From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: If North Korea Reaches For Nuclear Trigger

Message 21 of 57

@Richva wrote:

You want to bring down Kim Jung Un?  Feed his people and let them know it comes from the United States. North Koreans have been on the brink of starvation for years.  Get food to them and let them see who is trying to keep them from the food. No other messages needed.  Of course, China would go ape puckey but we would have to negotiate this with them. Maybe give them North Korea for 100 years? 

I read an interesting article several years ago about this very concept.  It seems their local government has been telling their citizens the US keeps sinking the boats that bring food to their country.

Have you ever been to Korea?

I will Purchase a ticket on United Airlines for anyone that wants to meet with Kim Jong Un to discuss this very idea...

VIMTSTL
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 57

You want to bring down Kim Jung Un?  Feed his people and let them know it comes from the United States. North Koreans have been on the brink of starvation for years.  Get food to them and let them see who is trying to keep them from the food. No other messages needed.  Of course, China would go ape puckey but we would have to negotiate this with them. Maybe give them North Korea for 100 years? 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 57

Sp362- God help us all! there's a maniac on each side of this.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 57

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

The problem is you are assuming that Kim Jong Un is a rational actor.  I doubt that he cares what the rest of the world thinks.  The only scenario that this ends well for us is if he doesn't test his nuke.  If he does any action or inaction we take will not end well.

Given you are right about him, how do we deal with him - surrender out of fear?

No.  We realize that Un can use a catapult to nuke South Korea and deal accordingly.  The greatest pressure we could put on him right now is through China.  At least right now, it won't be the case in a few years, China needs access to our consumer markets more than we need access to their products.  We need to put more pressure on China to get involved.  If that means limiting or banning their products from US soil, so be it.  Businesses will manufacture elsewhere and the consumer will adjust.

I agree. Our show of strength to let him know that there is a new sheriff in town coupled with the development of relationships between our President and the President of China bodes well for the future.

Since Un just tried a launch that failed, we will see what China does in response and how committed they are to a new relationship (my guess is not very, but I hope I am wrong).

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 57

@sp362 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

The problem is you are assuming that Kim Jong Un is a rational actor.  I doubt that he cares what the rest of the world thinks.  The only scenario that this ends well for us is if he doesn't test his nuke.  If he does any action or inaction we take will not end well.

No.  We realize that Un can use a catapult to nuke South Korea and deal accordingly.  The greatest pressure we could put on him right now is through China.  At least right now, it won't be the case in a few years, China needs access to our consumer markets more than we need access to their products.  We need to put more pressure on China to get involved.  If that means limiting or banning their products from US soil, so be it.  Businesses will manufacture elsewhere and the consumer will adjust.

I agree. Our show of strength to let him know that there is a new sheriff in town coupled with the development of relationships between our President and the President of China bodes well for the future.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 57

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 57

@sp362 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 57

@sp362 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

What Trump is doing can be compared to playing chicken with a terminally ill dude driving a stolen car.  Not good odds of it ending well. 

....and now he has the backing of China. How 'bout that sports fans!!!

China is urging restraint on both sides.  How is that backing Trump?

Come on - think about it.

I stand by my original comment.  You are going to have to explain how this is backing Trump.  And, more importantly, why North Korea would think they are backing Trump.

If you look at the words and actions of China immediately after the meeting with President Trump you would have your answer. Urging restraint "on both sides" is movement, abstaining in the UN is movement, the coal thing with NK is movement.

In international diplomacy there is much subtlety. To say there is no progress because the President of China is not wearing an American flag lapel pin is a bit ingenuous.

You need to look at it from North Korea's point of view.  China has threatened sanctions before and never followed through.  China is NOT saying that they would back the US in a war, or NOT back North Korea.  North Korean's can take those exact same comments and think they mean that China is backing them.  Again, I stand by my original comment.

The subject of negotiations is not about choosing up sides and going to war. It is about other issues of national interest, trade being important.

Will China stick to her guns? Who knows. But having an American President involved who has made it clear that he will not be "leading from behind" or going on an "apology tour" could easily have a positive effect.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 57

@KidBoy2 wrote:

pc posted..

The problem is you are assuming that Kim Jong Un is a rational actor. I doubt that he cares what the rest of the world thinks. The only scenario that this ends well for us is if he doesn't test his nuke. If he does any action or inaction we take will not end well.

=================================================

"The problem is you are assuming that Kim Jong Un is a rational actor."

No, I am not assuming that...and what makes you know what I assum?

FYI This is what I posted..

I hope the fact that Trump has shown the world that unlike Obama he will not stand by and do nothing... he showed that last week. What will Trump do...I have no idea ..what do you think he should do?

The only reason Un would care what Trump had to say is if he is rational, which he does not appear to be.  So, if he doesn't do his test, the United States wins. If he does his test and we now do nothing, he is further emboldened to simply do what he wants, so we lose (unless china carries out its threat of sanctions, which they have never done before).  If he does the test and we go to war, we lose (even if we win the war).  The only way to really win this is to put more pressure on China to carry through with sanctions.

By your comment, you are assuning that Un is rational enough to look at the bigger picture and care what the US says.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 57

pc posted..

The problem is you are assuming that Kim Jong Un is a rational actor. I doubt that he cares what the rest of the world thinks. The only scenario that this ends well for us is if he doesn't test his nuke. If he does any action or inaction we take will not end well.

=================================================

"The problem is you are assuming that Kim Jong Un is a rational actor."

No, I am not assuming that...and what makes you know what I assum?

FYI This is what I posted..

I hope the fact that Trump has shown the world that unlike Obama he will not stand by and do nothing... he showed that last week. What will Trump do...I have no idea ..what do you think he should do?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors