Is The NFL Shooting Itself In The Foot?

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Is The NFL Shooting Itself In The Foot?

Message 31 of 60

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Ahhhh, the chumps that believe what the clown tweets.......

Trump's Mostly False claim that NFL ratings are 'way down'

President Donald Trump blamed low National Football League ratings and attendance on unpatriotic players.

"NFL attendance and ratings are WAY DOWN. Boring games yes, but many stay away because they love our country. League should back U.S.," Trump tweeted on Sept. 24, 2017.

His Sunday morning tweet referred to NFL players -- most notably former 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick -- who kneel during the National Anthem in protest of police brutality. Trump had made a similar claim during a campaign rally on the Friday before for Sen. Luther Strange in Huntsville, Ala.

Trump also urged the NFL fire or suspend those players.

"If NFL fans refuse to go to games until players stop disrespecting our Flag & Country, you will see change take place fast. Fire or suspend!" Trump tweeted.

We wanted to know if ratings or attendance of NFL games were indeed "way down." We previously rated a similar claim Trump made about CNN’s ratings Pants on Fire.

Once again, Trump seems to be overstating rating declines, and we found little evidence of their political motivation.

By the numbers

We’ll begin by saying that the numbers for 2017 so far are inconclusive.

Advertising Age media reporter Anthony Crupi told us he estimated a decline of around 9 percent in ratings since last year, although the only window to face a significant decline was the 1 p.m. regional games.

But we only have full data for the first two weeks of the season — the first of which was likely impacted by Hurricane Irma — making the data set too small to draw any conclusions according to Paulsen, editor in chief of Sports Media Watch. (Paulsen’s professional name is simply Paulsen.)

Average attendance for 2017 thus far is also down — by 5 percent, while gross attendance is off 8 percent from 2016.

Trump might be referring to 2016, a year when the NFL saw a significant drop in viewership, although average game attendance increased by 3 percent from 2015 to 2016.

According to ESPN, NFL game broadcasters saw an average year-on-year drop in television viewership last season of 8 percent. Fox saw the lowest ratings since 2008 and ESPN since 2005.

But that excluded Thursday Night Football games, which Paulsen said likely would lower the percentage, and alternate viewing platforms.

"A variety of factors made the comparison versus last year skewed, including streaming on Twitter and a new partner, NBC," ESPN reported.

A new Nielsen study measuring audiences in bars, restaurants, gyms and other out-of-home venues showed that NFL viewership nearly matched 2015’s numbers. However, they didn’t compute out-of-home numbers for 2015, suggesting there might still be some discrepancy.

It’s still a modest decline, according to Paulsen, because the NFL’s ratings are usually so strong — the NFL is the most popular televised sports event in the United States. He also pointed out that isolating the NFL made little sense.

more at:  Trump's Mostly False claim that NFL ratings are 'way down'

Mostly False

BTW.....NASCAR? 

Fox/FS1 ends its 2017 NASCAR season with yet another ratings low

Fox/FS1 ends its 2017 NASCAR season with yet another ratings low Several races set record lows in bo...

When I reached the age of settling down, i was all about watching football. Usfl in the spring..DIE HARD Michigan fan when it was Bo and Woody..I had to body block someone that was going to kick their tv over a field goal. Cable TV in the 80's..i had a selection of 6 games at 1 and at 4. I had my faves in each division, and was excited over any game I watched..until one day in the late 90's points out Im shaking after Michigan squeeked out a win over Notre Dame. Yes, physically shaking, pulse racing. I lived 10 miles as the crow flies from Notre Dame, and when Michigan beat them, I went to south bend in my michigan gear. well, I decided not to put that much into it, but still watch.

I find that as we get older ( boomer generation ) we watch less,and care less lol. I find I like college football better because of the atmosphere of the game..drunken naked students, bands battling..the enthusiasm. SO MY football ratings..3 college games on saturday, maybe one NFL game on sunday, other days optional.

Thats why the NFL is losing ratings..an aging population. period.

So it begins.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 60

Advertising is used to compensate and increase sales to the credulous.

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 60

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
@GS

Jerry Jones did it right. Kneel before the game publicly together as a team, LIKE IT HAS BEEN DONE FOREVER, in defiance or prayer. You then can even raise your hand to God or your fist against whatever.

When NFL tickets are selling for $14 and there are still empty seats ... no, the NFL is not filling the stands or watching more. Fans protest too.

The seat attendance is down mostly because it's cheaper in the parking lot and more fun.... and any game can be watch anywhere on any devise in the comfort of your home or sports venue.

Maybe Jerry did do it right..I thought it was a great show of solidarity, which is the whole point. Taking action to call out social and economic injustice, and thats what this protest in all its forms is about. Yes it started with a Flag protest, because thats what it took to call some attention to it. YET, rather than recognize whats being protested... PEOPLE TOOK EXCEPTION TO THE METHOD..and ignored the story beind it. The media whipped it up. The the Prez comes along..and instead of recognizing the issue..and actively DOING something about it ( remember he said "what have you got to lose? apparently more rights ) and accuses these guys of being unpatriotic. The argument that no one knows why or what they are protesting is invalid. We all know why. Yet, these folks president disparages them over their life and death concern. So do his followers...I havent seen one Conservative say..they are right in what they protest, i support them but not their methods. Instead, they get disparaged for doing something they have the right to do..and no recognition for the issue. why is that?

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 60

@oceanedge2 wrote:

Report: Defense Dept. paid NFL millions of taxpayer dollars to salute troops

BY Andrew Mach  May 10, 2015

Nearly $5.4 million was given to 14 NFL teams across the country, the bulk of which ($5.3 million) was supplied by the National Guard and the rest paid by the Army and Air Force, according to government records obtained by NJ.com.

But instead of purely heartfelt salutes to soldiers from hometown football teams, the halftime segments were reportedly part of paid promotions under federal advertising contracts for the military.

Earlier this week, U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) called out the spending as an “egregious and unnecessary waste of taxpayer dollars.”

“Those of us go to sporting events and see them honoring the heroes; you get a good feeling in your heart,” Sen. Flake told NJ.com. “Then to find out they’re doing it because they’re compensated for it, it leaves you underwhelmed. It seems a little unseemly.”

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/defense-department-paid-5-4-million-nfl-honor-troops/

I don't know if taxpayer money is still being used to advertise patriotism this way.  It seems dt thinks that's solely his job now and to hades with you if you're not buying what he's selling.  Seriously.

Sounds like trumpy and the Conservatives want to dictate how people "FEEL".  Seriously.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 60

Report: Defense Dept. paid NFL millions of taxpayer dollars to salute troops

BY Andrew Mach  May 10, 2015

Nearly $5.4 million was given to 14 NFL teams across the country, the bulk of which ($5.3 million) was supplied by the National Guard and the rest paid by the Army and Air Force, according to government records obtained by NJ.com.

But instead of purely heartfelt salutes to soldiers from hometown football teams, the halftime segments were reportedly part of paid promotions under federal advertising contracts for the military.

Earlier this week, U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) called out the spending as an “egregious and unnecessary waste of taxpayer dollars.”

“Those of us go to sporting events and see them honoring the heroes; you get a good feeling in your heart,” Sen. Flake told NJ.com. “Then to find out they’re doing it because they’re compensated for it, it leaves you underwhelmed. It seems a little unseemly.”

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/defense-department-paid-5-4-million-nfl-honor-troops/

I don't know if taxpayer money is still being used to advertise patriotism this way.  It seems dt thinks that's solely his job now and to hades with you if you're not buying what he's selling.  Seriously.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 60
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 60

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
@ Chas

Well there you go again... becoming the ad hoc responder.

I never said they would be replaced ... I said "if"... in an effort to make the point. I can't understand it for you. Because you didn't see my college football comment in context you're out in left field again.

ALL People comment based on political persuasion, but saying conservatives "worship money" is a lie... plain and simple and is an attempt to move objective viewpoints into the subjective immoral arena when the argument has no merit. It's what liberals do... a lot.

I have not accused NM of aberrant behavior, she's wrong of course in her assessment , but if I did judge another wrongly, then I'm wrong. However to suggest conservatives (as a whole) worship money is a lie and nothing to do with the conversation about the NFL. Pure unadulterated deflection.

I suggest you use the 'Quote' button and quote who you respond to and respond only to that.

You brought up replacing the players and yes you used "if". I have a right to respond to that, if ya' don't like it, too bad. You were "out in left field" even bringing up the players being replaced.

