Learn how to spot and avoid common scams with AARP's Fraud Resource Center. Try it today!

Reply
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
172
Views

Re: Inflation hits 6-year high

172 Views
Message 1 of 12

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

This is the effect of artificially low interest rates for eight years. Does that fact count as howling at the moon??


Absolutily NOT.And your comment is indeed "howling at the moon".

 

The effect of the low interest rates was to allow the economy to recover from the financial disaster Republican policies, practices and deregulation had plunged the World into. The Fed rates are STILL at historic lows.

 

There was NO control on prices, like Nixon tried and failed with.

 

There was NO "wage push" inflation because the jobs created after the Republican crash paid LESS than lost in that crash.

 

There was NO massive Government spending up to and including WWII that got us out of the previous Republican induced World economic disaster. The nearly a Trillion jrbush gave the banks to save their investors and the hundreds of billions President Obama gave to States to rebuild infrastructure pale in comparison to FDRs effort.

 

There WAS OPTIMISM and CONFIDENCE created by having Barack Obama, a good and honest man as President. That alone was enough to prevent panic.

 

Now we have an emotional and intellectual infant starting trade wars because he has no clue what a "trade deficit" means, let alone how to make it better.

 

It is the knowledge that Der Trumper is crazy enough to totally wreck the World economy that is driving up inflation. UNCERTAINTY, thy name is TRUMP.


It sounds like you agree that interest rates were kept artificially low and now, as they rise, natural corrections in the economy will occur. Did I read you right?

 

 


I can only surmise you read a Republican bumper-sticker to reach that erroneous conclusion about the cause of today's inflation. Nothing "artificial" about the Fed's activity - people know that, unless they studied economics under Ayn Rand.

 

I'll try and keep is simple for you: Prices are increasing (inflation) because Trump has caused the price we pay for all our imports to increase while decreasing the value of our exports by driving away our regular customers.

 

In today's economy, virtually everything we buy has a "foreign component", so by placing tariffs on those components, Trump forces the price up.

 

This happens without any increase in wages so everyone in the 99% is also taking a cut in real income that greatly exceeds whatever tax cut they got.

 

The fact the Fed discount rate increased some time ago by less than 1% cannot be blamed for Trump's 2.4% inflation last month alone.


Near zero interest rates are not natural and they did not result from market forces but from actions of the government. That is economics, not a bumper sticker.

 

Since you are keeping it simple for me, can you follow up on your claim of the government paying 75% of the cost of colleges and universities prior to the Reagan tax cuts?

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
172
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
176
Views

Re: Inflation hits 6-year high

176 Views
Message 2 of 12

@CriticalThinking wrote:

It doesn't matter why interest rates were low the past few years, what matters is why they're rising. And there's no disagreement among economists reference the reason rates are rising.

 

  • Rising national debt made worse by a GOP tax plan which will added almost $2 Trillion to the debt
  • Possibly the largest spending bill ever passed from an all Republican Congress


@CriticalThinking wrote:

It doesn't matter why interest rates were low the past few years, what matters is why they're rising. And there's no disagreement among economists reference the reason rates are rising.

 

  • Rising national debt made worse by a GOP tax plan which will added almost $2 Trillion to the debt
  • Possibly the largest spending bill ever passed from an all Republican Congress

Nice dodge. They were unnaturally low for eight years so, as they slowly return to their natural levels, there will be an effect.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
176
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
192
Views

Re: Inflation hits 6-year high

192 Views
Message 3 of 12

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

This is the effect of artificially low interest rates for eight years. Does that fact count as howling at the moon??


Absolutily NOT.And your comment is indeed "howling at the moon".

 

The effect of the low interest rates was to allow the economy to recover from the financial disaster Republican policies, practices and deregulation had plunged the World into. The Fed rates are STILL at historic lows.

 

There was NO control on prices, like Nixon tried and failed with.

 

There was NO "wage push" inflation because the jobs created after the Republican crash paid LESS than lost in that crash.

 

There was NO massive Government spending up to and including WWII that got us out of the previous Republican induced World economic disaster. The nearly a Trillion jrbush gave the banks to save their investors and the hundreds of billions President Obama gave to States to rebuild infrastructure pale in comparison to FDRs effort.

 

There WAS OPTIMISM and CONFIDENCE created by having Barack Obama, a good and honest man as President. That alone was enough to prevent panic.

 

Now we have an emotional and intellectual infant starting trade wars because he has no clue what a "trade deficit" means, let alone how to make it better.

 

It is the knowledge that Der Trumper is crazy enough to totally wreck the World economy that is driving up inflation. UNCERTAINTY, thy name is TRUMP.


It sounds like you agree that interest rates were kept artificially low and now, as they rise, natural corrections in the economy will occur. Did I read you right?

 

 


I can only surmise you read a Republican bumper-sticker to reach that erroneous conclusion about the cause of today's inflation. Nothing "artificial" about the Fed's activity - people know that, unless they studied economics under Ayn Rand.

 

I'll try and keep is simple for you: Prices are increasing (inflation) because Trump has caused the price we pay for all our imports to increase while decreasing the value of our exports by driving away our regular customers.

 

In today's economy, virtually everything we buy has a "foreign component", so by placing tariffs on those components, Trump forces the price up.

 

This happens without any increase in wages so everyone in the 99% is also taking a cut in real income that greatly exceeds whatever tax cut they got.

 

The fact the Fed discount rate increased some time ago by less than 1% cannot be blamed for Trump's 2.4% inflation last month alone.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
192
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
218
Views

Inflation hits 6-year high

218 Views
Message 4 of 12

It doesn't matter why interest rates were low the past few years, what matters is why they're rising. And there's no disagreement among economists reference the reason rates are rising.

 

  • Rising national debt made worse by a GOP tax plan which will added almost $2 Trillion to the debt
  • Possibly the largest spending bill ever passed from an all Republican Congress
Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
218
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
219
Views

Re: Inflation hits 6-year high

219 Views
Message 5 of 12

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

This is the effect of artificially low interest rates for eight years. Does that fact count as howling at the moon??


Absolutily NOT.And your comment is indeed "howling at the moon".

 

The effect of the low interest rates was to allow the economy to recover from the financial disaster Republican policies, practices and deregulation had plunged the World into. The Fed rates are STILL at historic lows.

 

There was NO control on prices, like Nixon tried and failed with.

 

There was NO "wage push" inflation because the jobs created after the Republican crash paid LESS than lost in that crash.

 

There was NO massive Government spending up to and including WWII that got us out of the previous Republican induced World economic disaster. The nearly a Trillion jrbush gave the banks to save their investors and the hundreds of billions President Obama gave to States to rebuild infrastructure pale in comparison to FDRs effort.

 

There WAS OPTIMISM and CONFIDENCE created by having Barack Obama, a good and honest man as President. That alone was enough to prevent panic.

 

Now we have an emotional and intellectual infant starting trade wars because he has no clue what a "trade deficit" means, let alone how to make it better.

 

It is the knowledge that Der Trumper is crazy enough to totally wreck the World economy that is driving up inflation. UNCERTAINTY, thy name is TRUMP.


It sounds like you agree that interest rates were kept artificially low and now, as they rise, natural corrections in the economy will occur. Did I read you right?

 

But then you went back to Nixon and got lost. 

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
219
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
221
Views

Re: Inflation hits 6-year high

221 Views
Message 6 of 12

@umbarch64 wrote:

My dog was right.  He said that was a coyote out there yipping up a storm.  That's what I heard too and that's what it was when I heard it before, so I believed he got it right.  Now that's about as far as you can push this 'howling at the moon' and fact thingy I just read. [I love that word]. 

 

So...facts are really hard to come by. Some people would even say there aren't any 'facts' except the ones you choose to allow to exist in your own mind. They have a point.  In any case, to arrive at 'a fact', you'd need to 'Know The Truth'.  Can't see how it would be any other way, can you?  Nobody 'knows' the truth.  They only 'think they know'.  That would apply across the board, no exceptions.  Real thinkers admit that.  Phony ones don't.

