Tell Congress to stop Rx greed and cut prescription drug prices now! Here’s how.

Kudos
Views

Re: Jaywalking Sentence - Being Choked to Near Death

Message 1 of 81

Thanks everyone for your contributions, this thread is now locked

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 81

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

I also believe kudos is useless and have evolved here for the Amen Corner to give each other attaboys.  They serve no useful purpose. Oh yes ..... it was a conspiracy theory perpetrated by AARP, dontcha' know !

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 81

@alferdpackerwrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@alferdpackerwrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@alferdpackerwrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@alferdpackerwrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@alferdpackerwrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

https://www.lawserver.com/law/state/north-carolina/nc-laws/north_carolina_laws_20-174

It depends upon where the pedestrian was crossing:

North Carolina General Statutes 20-174. Crossing at other than crosswalks; walking along highway

(a)        Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

(b)        Any pedestrian crossing a roadway at a point where a pedestrian tunnel or overhead pedestrian crossing has been provided shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

(c)        Between adjacent intersections at which traffic-control signals are in operation pedestrians shall not cross at any place except in a marked crosswalk.

First, I want to alert you that I am no longer using the kudos button because it and the crybaby button are part of an immoral mind control scheme.  But, rest assured, I support you in spirit.

As I mentioned elsewhere, city police have no obligation to enforce state law.  As for this state law, only part (c) is jaywalking. Interestingly, there is no requirement that vehicles be present.  I wonder whether there were vehicles present.

Where I live, drivers often needlessly block crosswalks with their cars, as though they will get to their destinations sooner.   Also, crosswalks are often blocked by deep rain puddles or plowed snow .  Of course, these things force pedestrians to jaywalk therefore laws against jaywalking are stupid. 

About ten years ago, I was riding with a friend after a day of driving Pearl Pass, a 4wd road above Aspen. 

We were driving through Aspen on a nice summer afternoon when one of the typical extremely rich and arrogant who don't even look when they jaywalk, stepped in front of us. 

We had been four wheeling in a restored ex military Dodge 3/4 ton WC Power Wagon that had legal truck air horns installed.

We managed to slide to a stop without hitting the man and my friend uttered a profanity while honking the air horns.

The air horns startled the man, and he fell, breaking his right upper femur at the hip joint.

He sued, saying the horns were excessively loud and caused his injury - suit dismissed - his injury was incurred while committing an unlawful act, (his insurance declined to pay).

The horns were common legal truck air horns.

However - no police officer unnecessarily used excessive violence - did he?

"We managed to slide to a stop without hitting the man and my friend uttered a profanity while honking the air horns."

Sounds like you said that he honked after the vehicle stopped.  If true, the plaintiff must have had a bad lawyer because it is illegal to use a horn while the vehicle is stationary.  This is explicitly stated in some places, e.g., Chicago and the UK, but, in Colorado, it is implicitly stated, "The driver of a motor vehicle, when reasonably necessary to ensure safe operation, shall give audible warning with the horn but shall not otherwise use such horn when upon a highway."

Wrong.  

The horns sounded before the truck came to a stop - I was there - and you were not.

"Interesting" demonstration of reading comprehension that might well have been influenced by political bias/bigotry...

What do you empirically know of the braking performance of an ex-military 3/4 ton Dodge WC Truck with staggered bar tread design tires?

The amount of surface area of tire rubber contacting the pavement in proportion to vehicle weight/mass is less than half that of the average car on the road today...

Multiply that by the inadequacy 1940's era drum brake performance...

Add to that the fact that the traction coefficient of the rubber used in military style staggered bar tread is far less than that of the average passenger car tire today...

Add to that the fact that coeficient of friction of a sliding/skidding tire is considerably less than that of a rolling tire (yep - that's why ABS works so well, and insurance rates are lower for ABS equipped vehicles)...

It all adds up to decidedly unimpressive braking performance...

Bet you never considered that the combination of those would add up to the fact that the 3/4 ton truck braking from an initial speed of 25 mph on dry pavement, travelled between two and three times the distance - while braking - at a much more moderate rate of deceleration - compared to the time/distance that this century's average car would have travelled before coming to a stop...  

Oh yes - it does negotiate with relative ease the kind of high altitude terrain that the majority of highway legal modern 4wd vehicles have considerably more trouble negotiating - which is, of course, the reason it was restored and modified specifically for difficult mountain 4wd roads...

Nonsense. An articulate person would have said, "We managed to slide to a stop, without hitting the man, while my friend uttered a profanity and honked the air horns."  And, an articulate person wouldn't obfuscate the few relevancies with so many irrelevancies, e.g., "1940's era drum brake performance".  And, you failed to cite the specific jaywalking law that applied.  Were there nearby crosswalks that he could have used?  Otherwise, it was most likely not jaywalking, but, failing to yield the right of way to motor vehicles. 

Not necessary to cite the specific law - after investigating, the officer, whom I had known for well over a decade (it's like that in small mountain towns), told me he would be cited for jaywalking in the hospital after he was stabilized - ultimately, he was found guilty of jaywalking, his appeal was denied, and his suit aginst my friend was thrown out of court.  

The content of your post appears to be an evasion of the fact that I brought up empirically verified realities that you are not necessarily conversant with.

Thanks for the verification...

"he would be cited for jaywalking in the hospital "

He jaywalked in a hospital?  An articulate person would have said, "he would be cited in the hospital for jaywalking"

"you are not necessarily conversant with."

An articulate person does not end a sentence with a preposition.

For someone so verbose that the weight of their left brain hemosphere must make them walk in counterclockwise circles, Wow!

Yep - I was right - has nothing to do with diddling electrons - bsing to try to cover...

Nope, you were wrong. It has everything to do with the diddling electrons that are part of the misfiring electro-chemical signals in your brain.

http://www.human-memory.net/brain_neurons.html

Furthermore, authoring and refereeing papers in peer reviewed electrical engineering journals requires terse writing skills because publication space is in very high demand.  I have that skill.  I dare say that you could not author a paper in such a journal even, if offered a billion dollars to do so.  

Nope never did.

I did come up with 22 ideas that were patented.

Licensed rights to vehicle manufacturers.

Won two suits for patent infringement.

Licensed it gratis to their competitors - a spanking...

I paid someone who couldn't do what I did to write patent descriptions.

My skill set is in designing and machining functioning prototypes, some of which end up having patents granted - that and being able to redesign/modify existing machines to perform a task they were not originally designed to perform.

BTW - designing and creating a working prototype is not necessary to be recognized by the Patent Office as a first description of an idea that could be patented.  

A well known science fiction author who was an Annapolis Graduate and Naval Officer was credited with the first patentable description of the water bed.

Go bite a duck...

1. Patents do not require terse writing skills because there is unlimited publication space.

2. Most patents don't work.

3. Many patents that work are obvious ideas, e.g., using a laser pointer to exercise a cat.

3. Many patented ideas are unoriginal because it is impossible to review all preexisting literature.  And, the patent office has no procedure whereby a casual observer, without financial interest, can alert the patent office that a patented idea is unoriginal because it costs money to tell them.  For example, if the patented idea was previously in my Thesis (public domain), I would have to pay the patent office to tell them.  They should pay me to tell them.

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 81

@aruzinskywrote:

@alferdpackerwrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@alferdpackerwrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@alferdpackerwrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@alferdpackerwrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

https://www.lawserver.com/law/state/north-carolina/nc-laws/north_carolina_laws_20-174

North Carolina General Statutes 20-174. Crossing at other than crosswalks; walking along highway

(a)        Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

(b)        Any pedestrian crossing a roadway at a point where a pedestrian tunnel or overhead pedestrian crossing has been provided shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

(c)        Between adjacent intersections at which traffic-control signals are in operation pedestrians shall not cross at any place except in a marked crosswalk.

First, I want to alert you that I am no longer using the kudos button because it and the crybaby button are part of an immoral mind control scheme.  But, rest assured, I support you in spirit.

As I mentioned elsewhere, city police have no obligation to enforce state law.  As for this state law, only part (c) is jaywalking. Interestingly, there is no requirement that vehicles be present.  I wonder whether there were vehicles present.

Where I live, drivers often needlessly block crosswalks with their cars, as though they will get to their destinations sooner.   Also, crosswalks are often blocked by deep rain puddles or plowed snow .  Of course, these things force pedestrians to jaywalk therefore laws against jaywalking are stupid. 

About ten years ago, I was riding with a friend after a day of driving Pearl Pass, a 4wd road above Aspen. 

We were driving through Aspen on a nice summer afternoon when one of the typical extremely rich and arrogant who don't even look when they jaywalk, stepped in front of us. 

We had been four wheeling in a restored ex military Dodge 3/4 ton WC Power Wagon that had legal truck air horns installed.

We managed to slide to a stop without hitting the man and my friend uttered a profanity while honking the air horns.

The air horns startled the man, and he fell, breaking his right upper femur at the hip joint.

He sued, saying the horns were excessively loud and caused his injury - suit dismissed - his injury was incurred while committing an unlawful act, (his insurance declined to pay).

"We managed to slide to a stop without hitting the man and my friend uttered a profanity while honking the air horns."

Sounds like you said that he honked after the vehicle stopped.  If true, the plaintiff must have had a bad lawyer because it is illegal to use a horn while the vehicle is stationary.  This is explicitly stated in some places, e.g., Chicago and the UK, but, in Colorado, it is implicitly stated, "The driver of a motor vehicle, when reasonably necessary to ensure safe operation, shall give audible warning with the horn but shall not otherwise use such horn when upon a highway."

Wrong.  

The horns sounded before the truck came to a stop - I was there - and you were not.

"Interesting" demonstration of reading comprehension that might well have been influenced by political bias/bigotry...

What do you empirically know of the braking performance of an ex-military 3/4 ton Dodge WC Truck with staggered bar tread design tires?

The amount of surface area of tire rubber contacting the pavement in proportion to vehicle weight/mass is less than half that of the average car on the road today...

Add to that the fact that the traction coefficient of the rubber used in military style staggered bar tread is far less than that of the average passenger car tire today...

Add to that the fact that coeficient of friction of a sliding/skidding tire is considerably less than that of a rolling tire (yep - that's why ABS works so well, and insurance rates are lower for ABS equipped vehicles)...

Bet you never considered that the combination of those would add up to the fact that the 3/4 ton truck braking from an initial speed of 25 mph on dry pavement, travelled between two and three times the distance - while braking - at a much more moderate rate of deceleration - compared to the time/distance that this century's average car would have travelled before coming to a stop...  

Oh yes - it does negotiate with relative ease the kind of high altitude terrain that the majority of highway legal modern 4wd vehicles have considerably more trouble negotiating - which is, of course, the reason it was restored and modified specifically for difficult mountain 4wd roads...

Nonsense. An articulate person would have said, "We managed to slide to a stop, without hitting the man, while my friend uttered a profanity and honked the air horns."  And, an articulate person wouldn't obfuscate the few relevancies with so many irrelevancies, e.g., "1940's era drum brake performance".  And, you failed to cite the specific jaywalking law that applied.  Were there nearby crosswalks that he could have used?  Otherwise, it was most likely not jaywalking, but, failing to yield the right of way to motor vehicles. 

Not necessary to cite the specific law - after investigating, the officer, whom I had known for well over a decade (it's like that in small mountain towns), told me he would be cited for jaywalking in the hospital after he was stabilized - ultimately, he was found guilty of jaywalking, his appeal was denied, and his suit aginst my friend was thrown out of court.  

The content of your post appears to be an evasion of the fact that I brought up empirically verified realities that you are not necessarily conversant with.

He jaywalked in a hospital?  An articulate person would have said, "he would be cited in the hospital for jaywalking"

For someone so verbose that the weight of their left brain hemosphere must make them walk in counterclockwise circles, Wow!

Yep - I was right - has nothing to do with diddling electrons - bsing to try to cover...

Nope, you were wrong. It has everything to do with the diddling electrons that are part of the misfiring electro-chemical signals in your brain.

Furthermore, authoring and refereeing papers in peer reviewed electrical engineering journals requires terse writing skills because publication space is in very high demand.  I have that skill.  I dare say that you could not author a paper in such a journal even, if offered a billion dollars to do so.  

