AARP members get more! Take a look at your member benefits.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Is it Against US Law 2 Criticize Israel or Jews?

Message 21 of 33

Unless and until Israel returns to a rational leadership structure that mirrors that of Shimon Peres, particularly given the state of settlement expansion, it's quite clear that Israel isn't one bit interested in a lasting peace process, and it guarantees generation after generation of Palestinians anxious to return the favor.

Now, if that makes me an anti-Semite, so be it. US aid should be contingent on the recipients' ability to not constantly poke its neighbors in the eye, and kick them when they're down. It must be human nature for a victim to eventually mimic and employ the tactics of their oppressors against someone else, but two wrongs still do not make a right.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (13 pages of lies and growing)
Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 33

@mickstuder wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

It’s a sensitive subject and people have to be careful how they phrase concern or criticism. Most people know criticizing specific Israeli policies is not Anti-Semitic. It’s different than criticizing the very existence of Israel. That IS anti-Semitic.

But some will perceive these two to be one and the same.   

Be clear on the criticism and also leave room to listen to opposing views.  Understand that some see those very policies you dislike to be the ONLY way to ensure Israel’s existence. And I mean Jewish people. Not evangelical Christians who support Israel to usher in the Second Coming. 

The Question - Reasonable Inquiring Minds Want To Know is - WHY?

We Can Question & debate the USA's Financial Support & Commitment to every NATO Country

The Right has us convinced a little tiny harmless Country in the Carrabean - CUBA - is a mortal threat to the USA

The Left has us convinced the Trump is a Financial Puppet of Russia and Saudi Arabia

But - No One is Allowed to Question the - US/Israeli Connection

Israeli Soldiers have never - not once - fought & died beside US Soldiers on the Battlefield - in any recognised Major War/Conflict - not in the Middle East - Not anywhere

And yet they have the Most Favored Nation Status over any other Country in the World

WHY?

I don’t know. People say it’s because it’s a democracy, the only real one in the region. We give almost as much aid to Egypt, by the way, although we don’t hear about that as often.  And I generally agree with that.   But it does have systemic discrimination against Israeli Arabs (Christians, Muslims, Druze), including different property rights. And there is a prohibition against intermarriage.     Very similar to the Islamic states that surround it. Never mind West Bank and Gaza issues. 

Its very difficult to have a nation with an official religion that doesn’t discriminate against those who are a different religion.  But it’s been much better at times than it is now. The nationalism is very strong right now, under Netanyahu. I’d like to see a more liberal leader. 

So while it’s definitely the best democracy in the Middle East, I would like to see less systemic discrimination. Just as I want to see less here. Doesn’t mean I want the US to cease to exist. Same as I don’t want Israel to cease to exist. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 33

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

On the positive side in Israel - Netanyahu is going to be indicted for bribery, while here in the US, the criminally dishonest republican party is still protecting trump..

I agree, A.P.!  You sure don't hear much at all about this matter in the press or from Cons.  Are they afraid to be called anti-semetic?

It's not possible to be anti-Semitic when one observes the FACT that Jews have decided to indict Netanyahu - a Jew - for bribery - although there is a little schadenfreude involved in recognizing that Netanyahu is trump's good buddy...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 33

@afisher wrote:

Subtle    States are passing BDS laws, which punishes anyone who dares speak out for this plan.    That is the power of AIPAC lobbying dollars.   It as always is about money and why it is so wrong.   Meanwhile the alt-right leader in that land is under indictment.  

I hate these prohibitions with a passion. We have something similar here in Maryland. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 33

Just so everyone is Clear

My latest Ancestry DNA Results show I am 85% Irish

Israel or Jews rarely ever came up in my recollections of Large Family Gatherings as Child

And just like Rep Mark Meadows with African Americans

I have hired Jews in the past

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 33

@mickstuder 

Good post. Makes us think. If we are going to have legislation for anti Semitic speech, shouldn’t we include hate speech against Muslims, Latinos, or the LBGTQ community. And hate speech against African Americans. Why narrow the very wide field?

@afisher 

Were you referring to state and federal legislation about punishment for any potential boycott of Israel?

Was trying to find some updated info for that. 

Never Forget

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 33

@alferdpacker wrote:

On the positive side in Israel - Netanyahu is going to be indicted for bribery, while here in the US, the criminally dishonest republican party is still protecting trump..

I agree, A.P.!  You sure don't hear much at all about this matter in the press or from Cons.  Are they afraid to be called anti-semetic?

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 33

You raise a great question, Mick.  I've always thought it was somewhat incestuous, but I believe it's because of it's strategic location for the US and is one of the few true allies the US has in that region.  Just my opinion.....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 33

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 33

@ManicProgressive wrote:

It’s a sensitive subject and people have to be careful how they phrase concern or criticism. Most people know criticizing specific Israeli policies is not Anti-Semitic. It’s different than criticizing the very existence of Israel. That IS anti-Semitic.

But some will perceive these two to be one and the same.   

Be clear on the criticism and also leave room to listen to opposing views.  Understand that some see those very policies you dislike to be the ONLY way to ensure Israel’s existence. And I mean Jewish people. Not evangelical Christians who support Israel to usher in the Second Coming. 

The Question - Reasonable Inquiring Minds Want To Know is - WHY?

We Can Question & debate the USA's Financial Support & Commitment to every NATO Country

The Right has us convinced a little tiny harmless Country in the Carrabean - CUBA - is a mortal threat to the USA

The Left has us convinced the Trump is a Financial Puppet of Russia and Saudi Arabia

But - No One is Allowed to Question the - US/Israeli Connection

Israeli Soldiers have never - not once - fought & died beside US Soldiers on the Battlefield - in any recognised Major War/Conflict - not in the Middle East - Not anywhere

And yet they have the Most Favored Nation Status over any other Country in the World

WHY?

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion: