Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Jaywalking Sentence - Being Choked to Near Death

Message 31 of 81

@aruzinskywrote:

@alferdpackerwrote:

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

Additionally, no one is interested in your calling older folk on their spelling or grammar errors.

Many employers will not hire an applicant whose application contains spelling, usage and grammar errors - it is seen as an inability to appropriately attend to details that would adversely affect job performance...

Many people will question the ability of those who don't spell correctly and use grammar correctly to accurately parse the details and niceties of logic...

Would one wear tattered coveralls and a ragged flannel shirt  and work boots to a formal occasion and expect to be thought of the same as if one had worn appropriate formal wear?

The same applies to spelling and language...

Appearances DO matter...

Tell that to the producers of the very successful TV show, This is Us.  The title contains three grammar errors and should be "These are We." 

The glass teat?

No thanks...

44>dolt45
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 81

@alferdpackerwrote:

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

Additionally, no one is interested in your calling older folk on their spelling or grammar errors.

Many employers will not hire an applicant whose application contains spelling, usage and grammar errors - it is seen as an inability to appropriately attend to details that would adversely affect job performance...

Many people will question the ability of those who don't spell correctly and use grammar correctly to accurately parse the details and niceties of logic...

Would one wear tattered coveralls and a ragged flannel shirt  and work boots to a formal occasion and expect to be thought of the same as if one had worn appropriate formal wear?

The same applies to spelling and language...

Appearances DO matter...

Tell that to the producers of the very successful TV show, This is Us.  The title contains three grammar errors and should be "These are We." 

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 81

@aruzinskywrote:

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

I'm sorry, I confused "nearly dead" with "barely dead" because black lives don't matter.

Do you have anything intelligent to say about the libertarian aspects of this case?

Doubtful if it would have mattered if both was Black, or Black Cop/White Victim, etc.  Just the dissension matters.  He failed to acknowldge that both a cop and the victim admitted they did wrong.

Didn't fit his agenda.

But, it's not morally wrong to jaywalk.  It's even legal to jaywalk in England.  I often jaywalk and have never been punished.  

Furthermore, Jaywalking isn't punishable by a beating and choking the life out of someone.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 81

@MIsekerwrote:

I guess that means you and NOT will jump in when rk and kidboy point out poor typing skills, in spite of their own poor performance.

You guess wrong.  Who is the main offender in critiquing typing, grammar and spelling errors?  How often has RK and KidBoy pointed out that?

I do recall that KidBoy was jumped on because of his grammar.  KidBoy, a Korean War era veteran, like the rest of us older folk is supposed to recall grammar rules as well as the younger generation here?  Much like senior citizens are being taunted by a bunch of teenagers.

And of course you are way off the topic.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 81

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

@alferdpackerwrote:

But of course none of these posts are employment applications are they?   In non-formal situations relaxed pronunciation is not a requirement. 

Back 40 years ago when I was dealing with official correspondence I carefully checked over my grammar and spelling; but now I only do so when dealing with business or formal occasions.

These discussions are meant to be informal and not classroom perfect.  Although there are some who appears to use corrections in order to go after others.

I guess that means you and NOT will jump in when rk and kidboy point out poor typing skills, in spite of their own poor performance.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 81

@aruzinskywrote:

@alferdpackerwrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

Federal seat belt laws require manufacturers to install seat belts in motor vehicles.  No federal law requires drivers to use them.  Giving drivers the choice to use them is libertarian.  Every state except New Hampshire has a law that requires drivers to use seat belts, which is anti-libertarian.

No state seatbelt law has been successfully overturned using libertarian arguments - and probably never will be overturned with libertarian arguments...

Shouldn't persons not wearing seatbelts and motorcyclists not wearing helmets automatically become organ donors if killed in an accident?

At least, there is a war of libertarian ideologies within the Republican party.  Agreed.  I am unaware of any such war within the Democratic party.  Agreed again.... I suspect that any hope of repealing state seat belt laws depends on Republicans.  Again, I agree. I'm feeling a LOT of agreement here today, Aruse.  Though, who here would recommend repealing seat belts?

What does committing suicide, by choice or stupidity, have to do with involuntary organ donation?  It would address the severe organ shortage.  We need to keep people alive longer since they're paying less in taxes.....  <smirk>   Not to mention people who died because they wore a seat belt, e.g., drowning helicopter.  Sounds like a new liberal death tax, especially on the poor, so the answer is, "No!".  I've supported this for years, though I do appreciate your Libertarian views on this.  Just a difference in opinion.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 81

@aruzinskywrote:

@alferdpackerwrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

Federal seat belt laws require manufacturers to install seat belts in motor vehicles.  No federal law requires drivers to use them.  Giving drivers the choice to use them is libertarian.  Every state except New Hampshire has a law that requires drivers to use seat belts, which is anti-libertarian.

No state seatbelt law has been successfully overturned using libertarian arguments - and probably never will be overturned with libertarian arguments...

Shouldn't persons not wearing seatbelts and motorcyclists not wearing helmets automatically become organ donors if killed in an accident?

What does committing suicide, by choice or stupidity, have to do with involuntary organ donation?  Not to mention people who died because they wore a seat belt, e.g., drowning helicopter.  Sounds like a new liberal death tax, especially on the poor, so the answer is, "No!".  

Thank you sincerely for the revealing response.

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 81

@alferdpackerwrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

At least, there is a war of libertarian ideologies within the Republican party.  I am unaware of any such war within the Democratic party.  I suspect that any hope of repealing state seat belt laws depends on Republicans.

What does committing suicide, by choice or stupidity, have to do with involuntary organ donation?  Not to mention people who died because they wore a seat belt, e.g., drowning helicopter.  Sounds like a new liberal death tax, especially on the poor, so the answer is, "No!".  

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 81

“Christopher Hickman’s actions violated the Asheville Police Department’s vision that all people are treated with dignity and respect. These actions have damaged the progress that the Asheville Police Department has made in the last several years in improving community trust.”

I wish all police departments had this vision.  TemperMental has seemed to work with several PD's that exemplify this vision in their hiring practices, as have family members of several other posters posting here.

It sure seems like a reasonable vision, don't you think?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 81

@alferdpackerwrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

Yes, I would agree.  As well as those put to death by the state.   

Kudos
Views