With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover! Check out your member benefits.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Jeb says he will harm nation differently than Dubya

Message 1 of 11

@gordyfl wrote:

I'll bet his campaign stategists have it mapped out. They'll mention his last name as little as possible. It'll be "Jeb this" and "Jeb that". "Jeb, Jeb, Jeb." Avoid his last name as much as possible. Some will wonder if he even has a last name.

Probably at least as many as those who think his first name is Jeb.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 11

I'll bet his campaign stategists have it mapped out. They'll mention his last name as little as possible. It'll be "Jeb this" and "Jeb that". "Jeb, Jeb, Jeb." Avoid his last name as much as possible. Some will wonder if he even has a last name.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 11

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Liltman wrote:

In 2010 Jeb said that he did not disagree with any one of his brother's policies.  Now he states he is his own man.  But a number of people on his staff served under his brother.  So much for that reliability. 

That team he brought over from his brother is the one that engineered the 'hanging chads' and controversy in Florida.  Now we have to wonder if Jeb is being set up for some sneaky way to steal this election.  This country is becoming more and more like a third world country.

My bet is STILL for the GOPerGovs to legislate for the electoral votes to be awarded by Congressional District so the Mighty Gerrymander will steal the House AND the White House for the minority Republicans. Heard Michigan is already moving in that direction.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 11

@Liltman wrote:

In 2010 Jeb said that he did not disagree with any one of his brother's policies.  Now he states he is his own man.  But a number of people on his staff served under his brother.  So much for that reliability. 

That team he brought over from his brother is the one that engineered the 'hanging chads' and controversy in Florida.  Now we have to wonder if Jeb is being set up for some sneaky way to steal this election.  This country is becoming more and more like a third world country.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 11

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 11

rker321,   far be it from me to sound cynical  -  oh no   -  but Bush and advisors know he has the inside track  with his Hispanic wife.   With 54 million Hispanics in the U.S.,  representing 17% of the population,  it won't be long before the columnists start tallying up the actual numbers  of voting age Hispanics in the key states that decide presidential elections.  

Clearly,  if he is the nominee,  his wife's ethnicity will be enough to swing the election. (Presuming,   of course,  that Hildebeest,  or whoever is Democratic nominee,  doesn't put a minority on the ticket as well)   RoMoney,  Christie,  Paul,  none of the other Repugs have this ace-in-the hole card. 

Kinda like how us Old Line State folks got stuck with the GOP Bozo who is now  new governor.  (Never having held any elective office before) 

But he has an Asian wife who made sure she was out front and center,  pulling in votes for Lame Hubby from both Dems and independents he otherwise probably would not have gotten if he had white bread w/mayo wife.  

If all of his inane ideas were to be put in place (thank Gawd we still have a solid Demo majority in General Assembly)  it would set Maryland back 20 years.  As it is ,  seems some things can be put in place just thru executive order w/o/ legislative approval.  So,  we are in for some Hard Times ahead for next 4 years,   that much seems sure.   

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 11

@Olderscout66 wrote:

For 4 generations, the Bush Clan has proven it's only real talent was in selling their political influence. Both JEB and jr "profited" because daddy was some Washington muckamuck. Here's some examples for JEB:

According to the St. Petersburg Times, Recarey paid Bush’s real estate firm $75,000 in 1985, ostensibly for realty work. But IMC never actually purchased a building shown by Bush — who claimed he was unaware of Recarey’s previous arrest record and history of income tax evasion. Bush came to Recarey’s aid in a different way. Under a pilot program, IMC had received an temporary waiver from a rule limiting its maximum percentage of its receipts could come from Medicare and Recarey wanted to renew it. At his request, Bush — whose father was the U.S. Vice President at the time — agreed to contact the Department of HHS to encourage a “fair hearing” for the firm.

Bush has repeatedly claimed that he only contacted a low-level official and sought no special treatment for his client. But two HHS officials testified in 1987 to Congress that Bush had in fact contacted then-HHS Secretary Margaret “Peg” Heckler. In 2012, Heckler herself told the Huffington Post that Jeb Bush had lobbied her and that it had weighed heavily on her thinking on the matter: “He was involved, and I know that his compassion and my sense of conscience and his, I thought, matched, and therefore I was positive, acting upon this.” Federal regulators shut down the insolvent IMC in 1987 and Recarey was indicted for Medicare fraud. He left the country before he could be arrested and remains an international fugitive. In 1998, Bush told the St. Petersburg Times he was not as gullible at 45 as he had been 13 years earlier: “I have to have better radar.”

