Protect your digital identity with AARP’s fraud resource center. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Isn't "Illegal" actually a sick bird?

Message 21 of 32

@GailL1 wrote:

I was responding to your comments about the rules to become legal immigrants.

Nobody is saying that we cannot take in legal immigrant.  Meaning those who play by the rules of numbers, reasons and need for us and them.  They can assimilate into our communities and have no reason to hide or accept jobs that are below the pay scale of that job.  

However, our need for legal immigration has to be assessed after the needs of our citizens already here that need employment.  I don't know if your carpenters and roofers were legal or illegal but if they were illegal, they are taking jobs away from citizens and even perhaps legal immigrants.  And as an aside, I do think that legal immigrants should adopt English as their primary language when living and working in the U.S.  

People do not have to be citizens to buy homes as long as they can make the payments or pay cash.

Interesting concept and yet, I have never seen a line in front of the unemployment place filled with carpenters and electricians. Well, when Dubya was president but not under Obama. When the economy contracts, illegals tend to leave.  Except those who have started businesses and bought homes, of course.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 32

@Richva wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

In order to get a green card, one must have family relationships in the U.S. or fit certain employment classifications.  In short, for many Mexicans, there is no way to even get into the line. 

And why do you think that is -?

The rationale being that we don't need people who become burdens on our society, we have enough of those already that we have to consider.  OR we don't want them reducing the jobs which could be available to citizens - skilled and unskilled - and reducing the competitiveness of the pay.

I am trying to understand this circular logic.  Illegals cannot apply for any benefits beyond being treated at emergency rooms for life threatening situations.  Illegals have been working and providing economic stimulus here for decades.  Illegals have been paying taxes because of payroll deductions, they just cannot file a return. 

Immigrants are much more likely to start businesses and buy homes, if they are allowed.   As I watch the group of carpenters and roofers down the street erecting the new house and listen to the fluent Spanish being spoken, I wonder if I should call ICE?

I was responding to your comments about the rules to become legal immigrants.

Nobody is saying that we cannot take in legal immigrant.  Meaning those who play by the rules of numbers, reasons and need for us and them.  They can assimilate into our communities and have no reason to hide or accept jobs that are below the pay scale of that job.  

However, our need for legal immigration has to be assessed after the needs of our citizens already here that need employment.  I don't know if your carpenters and roofers were legal or illegal but if they were illegal, they are taking jobs away from citizens and even perhaps legal immigrants.  And as an aside, I do think that legal immigrants should adopt English as their primary language when living and working in the U.S.  

People do not have to be citizens to buy homes as long as they can make the payments or pay cash.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 32

@GailL1 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

In order to get a green card, one must have family relationships in the U.S. or fit certain employment classifications.  In short, for many Mexicans, there is no way to even get into the line. 

The rationale being that we don't need people who become burdens on our society, we have enough of those already that we have to consider.  OR we don't want them reducing the jobs which could be available to citizens - skilled and unskilled - and reducing the competitiveness of the pay.

I am trying to understand this circular logic.  Illegals cannot apply for any benefits beyond being treated at emergency rooms for life threatening situations.  Illegals have been working and providing economic stimulus here for decades.  Illegals have been paying taxes because of payroll deductions, they just cannot file a return. 

Immigrants are much more likely to start businesses and buy homes, if they are allowed.   As I watch the group of carpenters and roofers down the street erecting the new house and listen to the fluent Spanish being spoken, I wonder if I should call ICE?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 32

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

Rich, you are absolutely correct.  The Immigration laws are outdated and they need desperately to be reviwed, change, ammended and whatever they need to do, in order for them to work.  Really?  Like to what?  Anybody can come and go as they please?

To continue trying to implement the existant laws is wrong. Why?

Times change, causes change, issues change.  But the borders don't.

Many of the people already here have no  legal path to be here. Under the current laws, my ancestors would hot have had a legal path either. Same for the pilgrims.  My argument on enforcing the existing laws is a lot like the reasons we repealed prohibition, they are not working.  

Borders do not change but you seem to be making the same case.  Illegally entering the country is bad because it is against the law.  Excuse me while I sit back and light up a joint. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 32

@Richva wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 32

@nyadrn wrote:

Why do you think that the laws, in regard to the quotas for Mexico, need to be changed?  Do you think there are more jobs available requiring unskilled labor and that we need more immigrants to do them?

Seems to me that the cost of labor goes with the ole supply and demand free market rule.  

Can't find suitable help at the price which you are paying, up the pay to get qualified applicants and good workers or employees.  This should apply to jobs for both skilled and unskilled - HB1 or migrant workers or whatever HB numeric status.

We have lots and lots of unskilled workers in this country.  We have pockets of vast unemployment.  These folks need to find employment so they can rise up and change their lives for the better.

So what, that we may have to pay more for goods and services, we'd have to pay an increase price if we just raised the minimum wage.  

For or those jobs that require a build up of dexterity and acclimation, pay them a minimum hourly wage until they can begin to work on a volume basis as migrant workers do now.  Migrant workers can make $20 - $25 per hour once they get their rhythm down and stamina up.  Add to that that the employer provides all necessities during that crops picking season - food, shelter, transportation.

I think illegal immigrants or even HB whatever the number are keeping wages low in many sectors of our economy.  Migrants go where the jobs are - should citizens do the same?  In the more skilled professions, they do.  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 32

@rker321 wrote:

Rich, you are absolutely correct.  The Immigration laws are outdated and they need desperately to be reviwed, change, ammended and whatever they need to do, in order for them to work.  Really?  Like to what?  Anybody can come and go as they please?

To continue trying to implement the existant laws is wrong. Why?

Times change, causes change, issues change.  But the borders don't. Is this in conflict with your past posts here against open borders and globalization?

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 32

@nyadrn wrote:

Why do you think that the laws, in regard to the quotas for Mexico, need to be changed?  Do you think there are more jobs available requiring unskilled labor and that we need more immigrants to do them?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 32

Rich, I believe that I have answered the same post in another thread. perhaps you may want to read it.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 32

@Richva wrote:

The anti-Hispanic-Immigrant crowd seems to be making a religion of illegal immigration.  I have yet to hear reasons beyond "It's ILLEGAL!".  The immigration laws have not been reviewed and updated for over 20 years.  Do you really think they are as applicable today?  

Marijuana is legal in many states but the federal laws were enacted by Richard Nixon. Whose law do we follow?  Prohibition seems to have been ignored by most citizens. No authority tried to go around after it was repealed to arrest those who did not follow the law at the time. So it will be with immigration laws once we get Congress to do their jobs. 

Tell your congressperson to do their job. Determine what laws we need to control immigration, what resources we need to apply the laws and processes, and how they are going to pay for them. 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs