Honored Social Butterfly

Illegal immigration plummets after Trump inauguration

- The Washington Times - Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Illegal immigration across the southwest border is down more than 60 percent so far under President Trump, officials revealed Tuesday, even before the first new agent is hired or the first mile of his promised border wall is constructed.

Mr. Trump took a victory lap over the “record reductions” in illegal crossers, saying he is already saving Americans’ jobs by preventing them from having to compete with unauthorized workers.

“Down 61 percent since inauguration. Gen. Kelly is doing a fantastic job,” Mr. Trump told a labor union gathering in Washington, praising Homeland Security Secretary John F. Kelly, a retired Marine Corps general.

Mr. Kelly is scheduled to detail the numbers Wednesday to the Senate Homeland Security Committee, which is investigating the situation on the border.

======================================================

Good news!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I am not surprised to see a reduction on illegals crossing our southern border. First of all, now they fear deportation in a manner that they didn't fear it before. and the tide has many not wanting to see the ilegal situation not being resolved.
If they continue to deport as many as they have been deporting and really having the necessary personnel at the border, that will help. Perhaps also the Mexican government because they really need to improve relations with the US. they have become more active in not allowing many that cross thru Mexico into the US

Actually, the Mexican population is not coming across as much as they used to. Remember, that there are now many industries that hire many of them and they have jobs and they stay in their country.

no name
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I saw this on CNN this morning.  Comments from the camps on either side are predictable, don't you think?  I think the 'why' will have to wait until some objective and rational person unravels what the 'so-called' statistics really do represent.  Me....I haven't seen that yet.  Did put me in mind of Emma Lazarus sonnet.  The one on the plaque at the Statue of Liberty....If you've forgotten, it goes like this:

Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,

Send these, the homeless, tempest tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

I wonder.....will anyone will write a sonnet for the  US/Mexico border "wall"?  I wonder what that sonnet would say?  Will it be inscribed on a bronze plaque or will it be scribbled on a piece of old cardboard tacked to a board from a packing crate? 

Submit their version to Trump Tower, The White House or Mar A Lago for a prompt and courteous

response to your submission.....you might want to copywrite it first.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

So with the rate of illegal immigrants coming across the border slowing, does this mean that the American people don't have to wast their money on a wall, which experts say won't work anyway?  The next place we can save money is to curtail Trump's flights away from his duties and to Mar-a-lago. 

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Honored Social Butterfly

pc posted..

So with the rate of illegal immigrants coming across the border slowing, does this mean that the American people don't have to wast their money on a wall, which experts say won't work anyway?

=====================================

"experts say won't work anyway" Like ?

I am sure that politicians that do not want the wall will use these numbers to say the wall is not needed...the same politicians ( all Democrat Mayors) that are for not working with our Federal Authorities (Sanctuary Cities).

I believe in our laws.

Honored Social Butterfly

Trump said it which means that there is a 90% chance it is false.

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

Snoopy48,

Let's be fair.  According to Polifact Trump statements are only mostly false to a pants on fire lie 79% of the time.  Of course, he only tells the entire truth 4% of the time.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@sp362 wrote:

Snoopy48,

Let's be fair.  According to Polifact Trump statements are only mostly false to a pants on fire lie 79% of the time.  Of course, he only tells the entire truth 4% of the time.

He must be improving - during the campaign he was running at 92%.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

because they know there will be fewer jobs.
So it begins.
0 Kudos

The title of this should be "Illegal immigration arrests plummet at the border".  By definition, they have no way of really knowing the other number.  And, what about the immigrants that don't cross at the Mexican border?

Honored Social Butterfly

sp posted..

The title of this should be "Illegal immigration arrests plummet at the border". By definition, they have no way of really knowing the other number. And, what about the immigrants that don't cross at the Mexican border?

==========================================================

" what about the immigrants that don't cross at the Mexican border?"

That is not what this thread is about....that would be good for another thread.

I think its good news ...it seems that Trump's being tough is working for the good of our country...I think you would agree with that.

@KidBoy2 wrote:
sp posted..

The title of this should be "Illegal immigration arrests plummet at the border". By definition, they have no way of really knowing the other number. And, what about the immigrants that don't cross at the Mexican border?

==========================================================

" what about the immigrants that don't cross at the Mexican border?"

That is not what this thread is about....that would be good for another thread.

I think its good news ...it seems that Trump's being tough is working for the good of our country...I think you would agree with that.

Since the subject of the thread is "illegal immigrants" and only talks about the Mexican border, I will stand by my comment.  Also, as I stated, how do they know how many have gotten through?

This is simply about arrests at the border.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png