Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Kudos
Views

Re: Incorrect Assessments of White Country Males

Message 1 of 30

Thank you for your participation. This thread is now closed.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 30

@Soosie wrote:

Sounds more to me like the lack of education is in another area.

I point this out because this board should not be designed for one group of left thinking people to be able to throw up insults without a hint of what they speak. 

I would like to see posters not only called out for insulting an individual but also a class of people......whites, Christians, etc.  It is as wrong to allow these insults as it is to take a poster down if they say anything about a black or Muslim.

I find it interesting that you seem to be "taking down" a class of people with your own post.

Your insults regarding this group of people is self evident in your writing.

Isn't that violating your own self-imposed parameters?

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 30
Mick, Don't you think your demand for a name is either bullying or baiting? Funny, I get singled out here so often. Don't you think I have been here long enough to spot this type of post?
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 30

@lk152 wrote:

Soosie, your post is spot on correct. Not every man who lives or grew up in the "country" is an uneducated hick. I have known many men and women who grew up or live in the "country" away from urban centers who are very well educated and hardly poor. 

I live in Ohio, perhaps one of the most important "swing states" which is evenly divided between both political parties. If you slice and dice the voting patterns in Ohio's 88 counties, the majority of Ohio counties voted Republican. This seems to fit since most of Ohio's counties are more rural than urban. But among Ohio's rural counties there is a wide disparity of wealth. Foor example, there was a feature recently in the Cleveland Plain Dealer which is Ohio's largest circulation newspaper about the difference and disparity between two of Ohio's rural counties that voted more than 70% Republican in the 2012 and 2016 Presidential election as well as the 2018 mid term election for governor of Ohio. 

One county is Mercer County which is in western Ohio on the Indiana border. Mercer County is one of the whitest counties in Ohio and is very prosperous. Its major economy is agriculture and it has some of the most productive farms in the world. It voted 77% for the Republican candidate for governor this year and about the same for Trump in 2016 and Romney in 2012. Needless to say Mercer County is solidly Republican and that has been the fact for a long time. In 1964, Mercer County voted strongly for Goldwater for President.

Ohio's farmers are hardly the country bumpkins that many people in the big cities picture farmers. I knew a vocational agriculture teacher back in the 1970s who was a farmer himself and grew up on a farm. He told me that almost all Ohio farmers (except the Amish) are college educated. Like this teacher, most received a degree in agriculture from The Ohio State University which has one of the largest Agricultural Departments in the nation. Modern farming is not just plowing and planting in the spring and harvesting in the fall. So good farm land and good farming techniques make it very prosperous. 

The other county profiled is Vinton County in southern Ohio roughly 70 miles south southeast of Columbus in Ohio's Appalachian region. Vinton County is Ohio's least populous and one of the state's poorest counties. It has the distinction of having the highest per capita rate of opioid overdose deaths and also has one of the lowest levels of education among adults. Coal mining used to be the dominant driver of the economy, but the coal mines closed decades ago and it seems that progress has passed this county by. It reminds me of many of the rural counties I used to visit and work in eastern Kentucky back in the mid 1980s when I was living in Lexington where any young person with any ambition and smarts gets out as soon as possible. 

Althought Mercer County and Vinton County are in the same state, they are worlds apart; economically and physically. Vinton County is hilly and has little good farmland. Most farms in Vinton County are small single family farms. The soil is rocky and thin and the landscape is hilly in Vinton County. 

But Vinton County voted more than 70% for the Republican candidate for governor this year as well as for Trump in 2016 and Romney in 2012. Vinton County is roughly 97% white and has the highest per capita use of food stamps among Ohio's 88 counties. Until recently Vinton County was primarily Democratic, but since Reagan has been voting Republican in presidential elections. 

A large part of this divide between rural and urban voters is that for the most part rural voters have traditionally been Republicans for a long time, like Mercer County. Like my father in law, who was a small town Republican from a rural county; he believed that there was no such thing as a bad Republican. 

However, for the most part the Democratic candidates have not been connecting with the rural voters, especially those who are poor like in Vinton County Ohio. Those voters embraced FDR's New Deal and supported LBJ's Great Society program and also supported the war in Vietnam. But when the Democratic party became more identified with anti Vietnam protesters and intellectuals from the college campuses, they lost the rural voters. 

Ironically Vinton County borders on Athens County Ohio which is the home of Ohio University, a large state university which happpens to be the oldest in Ohio, founded in 1804, just a year after Ohio became a state. Athens County is the most Democratic county in Ohio, voting more than 70% for the Democratic candidate for governor this year, Hillary Clinton in 2016 and Obama in 2012. The university is about the only thing going in Athens County and the university accounts for most of the population of Athens County. 

Unfortunately - I have to disagree - the Title of the Post might have merit & the arguments about Stereotypes AS WELL

But for those of us who post here daily - the intention of this post is suspect & it follows a long pattern of baiting other members into falling into the trap of crossing some obscure line in the TOS perpetated by others who have a - Axe to Grind - based on Partisan sensitivities

For Example - The Nebulous Untimely Claim about - "Some Time Back - A Poster" - when? - what poster?

Support the claim - a "poster here said that Trump was elected President because country, white males are not educated"

I never saw that post & I read most posts made in this Forum

Who was the - "HE" - referred to in the first pararagraph - doesn't this person if they even exist deserve a opportunity to defend themselves & what they were alleged to have written?

I grew up on a Farm

I am White

I am uneducated in the sense that I have never attended College or achieved any College degree

I'm sure I would have been offnded if someone actually wrote that

Of course I am educated enough to know better than to vote for a Lying Con Man Hypocrite Like Trump - but that probably says more about my lifes experiences & common sense than my formal education

So what I wish as a uneducated white male who grew up on a farm is that everyone understand that it seems the author of this thread is the one actually fostering stereotypes

The one where it's assumed that uneducated white males who grew up on farms would automatically be Trump supporters in the first place

I'm a living breathing testimony to the exact opposite being the Reality

I also wish AARP would list categories of who complains about other posters - how many Posters they have been successful in getting banned and what they complain about and most importantly when a user gets banned for supposedly violating the TOS - who complained and about what

I envision a system based upon who Kudos the most - who Authors the most posts etc.

Now that would really take all these kinds of posts that are simply back-handed attempts to slander specific members of specific political ideologies using double-entendre & claims of imaginary posts by unamed authors out from behind the curtains once and for all

Happy New Year - My Work Here Has Been Completed - For the Time Being.........................

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 30

@MIseker wrote:

So point out where I am incorrect?  Don't you have anything to say about the topic instead of attacking Soosie and I for our opinions?   We were commenting on the topic, was you?  The topic itself if a blanket accusation of Whites and males.  You have anything on the topic besides one liners attacking others' posts?

Pointing out the hypocricy of snowflakes. 

What makes you an authority that you can recognize hypocrisy?  Isn't your post bordering on a personal attack?  And completely off-topic?  What makes your opinion paramount to mine?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 30
Neither of us knows. That’s the whole point. You think the worst of people, and I think the best. So we will always disagree.

When a large family like this is in the mall, she is pregnant and they walk past everyone with no regard for the other person's space, I don't think they are the best people. Attitude, respect for others in a mall area are important.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 30

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

There ya go lumping liberals and telling them how to act or believe. The very thing suzy complained about in her topic.

So point out where I am incorrect?  Don't you have anything to say about the topic instead of attacking Soosie and I for our opinions?   We were commenting on the topic, was you?  The topic itself if a blanket accusation of Whites and males.  You have anything on the topic besides one liners attacking others' posts?

Pointing out the hypocricy of snowflakes. 

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 30

Soosie, your post is spot on correct. Not every man who lives or grew up in the "country" is an uneducated hick. I have known many men and women who grew up or live in the "country" away from urban centers who are very well educated and hardly poor. 

I live in Ohio, perhaps one of the most important "swing states" which is evenly divided between both political parties. If you slice and dice the voting patterns in Ohio's 88 counties, the majority of Ohio counties voted Republican. This seems to fit since most of Ohio's counties are more rural than urban. But among Ohio's rural counties there is a wide disparity of wealth. Foor example, there was a feature recently in the Cleveland Plain Dealer which is Ohio's largest circulation newspaper about the difference and disparity between two of Ohio's rural counties that voted more than 70% Republican in the 2012 and 2016 Presidential election as well as the 2018 mid term election for governor of Ohio. 

One county is Mercer County which is in western Ohio on the Indiana border. Mercer County is one of the whitest counties in Ohio and is very prosperous. Its major economy is agriculture and it has some of the most productive farms in the world. It voted 77% for the Republican candidate for governor this year and about the same for Trump in 2016 and Romney in 2012. Needless to say Mercer County is solidly Republican and that has been the fact for a long time. In 1964, Mercer County voted strongly for Goldwater for President.

Ohio's farmers are hardly the country bumpkins that many people in the big cities picture farmers. I knew a vocational agriculture teacher back in the 1970s who was a farmer himself and grew up on a farm. He told me that almost all Ohio farmers (except the Amish) are college educated. Like this teacher, most received a degree in agriculture from The Ohio State University which has one of the largest Agricultural Departments in the nation. Modern farming is not just plowing and planting in the spring and harvesting in the fall. So good farm land and good farming techniques make it very prosperous. 

The other county profiled is Vinton County in southern Ohio roughly 70 miles south southeast of Columbus in Ohio's Appalachian region. Vinton County is Ohio's least populous and one of the state's poorest counties. It has the distinction of having the highest per capita rate of opioid overdose deaths and also has one of the lowest levels of education among adults. Coal mining used to be the dominant driver of the economy, but the coal mines closed decades ago and it seems that progress has passed this county by. It reminds me of many of the rural counties I used to visit and work in eastern Kentucky back in the mid 1980s when I was living in Lexington where any young person with any ambition and smarts gets out as soon as possible. 

Althought Mercer County and Vinton County are in the same state, they are worlds apart; economically and physically. Vinton County is hilly and has little good farmland. Most farms in Vinton County are small single family farms. The soil is rocky and thin and the landscape is hilly in Vinton County. 

But Vinton County voted more than 70% for the Republican candidate for governor this year as well as for Trump in 2016 and Romney in 2012. Vinton County is roughly 97% white and has the highest per capita use of food stamps among Ohio's 88 counties. Until recently Vinton County was primarily Democratic, but since Reagan has been voting Republican in presidential elections. 

A large part of this divide between rural and urban voters is that for the most part rural voters have traditionally been Republicans for a long time, like Mercer County. Like my father in law, who was a small town Republican from a rural county; he believed that there was no such thing as a bad Republican. 

However, for the most part the Democratic candidates have not been connecting with the rural voters, especially those who are poor like in Vinton County Ohio. Those voters embraced FDR's New Deal and supported LBJ's Great Society program and also supported the war in Vietnam. But when the Democratic party became more identified with anti Vietnam protesters and intellectuals from the college campuses, they lost the rural voters. 

Ironically Vinton County borders on Athens County Ohio which is the home of Ohio University, a large state university which happpens to be the oldest in Ohio, founded in 1804, just a year after Ohio became a state. Athens County is the most Democratic county in Ohio, voting more than 70% for the Democratic candidate for governor this year, Hillary Clinton in 2016 and Obama in 2012. The university is about the only thing going in Athens County and the university accounts for most of the population of Athens County. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 30

@Soosie wrote:
Why do you think he was unemployed? Many (most?) middle class jobs aren’t M-F 9-5 and haven't been for a long time.

How do you know this was the situation? Do you think this is a good time to be shopping and creating more pregnancies? Is it a good time to run up your phone bill? I hate to burst your bubble, but not everyone wants to work. If it is to one's advantage to not work and draw from the Government, unless they have some inner desire to better themselves, this is the route they take. I have been involved with too many programs where the system allows for this behavior. I have heard people say they can make more staying at home. Sad that it is this way, but it is. I'm not sure how you have gotten the distorted view that everyone is a victim. A lot of people are players. This will run through generations because it is taught. Sometimes people have to get to the point they need to depend on themselves for basics. Until that happens and there are no more soft touches available, the trend will always be there.

Neither of us knows. That’s the whole point. You think the worst of people, and I think the best. So we will always disagree.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 30

Double post.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors