Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

It Was a "Whites Only" Gas Station.....

After 60 Years, Girl's Experience At Whites-Only Gas Station Still Hurts

 

Francine Anderson grew up in a small town in Virginia in the 1950s. As a young black girl, she knew all too well about racism in the Jim Crow South — but it wasn't until one night, driving back home from her grandmother's house, that she truly understood the danger she faced because of the color of her skin.

 

"There's a road that was long and dark, and my father did what no black man at the time was supposed to do — allowed his car to run out of gas," Anderson, now 65, says. "He ended up pushing the car, and the only place he could get to was a white truck stop with the 'White Only' signs up."

 

When they got to the truck stop, Anderson says that despite the signs, her father went up and knocked on the door.

 

"A guy came up, he said, 'What are you doing, <n-word>? Get away from here — can't you read?'

 

And my dad, he took his hat and held it in his hand trying to make himself small, 'cause he was kind of a tall man," Anderson says. "He said to the guy, umm, 'I see your sign, sir. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to disturb you or your business. I just got my young kids in the car. Could I just buy a couple of gallons of gas?' "

 

Anderson says the guy responded, " 'I don't deal with your kind,' and he stepped back and he slammed the door."

 

Her father then turned and walked back to the car — and Anderson says that, in that moment, she knew he was afraid.

 

"He got in the car and I can remember asking him questions: 'Why can't we go? Why won't he give us any gas?' And he wasn't answering," she says. "It occurred to me as a little kid, 'we're in real trouble.' "

 

But then the door to the gas station opened and another man came out. Immediately, her father stiffened up.

 

Anderson says, "This guy got to the passenger window and said, 'I don't know what's wrong with that guy. I'm going to go get you some gas, OK?' " Anderson says. "I remember my dad was real grateful and saying, 'Let me give you these few dollars,' and the guy would say, 'No, no, it's OK.' "

 

In that moment, Anderson says she felt ashamed for her dad.

 

"Not because he'd done anything wrong, but because I felt like he had been made smaller in my eyes as a child," she says.

 

Whenever she talks to people about this story today, Anderson says she get mixed responses.

 

"If I talk to whites about that story, they focus on the man and how kind he was," Anderson says.

 

"And he was kind, but at the same time when I talk to blacks about that story they're more focused on the fact that it wasn't illegal for him to deny us gas."

 

She says that was the law of the land at the time.

 

"Had my dad been defiant, that's a risk ... you could be killed speaking up for yourself," Anderson says. "It's the first time that I realized that there was real danger there. I was 5 years old."

 

After 60 Years, Girl's Experience At Whites-Only Gas Station Still Hurts


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

"nc", you'll also note that you'll never see the words "equality" in either of their posts.  Coincidence?  Hardly.

 

Their central argument is "quit talking about racism; isn't Joe Arpaio a hero"? 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
369 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:


Of course some have lived in a pollyanna world where everything is perfect.  It is pathetic listening to their perfect little world.  You're in LaLa Land because I doubt anyone here lives in "a perfect world".  Though I do see posters who don't think they've experienced everything and no everything and don't attack others in every post.  These are the enjoyable posters here.

 

You have no idea of others' lives, nor, have I suggested such.  but you judge others by your perhaps privileged life.  I respond to their posts....and don't judge others, but I appreciate your concern.  Several years ago we exchanged posts with a more civil tone that indicates that.  Maybe that was before you made your leap to embracing the "me first" party.  Posts here reveal much about a person's background.  Said a poster who attacks others for "judging" others.  You just-can't-make-this-stuff-up.


 


I don't pretend to live in ''lala land" and apparently have had a full life for many decades.  I would venture that I've experienced more in life than some.  I believe that your posts speak for themselves as far as you saying you don't judge others.  And of course you enjoy those who is kumbaya with your posts.  And as far as judging others, that is evident by your posts. 

 

And in those civil posts we did exchange in the past, one could gather much from not only what was posted but by the tone of them.  And they reflected your 'me first' attitude along with subsequent posts.  There was no need to make stuff out of them as the posts revealed a lot.

 

As a final word, I have probably spent more time with minorities as a friend, visiting in their homes where some might have done so as having them as a caddy on the golf course or as a worker around the house. 

 

So, you continue to make this about me, or is it about you, instead of the topic? 

 

LMAO!  The last line speaks for itself.  Obviously, someone prefers to judge others and make an entire post about himself, will attacking the other.  I think your right, Tex.  Ya can tell a lot someone by what they post.  Thanks for the awesome demonstration.


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

 

LMAO!  The last line speaks for itself.  Obviously, someone prefers to judge others and make an entire post about himself, will attacking the other.  I think your right, Tex.  Ya can tell a lot someone by what they post.  Thanks for the awesome demonstration.



 



So long, your public is waiting.

0 Kudos
423 Views
4
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:



 



So long, your public is waiting.Tx  

I applaud you, you have demonstrated to have more sense than perhaps I have had.

The poster cannot for whatever the reason simply let go. Apparently there needs to be the absolute proof that the poster is all knowledgeable.
He needs to ridicule posters that apparently he doesn't like and constantly needle them into useless discussions.
At least RK only asks never ending questions.LOL
Crediblity of posters is somewhat important in this message board, we all come here with different opinions but we certainly don't come here to be bullied and intimidated by others.
I sincerely believe that many readers have caught on, and they will act accordingly 
Will see. will see you all next week, but I am going to prophesize that the posts will keep on coming in order to prove the credibility of the poster.



 

 

no name
0 Kudos
350 Views
3
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Roxanna35 wrote:


At least RK only asks never ending questions.LOL

Just can't get away from your obsession, can you??
Time to back off and spin your dreidel.
0 Kudos
349 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Roxanna35 wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:



 



So long, your public is waiting.Tx  

I applaud you, you have demonstrated to have more sense than perhaps I have had.

The poster cannot for whatever the reason simply let go. Apparently there needs to be the absolute proof that the poster is all knowledgeable.
He needs to ridicule posters that apparently he doesn't like and constantly needle them into useless discussions.
At least RK only asks never ending questions.LOL
Crediblity of posters is somewhat important in this message board, we all come here with different opinions but we certainly don't come here to be bullied and intimidated by others.
I sincerely believe that many readers have caught on, and they will act accordingly 
Will see. will see you all next week, but I am going to prophesize that the posts will keep on coming in order to prove the credibility of the poster.

 


There are some who for various reasons need to have their egos fed.  These types show their immaturity by going after others, much like is being done here by a few, then they want to blame it on their 'targets'.  Much like the Eddie Haskell character in 'Leave it to Beaver'. We see several of that type here.  I was accused of bringing up experience; one does meet different types from around the country in the military..especially in the days of the draft. 

 

In the past we had a good bunch of posters on both sides, but only until the last few years when a few has taken over.

Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:



 



So long, your public is waiting.Tx  

I applaud you, you have demonstrated to have more sense than perhaps I have had.

The poster cannot for whatever the reason simply let go. Apparently there needs to be the absolute proof that the poster is all knowledgeable.
He needs to ridicule posters that apparently he doesn't like and constantly needle them into useless discussions.
At least RK only asks never ending questions.LOL
Crediblity of posters is somewhat important in this message board, we all come here with different opinions but we certainly don't come here to be bullied and intimidated by others.
I sincerely believe that many readers have caught on, and they will act accordingly 
Will see. will see you all next week, but I am going to prophesize that the posts will keep on coming in order to prove the credibility of the poster.

 


There are some who for various reasons need to have their egos fed.  These types show their immaturity by going after others, much like is being done here by a few, then they want to blame it on their 'targets'.  Much like the Eddie Haskell character in 'Leave it to Beaver'. We see several of that type here.  I was accused of bringing up experience; one does meet different types from around the country in the military..especially in the days of the draft. 

 

In the past we had a good bunch of posters on both sides, but only until the last few years when a few has taken over.


We used to refer to this situation as "beating a dead horse".

Social Butterfly

When I was sixteen my Aunt and I took a bus from D,C. to Rehoboth Beach. The bus  stopped in Annapolis where  six Cadets and a tired looking old black woman got on the bus.  The Cadets took all the empty seats leaving the woman standing in the aisle.  I stood up and gave her my seat.
One Cadet stood up,  took the woman by the arm and pulled her out of the seat. aMy Aunt told me not to make a scene over it.  The woman and I both stood the rest of the trip.

 

Honored Social Butterfly

It Was a "Whites Only" Gas Station.....

 

Another aspect of that story is using the bathroom, gas stations didn't have separate bathrooms for whites and blacks, blacks just had to go in the bushes.

 

But don't say blacks were ( still are? ) treated like animals in the Jim Crow days, that would offend muh heritage.

 

Yall ready to go back to the good ole days?   Jim Crow 2.0 is creeping in.

Honored Social Butterfly

 

Smiley Surprised 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
400 Views
10
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Man Frustrated


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
412 Views
9
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

I found this part of her story quite compelling.....

 

"If I talk to whites about that story, they focus on the man and how kind he was," Anderson says.

 

"And he was kind, but at the same time when I talk to blacks about that story they're more focused on the fact that it wasn't illegal for him to deny us gas."

 

What does that say about us, today?


 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
357 Views
8
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

I found this part of her story quite compelling.....

 

"If I talk to whites about that story, they focus on the man and how kind he was," Anderson says.

 

"And he was kind, but at the same time when I talk to blacks about that story they're more focused on the fact that it wasn't illegal for him to deny us gas."

 

What does that say about us, today?


 


 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
506 Views
7
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

I found this part of her story quite compelling.....

 

"If I talk to whites about that story, they focus on the man and how kind he was," Anderson says.

 

"And he was kind, but at the same time when I talk to blacks about that story they're more focused on the fact that it wasn't illegal for him to deny us gas."

 

What does that say about us, today?


 


 


It seems to say that the message of "victimology" has really become deeply embedded in some people.

0 Kudos
500 Views
6
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Really?  Please explain....


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
495 Views
5
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Really?  Please explain....


Yes, really. It has been discussed over and over. You seem to be playing games again.......or is it "as usual".

0 Kudos
463 Views
4
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

So, you're claiming the woman speaking in the topic is playing "victimology"?


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
454 Views
3
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

So, you're claiming the woman speaking in the topic is playing "victimology"?


So, no.

 

Let me know if you are interested in honest discussion.

0 Kudos
441 Views
2
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@rk9152 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

So, you're claiming the woman speaking in the topic is playing "victimology"?


So, no.  So, in context of THIS topic, what's your point?  Or is this just another topic you think you can hyjack to spew your hate for minorities?


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
435 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

So, you're claiming the woman speaking in the topic is playing "victimology"?


So, no.  So, in context of THIS topic, what's your point?  Or is this just another topic you think you can hyjack to spew your hate for minorities? So, in the context of THIS topic, there is a prevalence of  "victimology" exhibited by some posters and the quotes offered.

 

My "hate for minorities"??? Really pushing the envelop there. I will accept your apology - unless you can offer a quote of words of mine to make your point.


 

0 Kudos
410 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

This was in the 1950's and segregation was the rule there.  It also worked both ways but there was exceptions. 

 

In the mid-1950s on a Sunday afternoon in Oklahoma a buddy and I was walking around town, bored because nothing to do.  A Black sergeant from our squadron drove by and asked us how things were going.  We told him we sure would like some cold beer.

 

He told us to hop in and took us to what they called then a 'colored' bar.  We walked in and several men was about to throw us out.  The Sergeant told them that we was with him.  They ended up buying us more than several cool ones.

 

Prejudice and bias works both ways.  I cannot help but feel that some here has an obsession with the topic. Would it be projecting one's on feelings of personal bias? 

Honored Social Butterfly

I have so many stories fron the early 60's  My daughter was born in Augusta Ga. in 1965.  at a time in which even the Dr. that I went to. had a colored entrance.Not being accostumed to seeing that, I was appalled as to the mentality of the town. Everthing was separate, I was told time and time again, that Blacks were not the same and that "the Bible" said so.

I have a small story. Going to the 5&10 one day with my other two children, of course they wanted to go to the rest room. the line for the whites was really large and my kids needed to go. So I looked at the colored entrance and said to my kids, not to worry, let's go there, and if anyone asks, just simply say. "no English "  No English"
Too many stories from that peiod.  When we were about to leave, the teacher pleaded for us to please register my oldest so that they wouldn't have a place for a black child. I guess integration was starting.
Too many instances of racism I have been an unwilling witness. and yes, it still exists. 

no name
Honored Social Butterfly


@Roxanna35 wrote:

Too many stories from that peiod.  When we were about to leave, the teacher pleaded for us to please register my oldest so that they wouldn't have a place for a black child. I guess integration was starting.
Too many instances of racism I have been an unwilling witness. and yes, it still exists. 


Yes, segregation was a two-way street.  When in high school my brother and I gave a ride to the maid of a friend carrying her to church in the 'colored' section of town.  She had already gotten out of the car when several guys came up and angrily asked what we were doing there in their part of town.  She overheard and gave them the riot act saying we were doing her a favor.  They backed off.

 

The original poster apparently keeps dwelling on the negative side. 

0 Kudos
490 Views
11
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

 

Yes, segregation was a two-way street.  When in high school my brother and I gave a ride to the maid of a friend carrying her to church in the 'colored' section of town.  She had already gotten out of the car when several guys came up and angrily asked what we were doing there in their part of town.  She overheard and gave them the riot act saying we were doing her a favor.  They backed off.

 

The original poster apparently keeps dwelling on the negative side. 


I find it very interesting to see how many times you have been discriminated against.

 

I like how you state that there is a negative side and a positive side to discrimination.

 

I am surprised you have not begun some type of "ANTI-DISCRIMINATION AGAINST WHITE PEOPLE" organization.

 

Oh wait.... those already exist.... in the form of WHITE SUPREMACIST GROUPS like the KKK (Texas has the most chapters)... must be a lot of discrimination against WHITES there.

 

Your treatment was because your White presence in a Black area, in those times, was considered a threat.

 

Of course, you only saw it as "reverse discrimination".

 

That figures.

NO! IT'S CONSERVATIVES THAT ARE NUTTIER THAN SQUIRREL POOP!
Honored Social Butterfly


@nctarheel wrote:

 

Of course, you only saw it as "reverse discrimination".

 

And therein lies the problem. There are those who simply cannot accept the realities of the world. There is discrimination, there always has been discrimination and there is nothing "reverse" about it. To assume only one race is capable of "racism" is racist - it assigns capability based on race.

 

They also are still using the '60s to beat up on people - playing the "white guilt" game which is along the lines of, "I feel guilty for what happened in the south in the '60s so I am superior to you".

 

If you want to feel guilt, make it "Democratic guilt" for what the Dems did and have been doing to black families and black individuals since the '60s.

 

 

0 Kudos
446 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@rk9152 wrote:

@nctarheel wrote:

 

Of course, you only saw it as "reverse discrimination".

 

And therein lies the problem. There are those who simply cannot accept the realities of the world. There is discrimination, there always has been discrimination and there is nothing "reverse" about it. To assume only one race is capable of "racism" is racist - it assigns capability based on race.

 

They also are still using the '60s to beat up on people - playing the "white guilt" game which is along the lines of, "I feel guilty for what happened in the south in the '60s so I am superior to you".

 

If you want to feel guilt, make it "Democratic guilt" for what the Dems did and have been doing to black families and black individuals since the '60s.

 OH  Rk  you can't mean me.!!!!!  LOL   after all I am Cuban LOL  LOL 


 

no name
0 Kudos
443 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@nctarheel wrote:


I find it very interesting to see how many times you have been discriminated against.

 

I like how you state that there is a negative side and a positive side to discrimination.

 


And how many times when someone disagrees with your opinion have you accused them of being anti-semitic?   And how many times have you claimed discrimination when someone mentions apartheid in support of those in Gaza.  Are you qualified to speak out about discrimination?

 

And you keep bringing up Texas when supporting that discrimination?  Why haven't you been so frequent in speaking out about discrimination in your claimed state of North Carolina?   You even threw in a post commenting on my Cherokee ancestry, but claim discrimination when you even thinks someone is discriminating about you, even if they aren't?   You hide behind that.

0 Kudos
480 Views
7
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@nctarheel wrote:


I find it very interesting to see how many times you have been discriminated against.

 

I like how you state that there is a negative side and a positive side to discrimination.

 


And how many times when someone disagrees with your opinion have you accused them of being anti-semitic?   And how many times have you claimed discrimination when someone mentions apartheid in support of those in Gaza.  Are you qualified to speak out about discrimination?

 

And you keep bringing up Texas when supporting that discrimination?  Why haven't you been so frequent in speaking out about discrimination in your claimed state of North Carolina?   You even threw in a post commenting on my Cherokee ancestry, but claim discrimination when you even thinks someone is discriminating about you, even if they aren't?   You hide behind that.


I bring up ANTI-SEMITISM because some will immediately bring up Israel and Gaza as a "dog whistle" on a regular basis even though the thread is nowhere near being about either Israel or Gaza.

 

The only reason one might do that is to intimidate those that are of the JEWISH faith. That they do it regularly means they are comfortable in doing it.

 

Your Cherokee ancestry was pertinent to the post because this man, supported by TRUMP, has a violent hate of the Cherokee Nations, and you have repeatedly mentioned they were your ancestors.

 

Israel and Gaza are NOT PERTINENT to the conversation; except to intimidate.

NO! IT'S CONSERVATIVES THAT ARE NUTTIER THAN SQUIRREL POOP!
Honored Social Butterfly


@nctarheel wrote:

 

Your Cherokee ancestry was pertinent to the post because this man, supported by TRUMP, has a violent hate of the Cherokee Nations, and you have repeatedly mentioned they were your ancestors.

 

 


My Cherokee ancestry is but a minute part of it.  Mostly is tied to royalty of Great Britain and continental emporers. 

 

And there is no doubt that you are attempting to use it as a personal attack...and further I don't pull it up as a weapon when someone has a different opinion. Therefor, I have as much a right to pull up your heritage as you do.  And again, you claim in your case it is being biased to mention it.  I would believe that you cannot engage in civil discussion with attempting to insult others.

 

And further you have taken this off-topic for your own devious purposes. 

 

Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

 


My Cherokee ancestry is but a minute part of it.  Mostly is tied to royalty of Great Britain and continental emporers. 

 


Ooooh !    Aahhhhhh !  Impressive ...............


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png