Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: JUDGE FORMALLY REPRIMANDED

Message 1 of 30

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

Have a good day Alferd.

No thank you - I decline your invitation...

44>dolt45
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 30

@alferdpacker wrote:

Can't meet the challenge?

Or won't meet the challenge?

Let's see the proof of how each state's legal system works...

You want the information then go for it.  I've already done the research and posted what I found on Colorado government sites. 

Have a good day Alferd.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 30

What?

Can't meet the challenge?

Or won't meet the challenge?

Let's see the proof of how each state's legal system works...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 30

@alferdpacker wrote:

Post pertinent documentation proving that is not the case with Texas - that Texas  courts and judges are absolutely and totally independent in all cases of ANY state judicial oversight whatsoever...

Then post exactly the same level and degree of detail of pertinent documentation regarding Colorado...

From your past posts you appear to be the legal scholar, and since you want the information, why don't you post it?  And you are the one who started this because you thought the County Judge in Texas was a judicial officer and not an administrative position.

And of course we have within the county: state or district courts, county courts, Justice of Peace courts and municipal courts...each handling applicable laws.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 30

Post pertinent documentation proving that is not the case with Texas - that Texas  courts and judges are absolutely and totally independent in all cases of ANY state judicial oversight whatsoever...

Then post exactly the same level and degree of detail of pertinent documentation regarding Colorado...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 30

@alferdpacker wrote:

Colorado towns, cities and counties have their own courts

And not as part of state judicial districts?  And those courts are not administered by the Chief Justice of the Colorado Supreme Court through judicial districts?  Additionally doesn't your county only have those powers as granted by the state assembly?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 30

@pc6063 wrote:

Nerdymom and AP-- yup, our little town judges are elected and they do not have to have any type of legal degree or training. They just have to learn the laws. I worked for two years with a town judge. and I asked him how he went about  becoming a judge after I found out he had never been to law school  He ran, was elected, studied from whatever was given to him,  Been on the town court bench for years--usually traffic, DUI, public lewdness, etc.

Hey, welcome to my world!!

Haven't been in NY since '99 when we rode the Adirondacks and Appalachians one fall on our way down to our ultimate goal - riding the Tail of the Dragon and other assorted roads made famous by moonshiners during prohibition...

Good ride - different colors...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 30

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

I understand that in Colorado the counties are considered to be a subdivision of state government existing to administer state programs at a local level.  As a subdivison of the state government, they have no court system of their own.

You understand wrong - dead wrong.

Colorado towns, cities and counties have their own courts, law enforcement agencies, and legislative bodies that enact, administer, and enforce laws unique to the locality.

eg - laws for county roads restricting mineral exploration equipment of a certain size and larger to only being permitted to travel on certain roads and establishing lower speed limits for heavy equipment etc etc... those objecting to those limitations are free to use state roads and travel far longer distances and ultimately take more time to get to a work site...

Of course, local and county laws, as well as actions of local agencies must always comply with the US constitution and the state constitution - but that's true everywhere... even in Texas - where we regularly see various laws and actions being blocked because they have been found to be unconstitutional.

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 30

@NerdyMom wrote:

Ooooh, so it's like a Council-Manager type of local government, and the judge is the manager?  

Oh, I just found this.  He seems to do some civil cases, too.  Better than any criminal work, IMO, but still it's a little scary to not have any legal background...

http://www.burnetcountytexas.org/default.aspx?name=countyjudge

--

Looking at your link, it apparently applies to Georgetown, Tx.  Not sure if one could say it applied to country governments.  Under the county system here in Texas, the precinct commissioners are responsible for county management in their precincts such as road maintenance and other such county functions.  Road maintenance and maintenance of county parks are their main responsibility, plus emergency response when required. 

Judicial affairs for the precincts are handled by Justices of the Peace.  I believe there are two per precincts.  These are required to begin meeting state standards after their election.  Of course there are also constables who serve warrants, etc.  They are also required to become qualified.  Unlike the one example given of a town judge, all including municipal judges are required to become qualified and attend qualification sessions during their terms.

I would say that the County Judge/Commissioner relationship is more like executive/department heads.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 30

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@NerdyMom wrote:

OK.  I'm stunned.   There are places where people can be JUDGES and not be lawyers first?  

--

Perhaps an understanding of what the County Judge is in Texas....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_of_Texas#County

Each county is run by a five-member Commissioners' Court consisting of four commissioners elected from single-member districts (called commissioner precincts) and a county judge elected at-large. The county judge does not have authority to veto a decision of the commissioners court; the judge votes along with the commissioners (being the tie-breaker in close calls). In smaller counties, the county judge actually does perform judicial duties, but in larger counties the judge's role is limited to serving on the commissioners court and certifying elections.

Looking at Burnet County's population, there is no way to determine whether the County Judge has judicial responsibilities also.  In our county, like most in Texas, his duties is completely administrative. 

And different states have different governmental organization...I probably would find the set-up in Colorado, or other states as strange..

Ooooh, so it's like a Council-Manager type of local government, and the judge is the manager?  

Oh, I just found this.  He seems to do some civil cases, too.  Better than any criminal work, IMO, but still it's a little scary to not have any legal background...

http://www.burnetcountytexas.org/default.aspx?name=countyjudge

Kudos
Views