Refresh your driving skills and you could save on auto insurance! Take the AARP Smart Driver course.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: In the US, right-wing violence is on the rise

Message 1 of 71

@Cirice wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Cirice wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Cirice wrote:

I don't think we want to further divide our society with Liberal schools and Conservative schools as the goal. Sure a tilt is inevitable but it seems that is an environment where kids should be exposed to a wide range of thinking without "pushing" in one direction or the other.

As to the article - what is "right-wing" about Adkins? I think that term (as well as "left-wing") needs some definition and understanding. As an example, because I consider myself to be Conservative politically, we have posters that believe I am alt-right.

I agree. However, contrary to what most conservatives believe, there is not a "left wing takeover of universities", nor are most universities hotbeds of liberalism. In fact, college attendance is associated with students becoming more tolerant of both liberal and conservative views. Higher education exposes students to experiences that teach them how to think rather than what to think, which is exactly what it should do.

As to the article - Adkins self-identified as "right wing", "conservative", and "Republican" so that is how he was described in the article.

Yes he did and yes he was. But the killer part is a separate issue.

As to the leftward tilt of universities - we will have to agree to disagree on that.

What "killer" part? I don't recall the article referring to Adkins as a killer. The article is about rising right-wing violence, which is factual and fair reporting.

Right you are - "machete attacker", the victim got lucky.

As to the "leftward tilt of universities",  we can agree that rightwing beliefs are in opposition to higher learning.  No, we cannot agree on that. But, some can offer such irrational nonsense. I'd say that the use of universities for indoctrination rather than opening minds would be the antithesis of "higher learning".

And if that were the case, you might have a point. But it's not, so you don't.

What point are you talking about - that the preponderance of university profs lean left and bring their politics into the classroom?

The victims would have been luckier had the rightwing machete attacker acted appropriately. His violence is not and cannot be separate from his ideology.

What is "rightwing" about his ideology?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 71

@rk9152 wrote:

@Cirice wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Cirice wrote:

I don't think we want to further divide our society with Liberal schools and Conservative schools as the goal. Sure a tilt is inevitable but it seems that is an environment where kids should be exposed to a wide range of thinking without "pushing" in one direction or the other.

As to the article - what is "right-wing" about Adkins? I think that term (as well as "left-wing") needs some definition and understanding. As an example, because I consider myself to be Conservative politically, we have posters that believe I am alt-right.

I agree. However, contrary to what most conservatives believe, there is not a "left wing takeover of universities", nor are most universities hotbeds of liberalism. In fact, college attendance is associated with students becoming more tolerant of both liberal and conservative views. Higher education exposes students to experiences that teach them how to think rather than what to think, which is exactly what it should do.

As to the article - Adkins self-identified as "right wing", "conservative", and "Republican" so that is how he was described in the article.

As to the leftward tilt of universities - we will have to agree to disagree on that.

What "killer" part? I don't recall the article referring to Adkins as a killer. The article is about rising right-wing violence, which is factual and fair reporting.

Right you are - "machete attacker", the victim got lucky.

As to the "leftward tilt of universities",  we can agree that rightwing beliefs are in opposition to higher learning.  No, we cannot agree on that. But, some can offer such irrational nonsense. I'd say that the use of universities for indoctrination rather than opening minds would be the antithesis of "higher learning".

And if that were the case, you might have a point. But it's not, so you don't.

The victims would have been luckier had the rightwing machete attacker acted appropriately. His violence is not and cannot be separate from his ideology.

Assume nothing. Question everything. And start thinking.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 71

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

In fact, your link refers to one city, Baltimore. It says it is an anomaly when compared to all other large cities (and the country). Your link also states:  Overall, the FBI says the national violent crime rate decreased by 0.2 percent from 2016 to last year. This also doesn't prove or indicate that right wing violence isn't on the rise.

Keep trying.

Chas, not surprisingly, he fails to acknowledge that hate crimes soared.....  fascists are fascists.....

Now I'm a fascist because I prefer to not divide violence into neat packages that can be used to attack those of different political views.

This blind hatred stuff is really getting out of hand.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 71

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:(in blue text)

@ChasKy53 wrote:

And regardless of what any Right Wing poster has posted in this thread ............ Right Wing violence is on the rise.

A case can be made that violence is on the rise - but Right Wing??

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/09/25/baltimore-homicide-murder-rate-fbi-statistics-death-c...

Your link doesn't prove that right wing violence is on the rise. All mass murders in the past 15 years were committed by white males, most all of which were right wing and some were admitted trump supporters. Your link doesn't discount that either.

In fact, your link refers to one city, Baltimore. It says it is an anomaly when compared to all other large cities (and the country). Your link also states:  Overall, the FBI says the national violent crime rate decreased by 0.2 percent from 2016 to last year. This also doesn't prove or indicate that right wing violence isn't on the rise.

Keep trying.

I just wonder why people get so upset about only the sort of violence done by those who fit their description of RW. That is particularly at odds with reality since the same folks consider Conservatives to be "RW" and attempt to link the politically conservative with those doing the violence.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 71

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@Cirice wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Cirice wrote:

As to the "leftward tilt of universities",  we can agree that rightwing beliefs are in opposition to higher learning.

And regardless of what any Right Wing poster has posted in this thread ............ Right Wing violence is on the rise.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/09/25/baltimore-homicide-murder-rate-fbi-statistics-death-c...

Absolutely!!!  Right-wing hate crimes!  Why do you think that may be the case.  It's obvious that like your Cult Leader, you ignore the facts and do everything possible to divert attention elsewhere.  Why is that?

Image result for distraction

The cartoon has nothing to do with why it is RW violence.

Yep, but does highlight how one doesn't want to address the actual topic and would rather point  out squirrels.

But, again, it has nothing to do with RW violence. It is exactly what you are whining about. And to clarify - do you think violence is bad or only that which can be labeled "RW" violence?

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 71

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Keep trying.

Chas, not surprisingly, he fails to acknowledge that hate crimes soared.....  fascists are fascists.....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 71

@rk9152 wrote:(in blue text)

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Your link doesn't prove that right wing violence is on the rise. All mass murders in the past 15 years were committed by white males, most all of which were right wing and some were admitted trump supporters. Your link doesn't discount that either.

Keep trying.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 71

@rk9152 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@Cirice wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Cirice wrote:

As to the "leftward tilt of universities",  we can agree that rightwing beliefs are in opposition to higher learning.

Absolutely!!!  Right-wing hate crimes!  Why do you think that may be the case.  It's obvious that like your Cult Leader, you ignore the facts and do everything possible to divert attention elsewhere.  Why is that?

Yep, but does highlight how one doesn't want to address the actual topic and would rather point  out squirrels.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 71

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@Cirice wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Cirice wrote:

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 71

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@Cirice wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Cirice wrote:

Kudos
Views