In 1986, John Ellis Bush joined the five-person board of directors of a new Swiss-owned bank with the fitting name of The Private Bank and Trust. The institution, which was described that year by the Miami Herald as a place “where the money of wealthy foreigners is managed — very discreetly,” served as a fee-based investment bank for wealthy, mostly-Latino investors. The newspaper detailed the firm’s extreme secrecy, noting that upon arriving at the bank, “the general manager or one of his aides will lead you to one of three sparsely furnished conference rooms and will close the door. Under the bank’s rules, officers must meet with clients in secluded offices, not at their desks, where outsiders could see confidential papers.”

Bush, whose father happened to be the vice president of the United States at the time, received $1,200 for his board service before resigning in 1987 to become Florida’s state commerce secretary. Four years later, federal regulators seized The Private Bank. According to the St. Petersburg Times, the government determined it had been “making investments contrary to client instructions and putting funds in companies affiliated with or managed by the bank.” Bush defended his prior tenure, saying, “There were no financial problems for me to be aware of when I was a director.” 

Yeah right JEB - All thses fine folks only became crooks after you left.

I have no doubt that all or this and much more will come out now that he is a presidential candidate, Whether any of this will hurt him with the Republican party we will all have to see. In my opinion it will be his moderate ideas that will in fact do him in, as a Republican candidate. In my view the things that we should be looking for are whatever is in Walkers past and present.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 11

For 4 generations, the Bush Clan has proven it's only real talent was in selling their political influence. Both JEB and jr "profited" because daddy was some Washington muckamuck. Here's some examples for JEB:

According to the St. Petersburg Times, Recarey paid Bush’s real estate firm $75,000 in 1985, ostensibly for realty work. But IMC never actually purchased a building shown by Bush — who claimed he was unaware of Recarey’s previous arrest record and history of income tax evasion. Bush came to Recarey’s aid in a different way. Under a pilot program, IMC had received an temporary waiver from a rule limiting its maximum percentage of its receipts could come from Medicare and Recarey wanted to renew it. At his request, Bush — whose father was the U.S. Vice President at the time — agreed to contact the Department of HHS to encourage a “fair hearing” for the firm.

Bush has repeatedly claimed that he only contacted a low-level official and sought no special treatment for his client. But two HHS officials testified in 1987 to Congress that Bush had in fact contacted then-HHS Secretary Margaret “Peg” Heckler. In 2012, Heckler herself told the Huffington Post that Jeb Bush had lobbied her and that it had weighed heavily on her thinking on the matter: “He was involved, and I know that his compassion and my sense of conscience and his, I thought, matched, and therefore I was positive, acting upon this.” Federal regulators shut down the insolvent IMC in 1987 and Recarey was indicted for Medicare fraud. He left the country before he could be arrested and remains an international fugitive. In 1998, Bush told the St. Petersburg Times he was not as gullible at 45 as he had been 13 years earlier: “I have to have better radar.”

In 1986, John Ellis Bush joined the five-person board of directors of a new Swiss-owned bank with the fitting name of The Private Bank and Trust. The institution, which was described that year by the Miami Herald as a place “where the money of wealthy foreigners is managed — very discreetly,” served as a fee-based investment bank for wealthy, mostly-Latino investors. The newspaper detailed the firm’s extreme secrecy, noting that upon arriving at the bank, “the general manager or one of his aides will lead you to one of three sparsely furnished conference rooms and will close the door. Under the bank’s rules, officers must meet with clients in secluded offices, not at their desks, where outsiders could see confidential papers.”

Bush, whose father happened to be the vice president of the United States at the time, received $1,200 for his board service before resigning in 1987 to become Florida’s state commerce secretary. Four years later, federal regulators seized The Private Bank. According to the St. Petersburg Times, the government determined it had been “making investments contrary to client instructions and putting funds in companies affiliated with or managed by the bank.” Bush defended his prior tenure, saying, “There were no financial problems for me to be aware of when I was a director.” 

Yeah right JEB - All thses fine folks only became crooks after you left.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 11

@intersan wrote:

What about South America as we haven't had too much interaction with them lately? Maybe he'll start with Venezuela to Columbia and go south from there. However, I think his preference for corporations and Wall Street will be our complete economic collapse. 

I have no doubt that Jeb is a well known Republican with Republican ideas and philosophies  but there is something that you are leaving out. He is the most establishment candidate of them all. It really brings fear to my spine to think that any of the others would win the elections. Then we would see the decline of the US at a much faster rate.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 11

What about South America as we haven't had too much interaction with them lately? Maybe he'll start with Venezuela to Columbia and go south from there. However, I think his preference for corporations and Wall Street will be our complete economic collapse. 

Kudos
Views