Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Isn't "Illegal" actually a sick bird?

Message 1 of 32

Rich, please really research the Immigration laws, there are many ways of doing so in the Internet.

No, you don't have to be a citizen to apply for legal entry for a spouse, children or mother or father. By being a US Legal Resident (Green Card)  you can.

I beliee that I have said that before in thiis message board. 
Go to a Gov site and research.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 32

@Richva wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

Actually you could argue successfully that enforcement of our laws has been unsuccessful but just because there are people who are here and people who desire to be here, that have no basis for entry under the law, does not in itself mean that the laws are bad.  They may be, yes, and probably are, but the law and the restrictions would need to be reviewed and a determination made as to what we want to change.  Why is there no provision for them to enter now and who and why do we want to change that.  

If a law is unenforcable, it is an unsuccessful law. If 11 million people are evading the law in order to live quietly in our country as they make economic contributions, the law needs to be revisited. 

If a person wants a work visa in the U.S., and eventually to become a citizen, it's easier if they have a relative in the country who has legal status and can file a petition on their behalf. In those instances there are lines of people waiting -- a wait that can go from a period of a few years to sometimes almost a decade.

"If you have an immediate relative who lives in the United States that is your spouse or a child over 21, then you can apply for a visa relatively quickly. It has to be your immediate relative and that person has to be a citizen. So then let's say you have a spouse who is a legal permanent resident; then you have to get in line and wait probably three or four years.

http://www.alternet.org/story/148088/why_becoming_a_legal_immigrant_is_next_to_impossible

Sorry but not true.  It is enforceable.. we have chosen not to enforce it.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 32

@rker321 wrote:

Rich, that is the way that most countries deal with their immigration laws, there are many that always will apply that will never be able to obtain an immigration status. 
Again, research the immigration laws in countries such as Mexico. Canada, Eruropean countries, Australia, New Zealand and many other Asian countries.
Yes, many will not be able to be "on that line" that you describe.That is why, a Guest Worker Program is needed in this country. to accomodate those that simply want to work in the US. and that not necessarily will become green card holders.

That does not seem to be the case as this article from National Geographic shows. 

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/06/130630-immigration-reform-world-refugees-asylum-cana...

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 32

@nyadrn wrote:

Actually you could argue successfully that enforcement of our laws has been unsuccessful but just because there are people who are here and people who desire to be here, that have no basis for entry under the law, does not in itself mean that the laws are bad.  They may be, yes, and probably are, but the law and the restrictions would need to be reviewed and a determination made as to what we want to change.  Why is there no provision for them to enter now and who and why do we want to change that.  

If a law is unenforcable, it is an unsuccessful law. If 11 million people are evading the law in order to live quietly in our country as they make economic contributions, the law needs to be revisited. 

If a person wants a work visa in the U.S., and eventually to become a citizen, it's easier if they have a relative in the country who has legal status and can file a petition on their behalf. In those instances there are lines of people waiting -- a wait that can go from a period of a few years to sometimes almost a decade.

"If you have an immediate relative who lives in the United States that is your spouse or a child over 21, then you can apply for a visa relatively quickly. It has to be your immediate relative and that person has to be a citizen. So then let's say you have a spouse who is a legal permanent resident; then you have to get in line and wait probably three or four years.

http://www.alternet.org/story/148088/why_becoming_a_legal_immigrant_is_next_to_impossible

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 32

@Richva wrote:nyadrn wrote:

Why do you think that the laws, in regard to the quotas for Mexico, need to be changed?  Do you think there are more jobs available requiring unskilled labor and that we need more immigrants to do them?

In order to get a green card, one must have family relationships in the U.S. or fit certain employment classifications.  In short, for many Mexicans, there is no way to even get into the line. 

Rich, that is the way that most countries deal with their immigration laws, there are many that always will apply that will never be able to obtain an immigration status. 
Again, research the immigration laws in countries such as Mexico. Canada, Eruropean countries, Australia, New Zealand and many other Asian countries.
Yes, many will not be able to be "on that line" that you describe.That is why, a Guest Worker Program is needed in this country. to accomodate those that simply want to work in the US. and that not necessarily will become green card holders.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 32

@Richva wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

In order to make a change in the laws, there should be a reason for that change, correct?  So I am asking what basis is seen for the law change?  No I do not disagree with that.  Part of reviewing the laws is determining what is best for the US in the same way that they were originally adopted.

There are 11 million undocumented aliens in the United States.  One could say that the laws are not working. 

Those undocumented aliens are having children who will be citizens. If those 11 million undocumented aliens are forced to leave, one could say it will put a huge burden on our capacity to handle children (citizens) in need. 

Most of those undocumented aliens came here that way because there was no legal path for them to do so. One could say the current laws are inadequate. They were inadequate when they were written 20 years ago and there was no way to improve them as times changed.  

Finally, these 20+ year old laws may be the best laws we could possibly have. If so, then a review will prove this and we can go back to building economically ridiculous walls to keep them out. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 32

@nyadrn wrote:

In order to make a change in the laws, there should be a reason for that change, correct?  So I am asking what basis is seen for the law change?  No I do not disagree with that.  Part of reviewing the laws is determining what is best for the US in the same way that they were originally adopted.

There are 11 million undocumented aliens in the United States.  One could say that the laws are not working. 

Those undocumented aliens are having children who will be citizens. If those 11 million undocumented aliens are forced to leave, one could say it will put a huge burden on our capacity to handle children (citizens) in need. 

Most of those undocumented aliens came here that way because there was no legal path for them to do so. One could say the current laws are inadequate. They were inadequate when they were written 20 years ago and there was no way to improve them as times changed.  

Finally, these 20+ year old laws may be the best laws we could possibly have. If so, then a review will prove this and we can go back to building economically ridiculous walls to keep them out. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 32

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

@Richva wrote:

The anti-Hispanic-Immigrant crowd seems to be making a religion of illegal immigration.  I have yet to hear reasons beyond "It's ILLEGAL!".  The immigration laws have not been reviewed and updated for over 20 years.  Do you really think they are as applicable today?  

Marijuana is legal in many states but the federal laws were enacted by Richard Nixon. Whose law do we follow?  Prohibition seems to have been ignored by most citizens. No authority tried to go around after it was repealed to arrest those who did not follow the law at the time. So it will be with immigration laws once we get Congress to do their jobs. 

Tell your congressperson to do their job. Determine what laws we need to control immigration, what resources we need to apply the laws and processes, and how they are going to pay for them. 

Why do you think that the laws, in regard to the quotas for Mexico, need to be changed?  Do you think there are more jobs available requiring unskilled labor and that we need more immigrants to do them?

What words in the posting you responded to did you interpret to mean the things you stated? The poster didn't way that laws in regard to the quotas for Mexico needed to be changed.

I agree with the last paragraph of the posted topic: 

Tell your congressperson to do their job. Determine what laws we need to control immigration, what resources we need to apply the laws and processes, and how they are going to pay for them.

What do you disagee with in that last paragraph?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 32

@jimc91 wrote:

Who is this "anti-Hispanic-Immigrant crowd" that you are talking about?

I think most people I talk to just want the current laws to be enforced.  

The congress is charged with the responsibility to write and pass new law or ammend the current laws.

By the way, "ILLEGAL ALIEN" is NOT A RACE.

ILLEGAL ALIENS are people that are in our country without current permission to be here.

This "CROWD" you are talking about must be democrats since they see "groups" of people divided according to color, or ethnic background.  

Republicans see people as individuals of "the HUMAN RACE"...

And yet, when we hear chants of "build that wall", we never assume it is to be between our country and the predominantly white one, do we?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 32

@WebWiseWoman wrote:

You are sooooooo correct (I believe) but will say think I don't believe immigration code has been changed since my grandfather and grandmother arrived here from Italy during WWII and the immigration person could not spell their name and gave them a new one...

When their son married my mother, whose parents arrived as children from the boat from Europe about 40 years earlier, we all felt American (indeed, mia nonna Katherine forbade Italian speaking when "foreign" person was in our presence so as not to disrepect).

Now, to my shame, in her honor, there is talk of a wall and of a ban on people. This disgusts me as it would have her, particularly as she came here for freedom from an agressive, offensive and secular government.

There are an equal number of stories that indicate the abuse to our immigration laws.   There are temp work visa's issued for all kinds of jobs, cooks, waitresses, day workers, porters  you name it.  People from other countries are brought in to do these jobs for a season in hotels, motels, restaurants etc all over..  ( of course none of the jobs could be filled by people living in those areas, right? )   and when the season is over, the workers return, with plans to come back the following season.  Lots of things go on under our current laws that should not and the entire process needs reviewing.  

Kudos
Views