hire foreigners - do you have any ideas as to how to get Americans capable and willing to fill the jobs??

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 16

@rk9152 wrote:

Not being medically trained, I'll have to yield to your expert knowledge on the AMA preventing Americans becoming doctors.

From what I understand, there is a restriction, or at one time was, on slots in medical schools thereby restricting new doctors being graduated.  This was required by the AMA.  If you would remember Reagan sending Marines to Granada to rescue American medical students attending school there?  This was because they couldn't get the training here so they went to Granada.

Cuba also offered to provide free training for medical students with the provision that when they returned to the United States, they would spend a period of time in lower class neighborhoods.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 16

@rk9152 wrote:

de.

Not being medically trained, I'll have to yield to your expert knowledge on the AMA preventing Americans becoming doctors. Please!!! don't try to convolute the issue. The AMA for years played a very important factor on who could apply to a Medical School and the steps that needed to be taken. nothing new, 

However, the theory of "hiring cheaper" - the law is supposed to deal with that problem. If it isn't, the answer is simple, enforce existing law. The H2b visas have been abused for over 30 years. you know that I know that and the world knows that. 

On the other hand, if there are truly tech trained people who would rather live in Dad and Mom's basement than work hard and "start at the bottom" there is nothing that can be done legally except grant the visas for the foreigners.  Generalizing?  Do you know many kids that live in basements of Mom's home without a job and college degrees that cannot get a job? Probably a lot. because Corps. will hire people from other countries that they can hire at a lower entry salary.

As to your last para - try to get over your obsession with President Trump and deal with an ongoing situation - education not meeting the needs of our Nation. I am the last individual that is going to defend the public school system. I have stated many times that my kids never went to public school, and the reason was because I found them pretty bad. so, yes, the educational system up to 12 grade needs lots of help.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 16

@pc6063 wrote:

A month or so ago, there was a thread that spoke to manufacturing jobs in the US, which were not being filled by US workers due to the inability to pass drug tests.  Foreign docs in the US is not a new phenomena; it has been going on for years.  As trump dismantles programs that help students with a crushing debt load, the shortage of doctors will increase.

As far as education in the US, there does seem to be a problem when we have so many people who believe the ridiculous propaganda put forth by the trump administration and its media friends.  It shows a clear inability to think logically and introspectively.  There seems to be absolutley no critical thinking skills what so ever.

Drug tests?? What has that to do with the needed education?

Foreign doctors are not new - but why? Are Americans incapable, lazy,  uneducated, what?

Trump? - this is not a new situation. Try to think beyond your short range obsession.

What is, "ridiculous propaganda put forth by the trump administration and its media friends"?? Are the situations described in this topic not real and did they not predate President Trump?

Did student debt just begin last January??

With regard to this post, I agree, "There seems to be absolutely no critical thinking skills what so ever".

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 16

@rker321 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

There are permits being given to foreign workers in thetech world because American companies are unable to find Americans capable of filling them. Does that not say something about the way we are educating our children?

Have you noticed the number of foreign doctors? That is a high paying field. I have seen a picture of my oncologist's family, his wife is wearing a hijab. My GP is from the Philippines.

Along the same line, the building trades find it almost impossible to find qualified workers and end up going the agriculture route (immigrants). Why are young Americans not able to fill these jobs??

The reason of so many foreign  doctors is an old one. My father was a pediatrician. and I come from a family of many doctors. Many of them migrated to the US. 
It has always been that the AMA has been the biggest stumbling block in allowing many Americans to be able to enter Medical Schools and the amout of steps that they have to go thru before they can even get in to study medicine, so what has happened,? because of the growth of the populations they had no option but to open up the amount of foreign doctors that had applied to practice in thid country. Many Americans had to resort to go to different countries. like Mexico. study Medicine there and then come back and pass the necessary test to be able to practice here, Remember Granada, in the caribean? 
And now the cost in this country to become a doctor has become prohibited. 
Regarding the Tech industry, back in the 90's  I saw Microsoft hire tons of foreign workers because they could get them at very low salaries. and that practice was extremely known in the 90's by most of the computer software people and engineers.
So, now you are doing like Trump and not doing your homework. do some research and examine the causes before before you tell us, that Americans do not know what they are doing and that is why we have to hire outside.

Not being medically trained, I'll have to yield to your expert knowledge on the AMA preventing Americans becoming doctors.

However, the theory of "hiring cheaper" - the law is supposed to deal with that problem. If it isn't, the answer is simple, enforce existing law.

On the other hand, if there are truly tech trained people who would rather live in Dad and Mom's basement than work hard and "start at the bottom" there is nothing that can be done legally except grant the visas for the foreigners.

As to your last para - try to get over your obsession with President Trump and deal with an ongoing situation - education not meeting the needs of our Nation.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 16

@Olderscout66 wrote:

They even praise one-shot solutions as being WMD for destroying obsticles to a better life - good that somebody took the time to research all those untapped scholarships - a friend back in the 60's did the same thing by declaring a major in Chinese after learning there was a scholarship for Chinese Majors set up in the 20's but never claimed at her midwestern university.

I take that as mocking what I posted about my daughter.  Does say a lot about the character of a poster hiding in anonymity behind a computer keyboard.  But here that is becoming more and more a trait of the liberal posters....the 101st Liberal Keyboard Brigade, taking no prisoners.

But there are many scholarships out there for those willing to look.  And with the internet today it is more far reaching. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 16

Republicans LOVE to confuse anecdotes with evidence. they seem to think they can convince the rest of us that since ONE horse from Kentucky won the Triple Crown, all the rest of the horses in Kentucky COULD win the TC, but they're too lazy and somebody feeds them anyway.

They even praise one-shot solutions as being WMD for destroying obsticles to a better life - good that somebody took the time to research all those untapped scholarships - a friend back in the 60's did the same thing by declaring a major in Chinese after learning there was a scholarship for Chinese Majors set up in the 20's but never claimed at her midwestern university. What GOPers fail to admit is THERE'S ONLY ONE, so it cannot be a solution for thousands.

People, the existance of some random real-life Horatio Alger's character does NOT mean everyone needs to ACCEPT a return to the 19th Century where only the Uberrich ...and a lucky few whom they chose to mentor...can prosper. From 1945 until 1975, an education at a major State University could be paid for with a reasonable summer job and NO BORROWING. No reason we can't give that same opportunity to the kids in the class of 2017 - all we need to do is repeal the Reagan taxscam and restore the Revenue Sharing that made education affordable for all.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 16

@rker321 wrote:

Tx you are correct my kids have MA's and didn't incurred in debt. but first of all, they all worked full time while going to college. I worked full time, raised a family went to college and didn't incurred in any debt.

It certainly can be done. One of the problems that I have seen is that many kids don't want to avail themselves of the Community Colleges in their area and living at home is a most and also working full time is a need.

That was exactly the way they/we did it.  We made a deal with them that if they would study hard, we would continue providing a place for them to live.  Our daughter went one farther.  She dug into the college's computer looking for obscure scholarships that went unclaimed and not being applied for.

Then she applied for those that applied to her field of study and by default was awarded them.  They built up.

Our oldest went to the University of Texas/Arlington and stayed with my brother.  His cousins were the same age and on the same grade level.  They helped each other for a common study.

Our youngest had a 4.0 grade average in computer science and was hired by an oil company after getting his associates.  They paid for the rest of his education.  He is now an IT executive with that major international oil company.

If there is a will, there is a way as your children also demonstrated.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 16

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@pc6063 wrote:

As trump dismantles programs that help students with a crushing debt load, the shortage of doctors will increase.

Let's see.  A younger brother completed college with a master degree in math.  Our three children completed college with no debt at all.  Our daughter-in-law competed dental school, now a professor at the same university, and with no debt at all. 

It can be done.  And the shortage of doctors has been around since before Trump was even thought of as President.

Tx you are correct my kids have MA's and didn't incurred in debt. but first of all, they all worked full time while going to college. I worked full time, raised a family went to college and didn't incurred in any debt.

It certainly can be done. One of the problems that I have seen is that many kids don't want to avail themselves of the Community Colleges in their area and living at home is a most and also working full time is a need.
Yes, I understand that they have become extremely expensive, but they also have to space between semester so they can earn the money to complete that semester. I do understand that they will not finish in 4 years but they will fininsh and not with the amount of debt that many incurr.

In todays world there are many online courses of basic 101 courses that the Community colleges put out so they don't even have to go to class and the prices are not as high.
And yes, bringing up the foreign doctors situation was silly to say the least. It has always been like that since I came here over 50 years ago. Ask me how many American doctors went to Monterey Mexico to study medicine. and then come back here to practice.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs
Now through Nov. 22