Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Jaywalking Sentence - Being Choked to Near Death

Message 11 of 81

@aruzinskywrote:

@alferdpackerwrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

https://www.lawserver.com/law/state/north-carolina/nc-laws/north_carolina_laws_20-174

It depends upon where the pedestrian was crossing:

North Carolina General Statutes 20-174. Crossing at other than crosswalks; walking along highway

(a)        Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

(b)        Any pedestrian crossing a roadway at a point where a pedestrian tunnel or overhead pedestrian crossing has been provided shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

(c)        Between adjacent intersections at which traffic-control signals are in operation pedestrians shall not cross at any place except in a marked crosswalk.

First, I want to alert you that I am no longer using the kudos button because it and the crybaby button are part of an immoral mind control scheme.  But, rest assured, I support you in spirit.

As I mentioned elsewhere, city police have no obligation to enforce state law.  As for this state law, only part (c) is jaywalking. Interestingly, there is no requirement that vehicles be present.  I wonder whether there were vehicles present.

Where I live, drivers often needlessly block crosswalks with their cars, as though they will get to their destinations sooner.   Also, crosswalks are often blocked by deep rain puddles or plowed snow .  Of course, these things force pedestrians to jaywalk therefore laws against jaywalking are stupid. 

About ten years ago, I was riding with a friend after a day of driving Pearl Pass, a 4wd road above Aspen. 

We were driving through Aspen on a nice summer afternoon when one of the typical extremely rich and arrogant who don't even look when they jaywalk, stepped in front of us. 

We had been four wheeling in a restored ex military Dodge 3/4 ton WC Power Wagon that had legal truck air horns installed.

We managed to slide to a stop without hitting the man and my friend uttered a profanity while honking the air horns.

The air horns startled the man, and he fell, breaking his right upper femur at the hip joint.

He sued, saying the horns were excessively loud and caused his injury - suit dismissed - his injury was incurred while committing an unlawful act, (his insurance declined to pay).

The horns were common legal truck air horns.

However - no police officer unnecessarily used excessive violence - did he?

"We managed to slide to a stop without hitting the man and my friend uttered a profanity while honking the air horns."

Sounds like you said that he honked after the vehicle stopped.  If true, the plaintiff must have had a bad lawyer because it is illegal to use a horn while the vehicle is stationary.  This is explicitly stated in some places, e.g., Chicago and the UK, but, in Colorado, it is implicitly stated, "The driver of a motor vehicle, when reasonably necessary to ensure safe operation, shall give audible warning with the horn but shall not otherwise use such horn when upon a highway."

Wrong.  

The horns sounded before the truck came to a stop - I was there - and you were not.

"Interesting" demonstration of reading comprehension that might well have been influenced by political bias/bigotry...

What do you empirically know of the braking performance of an ex-military 3/4 ton Dodge WC Truck with staggered bar tread design tires?

The amount of surface area of tire rubber contacting the pavement in proportion to vehicle weight/mass is less than half that of the average car on the road today...

Multiply that by the inadequacy 1940's era drum brake performance...

Add to that the fact that the traction coefficient of the rubber used in military style staggered bar tread is far less than that of the average passenger car tire today...

Add to that the fact that coeficient of friction of a sliding/skidding tire is considerably less than that of a rolling tire (yep - that's why ABS works so well, and insurance rates are lower for ABS equipped vehicles)...

It all adds up to decidedly unimpressive braking performance...

Bet you never considered that the combination of those would add up to the fact that the 3/4 ton truck braking from an initial speed of 25 mph on dry pavement, travelled between two and three times the distance - while braking - at a much more moderate rate of deceleration - compared to the time/distance that this century's average car would have travelled before coming to a stop...  

Oh yes - it does negotiate with relative ease the kind of high altitude terrain that the majority of highway legal modern 4wd vehicles have considerably more trouble negotiating - which is, of course, the reason it was restored and modified specifically for difficult mountain 4wd roads...

44>dolt45
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 81

@alferdpackerwrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

https://www.lawserver.com/law/state/north-carolina/nc-laws/north_carolina_laws_20-174

North Carolina General Statutes 20-174. Crossing at other than crosswalks; walking along highway

(a)        Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

(b)        Any pedestrian crossing a roadway at a point where a pedestrian tunnel or overhead pedestrian crossing has been provided shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

(c)        Between adjacent intersections at which traffic-control signals are in operation pedestrians shall not cross at any place except in a marked crosswalk.

First, I want to alert you that I am no longer using the kudos button because it and the crybaby button are part of an immoral mind control scheme.  But, rest assured, I support you in spirit.

As I mentioned elsewhere, city police have no obligation to enforce state law.  As for this state law, only part (c) is jaywalking. Interestingly, there is no requirement that vehicles be present.  I wonder whether there were vehicles present.

Where I live, drivers often needlessly block crosswalks with their cars, as though they will get to their destinations sooner.   Also, crosswalks are often blocked by deep rain puddles or plowed snow .  Of course, these things force pedestrians to jaywalk therefore laws against jaywalking are stupid. 

About ten years ago, I was riding with a friend after a day of driving Pearl Pass, a 4wd road above Aspen. 

We were driving through Aspen on a nice summer afternoon when one of the typical extremely rich and arrogant who don't even look when they jaywalk, stepped in front of us. 

We had been four wleeling in a restored ex military Dodge 3/4 ton WC Power Wagon that had legal truck air horns installed.

We managed to slide to a stop without hitting the man and my friend uttered a profanity while honking the air horns.

The air horns startled the man, and he fell, breaking his right upper femur at the hip joint.

He sued, saying the horns were excessively loud and caused his injury - suit dismissed - his injury was incurred while committing an unlawful act, (his insurance declined to pay).

"We managed to slide to a stop without hitting the man and my friend uttered a profanity while honking the air horns."

Sounds like you said that he honked after the vehicle stopped.  If true, the plaintiff must have had a bad lawyer because it is illegal to use a horn while the vehicle is stationary.  This is explicitly stated in some places, e.g., Chicago and the UK, but, in Colorado, it is implicitly stated, "The driver of a motor vehicle, when reasonably necessary to ensure safe operation, shall give audible warning with the horn but shall not otherwise use such horn when upon a highway."

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 81

@aruzinskywrote:

@Centristsin2010wrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

And, as I said before, the current Democrat mayor is responsible for enforcing it.

What does that have to do with your claim that Democrats created jaywalking laws across the country?  THAT was the question posed....

btw, NC is involved in the "Watch for Me NC Program" aimed at targeting pedestrians and bicyclists.  Sure doesn't sound to me like a Democratic program.  It was started in 2012 when BOTH houses of the NC State Legislature were controlled by Republicans.

Facts matter, Aruze....

I didn't claim that Democrats created jaywalking laws across the country.  I implied that anti-liberarians did.  

Really?   On  04-03-2018 10:30 AM you posted:

Thus, it is mostly the Democrats who want to save individuals from themselves with laws against jaywalking, mandatory seat belts, etc..

To point out the obvious, this death (reminder, there was no death) wouldn't have happened had there been no law against jaywalking.  Thus, anti-libertarian lawmakers, mostly Democrats, are to blame.  Precious, eh?

Really.  Anti-libertarian lawmakers, mostly Democrats, are to blame.  Well, that's your unsubstantiated opinion.  Some jaywalking laws are from Republicans, more jaywalking laws are from Democrats and all jaywalking laws are from anti-libertarians.  So you assert without any facts, but everyone has an opinion.  You do know many Libertarians are Democrats don't you?  And, thank you repeatedly complimenting me as a political bigot.  It's my pleasure.

In the post where you pretended to be a woman, which was never.....you falsely accused me of incorrectly concluding that a city jaywalking law was at fault, Say what?  No need to lie now, Aruze.  I never suggested anything such.  You are sure full of your presumptions.....when it was, in fact, a state law. It's both.   I took you at your word that it was a city law that was "tweeked" from the state law.  That it is.... Besides, city police have no legal obligation to enforce state laws.  No one suggested otherwise.  Funny how another Republican is unable to accept fault for his own screw-ups and must blame others.  Seems to be a flaw in the (R).

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 81

@aruzinskywrote:

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

We had been four wheeling in a restored ex military Dodge 3/4 ton WC Power Wagon that had legal truck air horns installed.

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 81

@aruzinskywrote:

I also believe kudos is useless and have evolved here for the Amen Corner to give each other attaboys.  They serve no useful purpose.

We have very few crosswalks in our area, and it wouldn't matter since locations are so spread out that we mostly drive to our destinations.  There are crosswalks on major highways but very few care about observing them.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 81

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 81

@Centristsin2010wrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

And, as I said before, the current Democrat mayor is responsible for enforcing it.

What does that have to do with your claim that Democrats created jaywalking laws across the country?  THAT was the question posed....

btw, NC is involved in the "Watch for Me NC Program" aimed at targeting pedestrians and bicyclists.  Sure doesn't sound to me like a Democratic program.  It was started in 2012 when BOTH houses of the NC State Legislature were controlled by Republicans.

Facts matter, Aruze....

I didn't claim that Democrats created jaywalking laws across the country.  I implied that anti-liberarians did.  

Really?   On  04-03-2018 10:30 AM you posted:

Thus, it is mostly the Democrats who want to save individuals from themselves with laws against jaywalking, mandatory seat belts, etc..

To point out the obvious, this death (reminder, there was no death) wouldn't have happened had there been no law against jaywalking.  Thus, anti-libertarian lawmakers, mostly Democrats, are to blame.  Precious, eh?

Really.  Anti-libertarian lawmakers, mostly Democrats, are to blame.  Some jaywalking laws are from Republicans, more jaywalking laws are from Democrats and all jaywalking laws are from anti-libertarians.  And, thank you repeatedly complimenting me as a political bigot. 

In the post where you pretended to be a woman, you falsely accused me of incorrectly concluding that a city jaywalking law was at fault, when it was, in fact, a state law.  I took you at your word that it was a city law that was "tweeked" from the state law.  Besides, city police have no legal obligation to enforce state laws. 

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 81

@rk9152wrote:

@Centristsin2010wrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@Centristsin2010wrote:

Do you have anything intelligent to say about the libertarian aspects of this case?  No, because YOU didn't.  Your faux rant ignored Reagan's part in demanding seat belt laws.  He was such a flaming Lib, ya know?

Image result for judy gif

Federal seat belt laws require manufacturers to install seat belts in motor vehicles.  No federal law requires drivers to use them.  Reagan said federal highway funds would be pulled if states didn't mandate seat belts.

And, Judge Judy, Obama threatened to take funds from locals not allowing little boys to shower with little boys while Trump has threatened the funds of those not in cooperation with federal immigration law. Sorta points out the priorities of the (Ds) vs the (Rs).

OMG, someone pointed out a fact about Reagan so one attempts to attack Obama and praise trump.  LOL!  Hilarious.....

Meanwhile, the fascist in chief tried to organize a boycott against the NFL because low and behold, someone protested peacefully and with respect.  The extreme-right-wing Klan is so pathetic.....

Image result for judge judy gifs

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 81

@Centristsin2010wrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@Centristsin2010wrote:

Do you have anything intelligent to say about the libertarian aspects of this case?  No, because YOU didn't.  Your faux rant ignored Reagan's part in demanding seat belt laws.  He was such a flaming Lib, ya know?

Image result for judy gif

Federal seat belt laws require manufacturers to install seat belts in motor vehicles.  No federal law requires drivers to use them.  Reagan said federal highway funds would be pulled if states didn't mandate seat belts.

And, Judge Judy, Obama threatened to take funds from locals not allowing little boys to shower with little boys while Trump has threatened the funds of those not in cooperation with federal immigration law. Sorta points out the priorities of the (Ds) vs the (Rs).

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 81

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

Yes, it always does....

Kudos
Views