 

Since 'the donald' and his crew surfaced, Truth has become increasingly hard to come by.  Even to the point a thinking person would hesitate to say a supposition was 'probable' as opposed to possible. "Based on what?" is the litany.  Yes, indeed...'truth' has been distorted so much no one knows what it might actually be.  In economic market terms, a guy might say truth was in exceedingly short supply.

 

Well...ALL things economic are a human creation.  The root of all evil is what?  C'mon...you know the answer.

 

 It was hard to know what truth and fact was before, but now.......hoooo,boy!  So....a propriety claim to have the 'facts' from a trump supporter seems just a little....how you say...absurd?

 

Was that fun?


Does that mean that you do or do not agree that the interest rates were kept artificially low for eight years and a natural correction is occurring?

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
221
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
232
Views

Re: Inflation hits 6-year high

232 Views
Message 7 of 12

@rk9152 wrote:

This is the effect of artificially low interest rates for eight years. Does that fact count as howling at the moon??


Absolutily NOT.And your comment is indeed "howling at the moon".

 

The effect of the low interest rates was to allow the economy to recover from the financial disaster Republican policies, practices and deregulation had plunged the World into. The Fed rates are STILL at historic lows.

 

There was NO control on prices, like Nixon tried and failed with.

 

There was NO "wage push" inflation because the jobs created after the Republican crash paid LESS than lost in that crash.

 

There was NO massive Government spending up to and including WWII that got us out of the previous Republican induced World economic disaster. The nearly a Trillion jrbush gave the banks to save their investors and the hundreds of billions President Obama gave to States to rebuild infrastructure pale in comparison to FDRs effort.

 

There WAS OPTIMISM and CONFIDENCE created by having Barack Obama, a good and honest man as President. That alone was enough to prevent panic.

 

Now we have an emotional and intellectual infant starting trade wars because he has no clue what a "trade deficit" means, let alone how to make it better.

 

It is the knowledge that Der Trumper is crazy enough to totally wreck the World economy that is driving up inflation. UNCERTAINTY, thy name is TRUMP.

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
232
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
240
Views

Re: Inflation hits 6-year high

240 Views
Message 8 of 12

My dog was right.  He said that was a coyote out there yipping up a storm.  That's what I heard too and that's what it was when I heard it before, so I believed he got it right.  Now that's about as far as you can push this 'howling at the moon' and fact thingy I just read. [I love that word]. 

 

So...facts are really hard to come by. Some people would even say there aren't any 'facts' except the ones you choose to allow to exist in your own mind. They have a point.  In any case, to arrive at 'a fact', you'd need to 'Know The Truth'.  Can't see how it would be any other way, can you?  Nobody 'knows' the truth.  They only 'think they know'.  That would apply across the board, no exceptions.  Real thinkers admit that.  Phony ones don't.

 

Since 'the donald' and his crew surfaced, Truth has become increasingly hard to come by.  Even to the point a thinking person would hesitate to say a supposition was 'probable' as opposed to possible. "Based on what?" is the litany.  Yes, indeed...'truth' has been distorted so much no one knows what it might actually be.  In economic market terms, a guy might say truth was in exceedingly short supply.

 

Well...ALL things economic are a human creation.  The root of all evil is what?  C'mon...you know the answer.

 

 It was hard to know what truth and fact was before, but now.......hoooo,boy!  So....a propriety claim to have the 'facts' from a trump supporter seems just a little....how you say...absurd?

 

Was that fun?

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
240
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
266
Views

Re: Inflation hits 6-year high

266 Views
Message 9 of 12

This is the effect of artificially low interest rates for eight years. Does that fact count as howling at the moon??

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
266
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
278
Views

Re: Inflation hits 6-year high

278 Views
Message 10 of 12

If this happened under Obama the trump supporters would be  whining and "howling at the moon".  We ain't seen nothin' yet, when the tariffs take hold the cost of living will rise even more to pay for the tariffs. Trump is a fool.

 

The FED will raise rates slowly, to slowly at first, then they'll come to a " OH MY GOD " point and raise rates to quickly.

 

Then BOOM

 

Recession, Great Recession, or worse.

 

So make money while you can, but pay down debt and save money for a rainy day, it might be a CAT 5 storm.

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
278
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!


close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors