Eye scans and gene editing are among the new frontiers in Alzheimer’s research! Learn more in AARP’s report on medical breakthroughs.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Is it Against US Law 2 Criticize Israel or Jews?

Message 1 of 33

Mick, you might be right, but maybe Pelousi is trying to head off the trump repub propaganda machine which wants to declare all of us as being antisemetic and hating Jews and Israel. Remember their need to create boogey people! How weird to see repubs lecture others on hate speech!

I prefer to not be part of the repub plan. 

Never Forget

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 33

@gordyfl wrote:

omar aoc.jpg

The House has passed a resolution condemning anti-Semitism, discrimination against Muslims and other bigotry against minorities.

The 407-23 vote Thursday was a bid to end dissension among Democrats over congresswoman Ilhan Omar’s latest remarks on Israel. Omar said the Jewish state’s allies pressure lawmakers to pledge “allegiance” to a foreign country.

https://www.apnews.com/3cf12ffbcdb34a828e4b1070d11bf535

407 - 23 ....... Perfect Illustration of how deep the Swamp Runs through Washington & Pelosi hammered the plug even deeper & tighter into the Drain with this absurd waste of the Tax Payers time & money

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 33

omar aoc.jpg

The House has passed a resolution condemning anti-Semitism, discrimination against Muslims and other bigotry against minorities.

The 407-23 vote Thursday was a bid to end dissension among Democrats over congresswoman Ilhan Omar’s latest remarks on Israel. Omar said the Jewish state’s allies pressure lawmakers to pledge “allegiance” to a foreign country.

https://www.apnews.com/3cf12ffbcdb34a828e4b1070d11bf535

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 33

Well Trump & the GOP Have Certainly Plotted Out Their Foreign Policy Goals - Make Rich Americans & Corporations Great - in spite of & in many cases at the expense of - Every Other Country on Earth except Israel

Democrats are about to pass one of their only first few pieces of Legislation & it's in a effort to SQUASH any debate or criticism of one Specific Country & Religion oh sure they will throw in some token camouflage but

Why is that?

Follow the Money?

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 33

I have critized Israel and its policies for a very long time and many times have been accused of being anti semitic.

Which was not correct. I truly believe that Netanyahu has done   a lot of harm to Israel and now hoping that once he is done completely, Israel and their new leaders, will be able to rule their country and deal with the problems that they have had for centuries.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 33

That is certainly an aspect of our relationship with Israel, which I never realized. Would they have been bigger targets for conflicts in the Middle East?

I think it is very open and honest to ask if we place greater allegiance towards Israel than to our own country...especially if there is money involved. And I really do not care for Netenyahu, who just compounds the discussion because he is so much like trump...maybe a crook too. 

I too support Israel, but sometimes we need to question their actions and motives... we need that sort of review occasionally. It’s actually healthy, not hateful. 

Never Forget

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 33

Israeli Soldiers have never - not once - fought & died beside US Soldiers on the Battlefield - in any recognised Major War/Conflict - not in the Middle East - Not anywhere

------------------------------

I never realized that and why is that ?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 33

Multiple other Democrats urged their colleagues to stay off Twitter — where some lawmakers, including Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Juan Vargas — sparred over the weekend.

Vargas wrote that “questioning support for the U.S.-Israel relationship is unacceptable,” to which Ocasio-Cortez responded: “I remember a time when it was ‘unacceptable’ to question the Iraq War.”

FOLLOW THE MONEY

Source - https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/06/ilhan-omar-israel-democrats-1206740

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 33
Later Wednesday evening, Elizabeth Warren added herself to the list of candidates defending the freshman congresswoman.

"We have a moral duty to combat hateful ideologies in our own country and around the world -- and that includes both anti-Semitism and Islamophobia," the Massachusetts Democrat said in a statement. "In a democracy, we can and should have an open, respectful debate about the Middle East that focuses on policy.

Branding criticism of Israel as automatically anti-Semitic has a chilling effect on our public discourse and makes it harder to achieve a peaceful solution between Israelis and Palestinians. Threats of violence -- like those made against Rep. Omar -- are never acceptable."

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 33

Bernie Sanders, Kamala Harris Condemn Effort To Rebuke Ilhan Omar

The Vermont senator said he opposes anti-Semitism, but fears that targeting congresswoman Omar is a “way of stifling debate” over Israel and Palestine.

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) condemned an effort by House Democratic leadership to rebuke Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) for comments she made about the influence of pro-Israel lobby on American foreign policy.

“Anti-Semitism is a hateful and dangerous ideology which must be vigorously opposed in the United States and around the world. We must not, however, equate anti-Semitism with legitimate criticism of the right-wing, Netanyahu government in Israel,” Sanders said in a statement on Wednesday. “Rather, we must develop an even-handed Middle East policy which brings Israelis and Palestinians together for a lasting peace.

“What I fear is going on in the House now is an effort to target Congresswoman Omar as a way of stifling that debate,” he continued. “That’s wrong.”

Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) provided a similar statement shortly after Sanders on Wednesday.

“We all have a responsibility to speak out against anti-Semitism, Islamophobia, homophobia, transphobia, racism, and all forms of hatred and bigotry, especially as we see a spike in hate crimes in America,” Harris said in a statement.

“But like some of my colleagues in the Congressional Black Caucus, I am concerned that the spotlight being put on Congresswoman Omar may put her at risk.”

“We should be having a sound, respectful discussion about policy. You can both support Israel and be loyal to our country,” she continued. “I also believe there is a difference between criticism of policy or political leaders, and anti-Semitism. At the end of the day, we need a two-state solution and a commitment to peace, human rights, and democracy by all leaders in the region ― and a commitment by our country to help achieve that.”

Source - https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bernie-sanders-ilhan-omar-anti-semitism-statement_n_5c80385be4b0e62f6...

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion: