Is The NFL Shooting Itself In The Foot?

Reply
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
259
Views

Re: Is The NFL Shooting Itself In The Foot?

259 Views
Message 21 of 60

@Richva wrote:

Nope.  More like opening the way for Trump's numbers to fall with his base. The NFL folks area the people who donated and supported Trump. Now, they are done with him.  Yes Trump is MAGA by providing a mutual target so we can all rally around his image burning in effigy.  Did you really think he could make things this bad in less than a year?


I have seen no suggestion about any burning in effigy. You'll have to expand on that.

 

On the other hand, it is your side of the "great divide" that regularly burns the American flag.

 

As to him making things bad - what has he done to make things bad that the players are unhappy about? And, again, what should he do to get them back on their feet, standing tall as proud Americans?

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
259
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
223
Views

Re: Is The NFL Shooting Itself In The Foot?

223 Views
Message 22 of 60

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@gruffstuff wrote:

Is The NFL Shooting Itself In The Foot?

 

You guys need to realize when you're being played by Trump. 

 

What has been accomplished? The NFL players aren't backing down, the NFL owners aren't backing down, the NFL isn't backing down. The protest spread, more players take part, the American people watch more NFL then ever.

 

Trump tweets himself into a corner for his own reasons and you guys all goosestep into the corner with him.

 

You think the NFL is shooting itself in the foot?

 

I think you guys are being played.


This started before Trump was President. So, there are issues that go deeper than anything he says.

 

The offensive "goosestep" adds nothing to the discussion.


So what does your post "add to the discussion"?


Hopefully, clarity and historical perspective with regards to it's origins. And focus if the meaningless and offensive "goosestep" nonsense is left out.

 

....and, so, your contribution???

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
223
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
4
Kudos
263
Views

Re: Is The NFL Shooting Itself In The Foot?

263 Views
Message 23 of 60

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:



It is part and parcel to making the other person moral aberrant when the argument fails.

 

Yes it is, so stop doing that. 

 

Well, there ya go - he/she/it who is in charge has spoken.


 


 


If I were "in charge", you wouldn't be here.


"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
4
Kudos
263
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
275
Views

Re: Is The NFL Shooting Itself In The Foot?

275 Views
Message 24 of 60

Do you know what his complaint with America is...

 

Not exactly. But whatever it is, he must be very passionate about it.

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
275
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
4
Kudos
283
Views

Re: Is The NFL Shooting Itself In The Foot?

283 Views
Message 25 of 60

This should put Der Trumpers approval down another 15 points, not because everyone supports players protesting racism but because all but his dumbest drones will finally wake up to the fact the **bleep** has no clue what to do as POTUS. He thinks his job is to stage fake camapign rallies with HIM as the centerpiece, and when he tries to do something related to Government, he starts wars or ends alliances. Only the most demented of the deplorables will continue to support him.

Report Inappropriate Content
4
Kudos
283
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
3
Kudos
285
Views

Is The NFL Shooting Itself In The Foot?

285 Views
Message 26 of 60

Trump claims NFL ratings are down (false) because of the small protests. At least they were small until his comments Friday night, now the entire league is protesting. 

 

But members of the Trump Cult react as predicted. Whatever Trump says is automatically true. They refuse to look at the facts and think for themselves.

Report Inappropriate Content
3
Kudos
285
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
284
Views

Re: Is The NFL Shooting Itself In The Foot?

284 Views
Message 27 of 60

@ChasKy53 wrote:



It is part and parcel to making the other person moral aberrant when the argument fails.

 

Yes it is, so stop doing that. 

 

Well, there ya go - he/she/it who is in charge has spoken.


 


 

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
284
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
5
Kudos
294
Views

Re: Is The NFL Shooting Itself In The Foot?

294 Views
Message 28 of 60

Nope.  More like opening the way for Trump's numbers to fall with his base. The NFL folks area the people who donated and supported Trump. Now, they are done with him.  Yes Trump is MAGA by providing a mutual target so we can all rally around his image burning in effigy.  Did you really think he could make things this bad in less than a year?

Report Inappropriate Content
5
Kudos
294
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
313
Views

Re: Is The NFL Shooting Itself In The Foot?

313 Views
Message 29 of 60

@MIseker wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Ahhhh, the chumps that believe what the clown tweets.......

 

Trump's Mostly False claim that NFL ratings are 'way down'

 

President Donald Trump blamed low National Football League ratings and attendance on unpatriotic players.

 

"NFL attendance and ratings are WAY DOWN. Boring games yes, but many stay away because they love our country. League should back U.S.," Trump tweeted on Sept. 24, 2017.

 

His Sunday morning tweet referred to NFL players -- most notably former 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick -- who kneel during the National Anthem in protest of police brutality. Trump had made a similar claim during a campaign rally on the Friday before for Sen. Luther Strange in Huntsville, Ala.

Trump also urged the NFL fire or suspend those players.

 

"If NFL fans refuse to go to games until players stop disrespecting our Flag & Country, you will see change take place fast. Fire or suspend!" Trump tweeted.

 

We wanted to know if ratings or attendance of NFL games were indeed "way down." We previously rated a similar claim Trump made about CNN’s ratings Pants on Fire.

 

Once again, Trump seems to be overstating rating declines, and we found little evidence of their political motivation.

 
By the numbers

 

We’ll begin by saying that the numbers for 2017 so far are inconclusive.

 

Advertising Age media reporter Anthony Crupi told us he estimated a decline of around 9 percent in ratings since last year, although the only window to face a significant decline was the 1 p.m. regional games.

 

But we only have full data for the first two weeks of the season — the first of which was likely impacted by Hurricane Irma — making the data set too small to draw any conclusions according to Paulsen, editor in chief of Sports Media Watch. (Paulsen’s professional name is simply Paulsen.)

Average attendance for 2017 thus far is also down — by 5 percent, while gross attendance is off 8 percent from 2016.

 

Trump might be referring to 2016, a year when the NFL saw a significant drop in viewership, although average game attendance increased by 3 percent from 2015 to 2016.

 

According to ESPN, NFL game broadcasters saw an average year-on-year drop in television viewership last season of 8 percent. Fox saw the lowest ratings since 2008 and ESPN since 2005.

But that excluded Thursday Night Football games, which Paulsen said likely would lower the percentage, and alternate viewing platforms.

 

"A variety of factors made the comparison versus last year skewed, including streaming on Twitter and a new partner, NBC," ESPN reported.

 

A new Nielsen study measuring audiences in bars, restaurants, gyms and other out-of-home venues showed that NFL viewership nearly matched 2015’s numbers. However, they didn’t compute out-of-home numbers for 2015, suggesting there might still be some discrepancy.

 

It’s still a modest decline, according to Paulsen, because the NFL’s ratings are usually so strong — the NFL is the most popular televised sports event in the United States. He also pointed out that isolating the NFL made little sense.

 

more at:  Trump's Mostly False claim that NFL ratings are 'way down'

 

Mostly False

 

 

BTW.....NASCAR? 

 

Fox/FS1 ends its 2017 NASCAR season with yet another ratings low

 

Fox/FS1 ends its 2017 NASCAR season with yet another ratings low Several races set record lows in bo...


When I reached the age of settling down, i was all about watching football. Usfl in the spring..DIE HARD Michigan fan when it was Bo and Woody..I had to body block someone that was going to kick their tv over a field goal. Cable TV in the 80's..i had a selection of 6 games at 1 and at 4. I had my faves in each division, and was excited over any game I watched..until one day in the late 90's points out Im shaking after Michigan squeeked out a win over Notre Dame. Yes, physically shaking, pulse racing. I lived 10 miles as the crow flies from Notre Dame, and when Michigan beat them, I went to south bend in my michigan gear. well, I decided not to put that much into it, but still watch.

 

I find that as we get older ( boomer generation ) we watch less,and care less lol. I find I like college football better because of the atmosphere of the game..drunken naked students, bands battling..the enthusiasm. SO MY football ratings..3 college games on saturday, maybe one NFL game on sunday, other days optional.

 

Thats why the NFL is losing ratings..an aging population. period.


LOL....love the story,,,,,and I'm with ya.

 

To your point, the Minnesota Vikings just hired an 18 year old who co-wrote a book with his father about marketing to generation Z

 

In hiring of teenage consultant, Vikings take long-term view of fan base


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
313
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
326
Views

Re: Is The NFL Shooting Itself In The Foot?

326 Views
Message 30 of 60

I don't know if taxpayer money is still being used to advertise patriotism this way.  It seems dt thinks that's solely his job now and to hades with you if you're not buying what he's selling.  Seriously.

 

The government stopped paying for patriotism in this manner, I think in 2015.

Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
326
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Now until February 11, play this classic game online at AARP. Get in the game and play now.


jeopardy for aarp logo

Top Authors