Nope never did.

I did come up with 22 ideas that were patented.

Licensed rights to vehicle manufacturers.

Won two suits for patent infringement.

Licensed it gratis to their competitors - a spanking...

I paid someone who couldn't do what I did to write patent descriptions.

My skill set is in designing and machining functioning prototypes, some of which end up having patents granted - that and being able to redesign/modify existing machines to perform a task they were not originally designed to perform.

BTW - designing and creating a working prototype is not necessary to be recognized by the Patent Office as a first description of an idea that could be patented.  

A well known science fiction author who was an Annapolis Graduate and Naval Officer was credited with the first patentable description of the water bed.

Go bite a duck...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 81

@alferdpackerwrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@alferdpackerwrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@alferdpackerwrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@alferdpackerwrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

Wrong.  

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 81

@aruzinskywrote:

@alferdpackerwrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@alferdpackerwrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@alferdpackerwrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

Wrong.  

Ahh - so you failed to read and comprehend the entire sentence...

That's antiquated and out-of-date crackpottery.

For someone so verbose that the weight of their left brain hemosphere(sic) must make them walk in counterclockwise circles, Wow!

Yep - I was right - has nothing to do with diddling electrons - "bsing" to try to cover for being in a field in which one has little if any experience/knowledge...

Lord what fools these trump supporters be.

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 81

@alferdpackerwrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@alferdpackerwrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@alferdpackerwrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

Wrong.  

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 81

@aruzinskywrote:

@alferdpackerwrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@alferdpackerwrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

Wrong.  

Not necessary to cite the specific law - after investigating, the officer, whom I had known for well over a decade (it's like that in small mountain towns), told us he would be cited for jaywalking in the hospital after he was stabilized - ultimately, he was found guilty of jaywalking, his appeal was denied, and his suit aginst my friend was thrown out of court.  

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 81

@alferdpackerwrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@alferdpackerwrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

Wrong.  

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 81

@Centristsin2010wrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@Centristsin2010wrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

And, as I said before, the current Democrat mayor is responsible for enforcing it.

What does that have to do with your claim that Democrats created jaywalking laws across the country?  THAT was the question posed....

btw, NC is involved in the "Watch for Me NC Program" aimed at targeting pedestrians and bicyclists.  Sure doesn't sound to me like a Democratic program.  It was started in 2012 when BOTH houses of the NC State Legislature were controlled by Republicans.

Facts matter, Aruze....

I didn't claim that Democrats created jaywalking laws across the country.  I implied that anti-liberarians did.  

Really?   On  04-03-2018 10:30 AM you posted:

Thus, it is mostly the Democrats who want to save individuals from themselves with laws against jaywalking, mandatory seat belts, etc..

To point out the obvious, this death (reminder, there was no death) wouldn't have happened had there been no law against jaywalking.  Thus, anti-libertarian lawmakers, mostly Democrats, are to blame.  Precious, eh?

Really.  Anti-libertarian lawmakers, mostly Democrats, are to blame.  Well, that's your unsubstantiated opinion.  Some jaywalking laws are from Republicans, more jaywalking laws are from Democrats and all jaywalking laws are from anti-libertarians.  So you assert without any facts, but everyone has an opinion.  You do know many Libertarians are Democrats don't you?  And, thank you repeatedly complimenting me as a political bigot.  It's my pleasure.

In the post where you pretended to be a woman, which was never.....you falsely accused me of incorrectly concluding that a city jaywalking law was at fault, Say what?  No need to lie now, Aruze.  I never suggested anything such.  You are sure full of your presumptions.....when it was, in fact, a state law. It's both.   I took you at your word that it was a city law that was "tweeked" from the state law.  That it is.... Besides, city police have no legal obligation to enforce state laws.  No one suggested otherwise.  Funny how another Republican is unable to accept fault for his own screw-ups and must blame others.  Seems to be a flaw in the (R).

It can't be "both."  Either a city policeman charged him with violating a city law or a state trooper charged him with violating a state law.

Old Witch
Kudos
Views