Did I say that "conservatives worship money? Please quote me if your answer is yes. Of course you can't.

You brought up more about another poster in your response to me than you did about me, I am not interested in that, you are again "out in left field".

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 60

Ahhhh, the chumps that believe what the clown tweets.......

Trump's Mostly False claim that NFL ratings are 'way down'

President Donald Trump blamed low National Football League ratings and attendance on unpatriotic players.

"NFL attendance and ratings are WAY DOWN. Boring games yes, but many stay away because they love our country. League should back U.S.," Trump tweeted on Sept. 24, 2017.

His Sunday morning tweet referred to NFL players -- most notably former 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick -- who kneel during the National Anthem in protest of police brutality. Trump had made a similar claim during a campaign rally on the Friday before for Sen. Luther Strange in Huntsville, Ala.

Trump also urged the NFL fire or suspend those players.

"If NFL fans refuse to go to games until players stop disrespecting our Flag & Country, you will see change take place fast. Fire or suspend!" Trump tweeted.

We wanted to know if ratings or attendance of NFL games were indeed "way down." We previously rated a similar claim Trump made about CNN’s ratings Pants on Fire.

Once again, Trump seems to be overstating rating declines, and we found little evidence of their political motivation.

By the numbers

We’ll begin by saying that the numbers for 2017 so far are inconclusive.

Advertising Age media reporter Anthony Crupi told us he estimated a decline of around 9 percent in ratings since last year, although the only window to face a significant decline was the 1 p.m. regional games.

But we only have full data for the first two weeks of the season — the first of which was likely impacted by Hurricane Irma — making the data set too small to draw any conclusions according to Paulsen, editor in chief of Sports Media Watch. (Paulsen’s professional name is simply Paulsen.)

Average attendance for 2017 thus far is also down — by 5 percent, while gross attendance is off 8 percent from 2016.

Trump might be referring to 2016, a year when the NFL saw a significant drop in viewership, although average game attendance increased by 3 percent from 2015 to 2016.

According to ESPN, NFL game broadcasters saw an average year-on-year drop in television viewership last season of 8 percent. Fox saw the lowest ratings since 2008 and ESPN since 2005.

But that excluded Thursday Night Football games, which Paulsen said likely would lower the percentage, and alternate viewing platforms.

"A variety of factors made the comparison versus last year skewed, including streaming on Twitter and a new partner, NBC," ESPN reported.

A new Nielsen study measuring audiences in bars, restaurants, gyms and other out-of-home venues showed that NFL viewership nearly matched 2015’s numbers. However, they didn’t compute out-of-home numbers for 2015, suggesting there might still be some discrepancy.

It’s still a modest decline, according to Paulsen, because the NFL’s ratings are usually so strong — the NFL is the most popular televised sports event in the United States. He also pointed out that isolating the NFL made little sense.

more at:  Trump's Mostly False claim that NFL ratings are 'way down'

Mostly False

BTW.....NASCAR? 

Fox/FS1 ends its 2017 NASCAR season with yet another ratings low

Fox/FS1 ends its 2017 NASCAR season with yet another ratings low Several races set record lows in bo...

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 60

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
@NM
The owners still have the stadium and will make money. They still have the franchise.

Who will lose? The players and my guess is very few are "conservative". If every player was replaced tomorrow nothing would change in society... they add very little to the fabric of America. It's a sport, a game... if everyone was replaced tomorrow, then on with the game. Look at college football.

Why is it conservatives are thrust into the conversation and must be thought of as evil by suggesting they "worship" money? Conservatives , like you and me can just be wrong about issues, or right ... but to state categorically they're money worshipers is just plain false judgement on your part.

It is part and parcel to making the other person moral aberrant when the argument fails.

I purposefully qualified my statement about conservatives. I said "many" conservatives.  Therefore not all.

The conservative editor has written an opinion piece in a conservative paper. Focused on whether the NFL will lose fans. And therefore, implicitly, lose money. 

"He" framed the win/lose to be about money. Not me. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 60

Is The NFL Shooting Itself In The "Foot"?

Nope ....

But Trump sure did put his "foot" in his mouth ..... AGAIN!!!

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Now until February 11, play this classic game online at AARP. Get in the game and play now.

jeopardy for aarp logo

Top Authors