Honored Social Butterfly

Is California's NPP Voting rules gonna have a Sanders Problem?

Simply put, this is the way I am understanding this debacle:

From:  California SOS - https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/political-parties/no-party-preference/ 

Voters who registered to vote without stating a political party preference are known as No Party Preference (NPP) voters. NPP voters were formerly known as "decline-to-state" or “DTS” voters.

For presidential primary elections: NPP voters will receive a “non-partisan” ballot that does not include presidential candidates.. . . . An NPP voter may request the ballot of one of the political parties, if any, that authorizes NPP voters to vote in the presidential primary election.

It seems many of these type of registered voters (of which are the biggest group in the country - Independents) failed to acknowledge the post card that was sent to them earlier in the year as notification of this procedure in CA..

Politico 02/21/2020 - Sanders warns California primary could disenfranchise his independent base

NY Mag - 02/27/2020 - The Coming Freak-out Over the California Primary 

Do we have a Democratic Presidential Primary Bru-Ha-Ha beginning?

Bernie always makes the Convention very interesting and he really isn't even a Democrat.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

From:  California SOS - https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/political-parties/no-party-preference/ 

Voters who registered to vote without stating a political party preference are known as No Party Preference (NPP) voters. NPP voters were formerly known as "decline-to-state" or “DTS” voters.

For presidential primary elections: NPP voters will receive a “non-partisan” ballot that does not include presidential candidates.. . . . An NPP voter may request the ballot of one of the political parties, if any, that authorizes NPP voters to vote in the presidential primary election.

It seems many of these type of registered voters (of which are the biggest group in the country - Independents) failed to acknowledge the post card that was sent to them earlier in the year as notification of this procedure in CA..

Politico 02/21/2020 - Sanders warns California primary could disenfranchise his independent base

Bernie always makes the Convention very interesting and he really isn't even a Democrat.

Well at least they can vote. In Ga. they just refuse to register people to vote that they think are not far right Reb. Here is a suggestion. All people should work on their own states voting problems first. Right now Ga is far worse than CA.

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

To answer your question, I think so.  However, California will allow voters to request a ballot for either the Democratic, Libertarian or American Independent Party when they show up to vote.  If they have already received their ballot in the mail, they can also choose to take that to a polling place and exchange it for one of the three parties.  So many NPP voters will still able to cast a primary vote.  This will probably work in Biden's favor so he at least exceeds the 15% threshold that is needed for delegates.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@sp362 

So why was / is Bernie Sanders mad about this?

Yes, the postcard instructions from their SOS told them they could request a party ballot - one of the three listed.

But Bernie's campaign balked since the said it would be overlooked, tossed or not seen until after the deadline to get a correct ballot.  

I think I read somewhere that CA had sent out over 16 million mail- in ballots - but had to date only about 3 million returned.  I think the people have until this Friday to get them in.  So maybe you are right and it will all work out - we will just have to see how Sanders feels once the tally in CA is done - a week or more is the time line.

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

@sp362 

So why was / is Bernie Sanders mad about this?

Yes, the postcard instructions from their SOS told them they could request a party ballot - one of the three listed.

But Bernie's campaign balked since the said it would be overlooked, tossed or not seen until after the deadline to get a correct ballot.  

I think I read somewhere that CA had sent out over 16 million mail- in ballots - but had to date only about 3 million returned.  I think the people have until this Friday to get them in.  So maybe you are right and it will all work out - we will just have to see how Sanders feels once the tally in CA is done - a week or more is the time line.

Both articles are referencing comments he made on 2/21.  At that time I think he was hoping that he could keep other candidates from hitting the magic 15% threshold and thus walking away with almost all of the delegates.  Since South Carolina, I am thinking his thinking on this has probably changed.

My belief, is that any hard core Bernie independents had already registered for the Democratic Primary with the intention of voting for Bernie.  I think the independents that didn't bother to declare a party preference  were the more conservative ones who likely would have voted for Biden, Buttigeg, Klobuchar (etc).

If I were Biden my biggest concern would not be the NPP voters, but all of the early voting that has already happened (not just the mail-ins).

With these issues in mind, and since California requires a mail in ballot to be postmarked by today and not received, I think you are correct that there will be some kind of bru-ha-ha until the official delegates have been awarded.

Since there are more things on the ballot than just the Presidential Primary and it is so easy to vote in one of the three primaries I listed if you want to, I personally think Bernie's argument is rather weak.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Bernie is an old grouch who complains about everything. The election is rigged against him.

HMMM..... where have I heard that before?

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

And I was convinced that Independents in Ca would vote for Biden. now. who knows.

no name
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png