Refresh your driving skills and you could save on auto insurance! Take the AARP Smart Driver course.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: In the US, right-wing violence is on the rise

Message 11 of 71

@john258 wrote:

Here are some underpinnings for this subject. Right Wing conservative - Keep things as they are, and single person or small group rule. Liberal - Move forwarded to improve things, and all take part and use government to help that. Check history and you will find just about all wars were started by right wing (Kings, Dictators ). Our country was formed by liberals who broke away from the King who responded by war. WW 1 was a war started by the far right kings of Europe. WW2 was started by far right dictator Hitler. If we followed far right we might still have horse and wagons. Education will be of a liberal mode as it moves us forwarded to new things, and that applies to govt when it works. Who gave us the computer, TV, most new drugs, electricity grid, and had a hand in just about everything else that has improved the world. What have the far right given us. I will let the far tell us as I really can not think of much positive. They will say freedom but that is not true and the creation of this country proved that.

By what definition are our Founding Fathers Liberal and dictators Conservative?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 71

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@Cirice wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Cirice wrote:

I don't think we want to further divide our society with Liberal schools and Conservative schools as the goal. Sure a tilt is inevitable but it seems that is an environment where kids should be exposed to a wide range of thinking without "pushing" in one direction or the other.

As to the article - what is "right-wing" about Adkins? I think that term (as well as "left-wing") needs some definition and understanding. As an example, because I consider myself to be Conservative politically, we have posters that believe I am alt-right.

I agree. However, contrary to what most conservatives believe, there is not a "left wing takeover of universities", nor are most universities hotbeds of liberalism. In fact, college attendance is associated with students becoming more tolerant of both liberal and conservative views. Higher education exposes students to experiences that teach them how to think rather than what to think, which is exactly what it should do.

As to the article - Adkins self-identified as "right wing", "conservative", and "Republican" so that is how he was described in the article.

Yes he did and yes he was. But the killer part is a separate issue.

As to the leftward tilt of universities - we will have to agree to disagree on that.

What "killer" part? I don't recall the article referring to Adkins as a killer. The article is about rising right-wing violence, which is factual and fair reporting.

As to the "leftward tilt of universities",  we can agree that rightwing beliefs are in opposition to higher learning.

And regardless of what any Right Wing poster has posted in this thread ............ Right Wing violence is on the rise.

A case can be made that violence is on the rise - but Right Wing??

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/09/25/baltimore-homicide-murder-rate-fbi-statistics-death-c...

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 71

@Cirice wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Cirice wrote:

I don't think we want to further divide our society with Liberal schools and Conservative schools as the goal. Sure a tilt is inevitable but it seems that is an environment where kids should be exposed to a wide range of thinking without "pushing" in one direction or the other.

As to the article - what is "right-wing" about Adkins? I think that term (as well as "left-wing") needs some definition and understanding. As an example, because I consider myself to be Conservative politically, we have posters that believe I am alt-right.

I agree. However, contrary to what most conservatives believe, there is not a "left wing takeover of universities", nor are most universities hotbeds of liberalism. In fact, college attendance is associated with students becoming more tolerant of both liberal and conservative views. Higher education exposes students to experiences that teach them how to think rather than what to think, which is exactly what it should do.

As to the article - Adkins self-identified as "right wing", "conservative", and "Republican" so that is how he was described in the article.

As to the leftward tilt of universities - we will have to agree to disagree on that.

What "killer" part? I don't recall the article referring to Adkins as a killer. The article is about rising right-wing violence, which is factual and fair reporting.

Right you are - "machete attacker", the victim got lucky.

As to the "leftward tilt of universities",  we can agree that rightwing beliefs are in opposition to higher learning.  No, we cannot agree on that. But, some can offer such irrational nonsense. I'd say that the use of universities for indoctrination rather than opening minds would be the antithesis of "higher learning".

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 71

Here are some underpinnings for this subject. Right Wing conservative - Keep things as they are, and single person or small group rule. Liberal - Move forwarded to improve things, and all take part and use government to help that. Check history and you will find just about all wars were started by right wing (Kings, Dictators ). Our country was formed by liberals who broke away from the King who responded by war. WW 1 was a war started by the far right kings of Europe. WW2 was started by far right dictator Hitler. If we followed far right we might still have horse and wagons. Education will be of a liberal mode as it moves us forwarded to new things, and that applies to govt when it works. Who gave us the computer, TV, most new drugs, electricity grid, and had a hand in just about everything else that has improved the world. What have the far right given us. I will let the far tell us as I really can not think of much positive. They will say freedom but that is not true and the creation of this country proved that.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 71

@Cirice wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Cirice wrote:

As to the "leftward tilt of universities",  we can agree that rightwing beliefs are in opposition to higher learning.

And regardless of what any Right Wing poster has posted in this thread ............ Right Wing violence is on the rise.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 71

@rk9152 wrote:

@Cirice wrote:

Assume nothing. Question everything. And start thinking.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 71

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Adkins felt persecuted because nobody at a non-Religeous college/University is likely to accept his Foxbot nonsense of Conspiracy Theories and unsuportable racism and sexism that now constitutes the Republican Agenda.

If some of our Foxbots feel calling out lies and bigotry is "harrasment", they have really swallowed the Right Wing hate designed to conquor by dividing. By trying to suggest this nazi was "pushed into violence" they are condoning and encouraging others to follow his resort to bloody violence when others do not accept their moronic arguments as gospel the way he and the rest of the sheeple in Rush's flock do.

I saw nothing about Foxbots or Rush in the article. Did I miss it or did you make that up?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 71

@Cirice wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 71

Adkins felt persecuted because nobody at a non-Religeous college/University is likely to accept his Foxbot nonsense of Conspiracy Theories and unsuportable racism and sexism that now constitutes the Republican Agenda.

If some of our Foxbots feel calling out lies and bigotry is "harrasment", they have really swallowed the Right Wing hate designed to conquor by dividing. By trying to suggest this nazi was "pushed into violence" they are condoning and encouraging others to follow his resort to bloody violence when others do not accept their moronic arguments as gospel the way he and the rest of the sheeple in Rush's flock do.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 71

@rk9152 wrote:

@Cirice wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Cirice wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Cirice wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Cirice wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Where have you ever seen a Conservative defend violence? On the other hand there is the left's defense of antifa.

You did it right here in this thread when you said, "Mr. Ba Tran, etal, it just goes to show the effects of the left wing take over of universities and refusal to allow for openness in dialogue - hey, they applaud antifa shutting down any "unapproved" speech.

Granted, the guy (Adkins) is a nut job but it is the environment that tipped him over the edge.

I look forward to an op/ed dealing with that aspect of the violence in our nation these days."

You are defending right-wing terrorism (violence) when you blame it on anything or anyone other than the right-wing terrorist.

Asking for balance in reporting is hardly "defending". 

Blaming a made up "left wing takeover of universities" to defend a machete attack on people of a differing political affiliation is hardly asking for balance in reporting.

I agree - the guy is a nutjob easily tipped over the edge. However, we must understand the situation at many universities that would make one not "left" to the approved degree either very uncomfortable or, as with this guy, primed for violence.

You are right, Adkins is one issue and asking Mr. Ba Tron etal for balanced reporting is another. They are only related in Ba Tron etal's post.

I'm not aware of any universities that require a certain degree of "leftness" for admission. Anyone can be admitted to any university, provided they have the proper qualifications.

Anyway, Mitchell Adkins wasn't the only republican at Transylvania University. But rather than making friends with like-minded people, he just got all butthurt about the students that didn't agree with his politics and decided that a machete attack would be a great way to bring everyone around to his way of thinking.

I'm just wondering what you think is biased in the MSM reporting of this situation.

The issue wasn't admissions it was the taught and encouraged political slant.

Adkins was a time bomb waiting to be ignited and went off. That is not reflective of Conservative ideology.

I'm just wondering where your wondering about MSM came from.

My point is that Adkins applied for admission to a very politically liberal university when there are plenty of very politically conservative universities he could have chosen to attend instead.

My wondering came from your general comments regarding "balance in reporting" and your specific comment "the MSM is certainly not going to offer such unbiased reporting."

Anyway, the article in question was factual and balanced in its reporting.

Assume nothing. Question everything. And start thinking.
Kudos
Views