Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Isn't "Illegal" actually a sick bird?

Message 11 of 32

@nyadrn wrote:

@Richva wrote:

The anti-Hispanic-Immigrant crowd seems to be making a religion of illegal immigration.  I have yet to hear reasons beyond "It's ILLEGAL!".  The immigration laws have not been reviewed and updated for over 20 years.  Do you really think they are as applicable today?  

Marijuana is legal in many states but the federal laws were enacted by Richard Nixon. Whose law do we follow?  Prohibition seems to have been ignored by most citizens. No authority tried to go around after it was repealed to arrest those who did not follow the law at the time. So it will be with immigration laws once we get Congress to do their jobs. 

Tell your congressperson to do their job. Determine what laws we need to control immigration, what resources we need to apply the laws and processes, and how they are going to pay for them. 

Why do you think that the laws, in regard to the quotas for Mexico, need to be changed?  Do you think there are more jobs available requiring unskilled labor and that we need more immigrants to do them?

What words in the posting you responded to did you interpret to mean the things you stated? The poster didn't way that laws in regard to the quotas for Mexico needed to be changed.

I agree with the last paragraph of the posted topic: 

Tell your congressperson to do their job. Determine what laws we need to control immigration, what resources we need to apply the laws and processes, and how they are going to pay for them.

What do you disagee with in that last paragraph?

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 32

@Richva wrote:

The anti-Hispanic-Immigrant crowd seems to be making a religion of illegal immigration.  I have yet to hear reasons beyond "It's ILLEGAL!".  The immigration laws have not been reviewed and updated for over 20 years.  Do you really think they are as applicable today?  

Who is this "anti-Hispanic-Immigrant crowd" that you are talking about?

I think most people I talk to just want the current laws to be enforced.  

The congress is charged with the responsibility to write and pass new law or ammend the current laws.

By the way, "ILLEGAL ALIEN" is NOT A RACE.

ILLEGAL ALIENS are people that are in our country without current permission to be here.

This "CROWD" you are talking about must be democrats since they see "groups" of people divided according to color, or ethnic background.  

Republicans see people as individuals of "the HUMAN RACE"...

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 32

You are sooooooo correct (I believe) but will say think I don't believe immigration code has been changed since my grandfather and grandmother arrived here from Italy during WWII and the immigration person could not spell their name and gave them a new one...

When their son married my mother, whose parents arrived as children from the boat from Europe about 40 years earlier, we all felt American (indeed, mia nonna Katherine forbade Italian speaking when "foreign" person was in our presence so as not to disrepect).

Now, to my shame, in her honor, there is talk of a wall and of a ban on people. This disgusts me as it would have her, particularly as she came here for freedom from an agressive, offensive and secular government.

#VegasStrong

#NeverTrump

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 32

Always thought Bachman was a wing nut--what should be against the law is airheads like her getting into office--should have passed that one a long time ago--wouldn't have to worry about Bachman or Little Donnie.

Forget the joints, we are all going to need to be clear headed until the king of immoral and illegal laws is removed.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 32

@nyadrn wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:
That is true.  The quotas were built to favor the American worker based on the type of skills and labor needed at the time.  If there is a need, than there should be an adjustment to the quota.  If there is no need than restrictions are applied.   Quotas were not built to accomdate desire to enter our country but to protect our jobs for those already here.  Time for review is needed.

I keep remembering Michelle Bachmann when she toured a grade school. A little girl asked her why she was against homosexuality in a less sophisticated manner and Bachmann replied, "Because it is against the law dear".  The little girl just looked at her like Bachmann was nuts.  Just sayin' that being against federal law does not make it a moral obligation. 

Excuse me while I light up this joint. 

I agree.  As has been said here many times before, if a law(or quota or whatever) is bad it needs to be fixed not ignored.  Also, making laws without putting into place the vehicles to be able to enforce them makes no sense either. 

ps  you can light up as many joints as you wish.  I have no problem.  If they were passed around, there would be  alot less fighting and arguing here. : )

And yet, to light up a joint is against Federal law. Trump should start taking away federal funds from Colorado infrastructure projects to get them in line?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 32

@Richva wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:
That is true.  The quotas were built to favor the American worker based on the type of skills and labor needed at the time.  If there is a need, than there should be an adjustment to the quota.  If there is no need than restrictions are applied.   Quotas were not built to accomdate desire to enter our country but to protect our jobs for those already here.  Time for review is needed.

I keep remembering Michelle Bachmann when she toured a grade school. A little girl asked her why she was against homosexuality in a less sophisticated manner and Bachmann replied, "Because it is against the law dear".  The little girl just looked at her like Bachmann was nuts.  Just sayin' that being against federal law does not make it a moral obligation. 

I agree.  As has been said here many times before, if a law(or quota or whatever) is bad it needs to be fixed not ignored.  Also, making laws without putting into place the vehicles to be able to enforce them makes no sense either. 

ps  you can light up as many joints as you wish.  I have no problem.  If they were passed around, there would be  alot less fighting and arguing here. : )

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 32

@nyadrn wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 32

@nyadrn wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

Why do you think that the laws, in regard to the quotas for Mexico, need to be changed?  Do you think there are more jobs available requiring unskilled labor and that we need more immigrants to do them?

In order to get a green card, one must have family relationships in the U.S. or fit certain employment classifications.  In short, for many Mexicans, there is no way to even get into the line. 

That is true.  The quotas were built to favor the American worker based on the type of skills and labor needed at the time.  If there is a need, than there should be an adjustment to the quota.  If there is no need than restrictions are applied.   Quotas were not built to accommodate desire to enter our country but to protect our jobs for those already here.  Time for review is needed.

The economy in Mexico has improved over the last several years. They have plenty of good jobs there, so immigration from Mexico is very low to non-existent. Those coming across the southern border are mainly from Central American countries, and some as far from South America. Some coming from Central America are actually asylum seekers who surrender to authorities upon crossing the border. Asylum is whole other category of immigration law, and most of them do not qualify or cannot prove the need for asylum, so most are being processed back to their country of origin. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 32

@Richva wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

In order to get a green card, one must have family relationships in the U.S. or fit certain employment classifications.  In short, for many Mexicans, there is no way to even get into the line. 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 32

If you really want to know the truth, please read these articles. Possibly you will understand why many of us believe immigration laws must be updated. 

10 Myths About Immigration

http://www.tolerance.org/immigration-myths

5 Immigration Myths Debunked

http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/20/news/economy/immigration-myths/

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

This AARP gamer plays to get back her art and identity after a health scare. Read Regan C.’s story, available now.

gamer Regan C.

Top Authors