Honored Social Butterfly

If Donald Trump wants civility,

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/01/donald-trump-civility-political-correctness

If Donald Trump wants civility, why does he trash political correctness?

The ejection of Sarah Huckabee Sanders from a Virginia restaurant, by staff unhappy at her role as Donald Trump’s spokeswoman, has crystallised an American crisis: not quite a civil war but a civility war. According to the Trump administration, an epidemic of bad manners, mockery and profanity has taken over its opponents.

Disparate incidents of opposition to Trump and his regime – including barbs by TV comedians – are being collapsed into a single story: a pouty, entitled and bad-loser left is abandoning civility, and in doing so inciting hatred and violence. Some of this hyperbole about a crisis of manners is cynical political point-scoring. But much of the rest shows a blindness to the fact that the sort of civility being mourned – the kind that meant politicians could go about their business without fear of abuse from the public or the president – broadly did exist before Trump hit the campaign trail and began beating the drum of misogyny, racism and hatred of the press. It was called political correctness, and Trump supporters didn’t like it.

In fact, Trump made opposition to it one of his flagship election policies – no more being nice to people just for the sake of it. During the first debate of the Republican primaries, Fox News host Megyn Kelly asked Trump how he would answer the charge that he was “part of the war on women” (he had called women he didn’t like “fat pigs”, “dogs”, “slobs”, and “disgusting animals”, and had told a contestant on Celebrity Apprentice it would be a “pretty picture to see her on her knees”). “I think the big problem this country has is being politically correct,” Trump answered, to audience applause. “I’ve been challenged by so many people, I don’t frankly have time for total political correctness. And to be honest with you, this country doesn’t have time either.”

And the country, the part of it that voted for him and continues to support him, concurred. It does not have time for a political correctness that prevents men from calling women dogs, from mocking disabled people, from insulting those they disagree with as having a low IQ. The end of civility was what Trump promised, and what his voters had wanted for a long time. Trump’s country has no time for sympathy for families separated from their children, if it stops migrants smeared as rapists, drugs dealers and murderersgetting into the country; it has no time for the victims of school shootings if it means curbing the right to gun ownership; it has no time for a free press if it means having to be presented with facts that counter its claims.

And yet, the response to this promised vandalism of manners, decay of tone and disregard for human life has sent Trump and his supporters into a swoon of offence. A text message sent to Trump voters last week asked for financial support because it was “time for civility”, and time to “show the left we won’t be intimidated”

Honored Social Butterfly

@Snoopy48 wrote:

Why would anyone say “IF he starts an attack” when there are multiple examples of Trump attacking without any provocation other than someone disagreeing with him? Do you really think that name-calling and encouraging violence against those who disagree with him are proper actions for the President of this country?

When are you going to hold Trump to the same standards that you demand from those who don’t bow down to him?

Care to list those "numerous examples"?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

Why would anyone say “IF he starts an attack” when there are multiple examples of Trump attacking without any provocation other than someone disagreeing with him? Do you really think that name-calling and encouraging violence against those who disagree with him are proper actions for the President of this country?

When are you going to hold Trump to the same standards that you demand from those who don’t bow down to him?

I won't waste my time since you will not accept anything negative about your hero.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

I won't waste my time since you will not accept anything negative about your hero.

If you are unwilling to state your "numerous examples" why do you claim them? BTW - this is not about any "hero", it is about your claim of "numerous examples".

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

If you are unwilling to state your "numerous examples" why do you claim them? BTW - this is not about any "hero", it is about your claim of "numerous examples".

No, the topic is about lack of civility. 

My reply was about your ridiculous claim that he is only a ‘counter-puncher’. Two examples of him NOT being a ‘counter-puncher’ - his name calling of Maxine Waters and his name calling of Elizabeth Warren. Both voiced disagreement with his actions and he took the attacks personal.

Trusted Contributor

Okay Snoopy, I will. "Lyin' Ted, Liddle Marco, Low Energy Jeb, 1 for 38 Kasich, Pocahontas, Cryin' Chuck, Jeff the Flake, Little Rocket Man, Leakin James, Steepy Eyes Chuck, Not a hero John, Sloppy Steve Bannon." There's also his favorite words: "lightweight, loser, moron, dummy, over-rated, thug, blood coming from . . ." How can you call making fun of a disabled reporter a "counterpunch?" None of these people did any name calling. But if you want to talk about punches, let's see, here's some Trump quotes: "Maybe he should've been roughed up.  I'd like to punch him in the face. Knock the crap out of him, would you? I promise I'll pay your legal fees. I'll knock the crap out of him. If you hurt him, I'll defend you in court. Part of the problem is no one want to hurt each other anymore."  

Trump is absolutely operating as a manipulative bully who does not care about the consequences of his actions. By definition, bullying "occurs when someone uses verbal or physical strength to intimidate someone. It often involves repeated exposure of one or more persons to verbal agression, threats, harassment, taunting, or spreading vicious, undocumented rumors." 

Trump is supposed to represent the American character. Is this who we are now?

Honored Social Butterfly

"Lyin' Ted, Liddle Marco, Low Energy Jeb, 1 for 38 Kasich, Pocahontas, Cryin' Chuck, Jeff the Flake, Little Rocket Man, Leakin James, Steepy Eyes Chuck, Not a hero John, Sloppy Steve Bannon."

Which of those do you see as having been a "first strike" as opposed to a "counter-punch"?

Trusted Contributor

How about that disabled reporter who wasn't even at that rally? How about what he said about Megyn Kelley just because she asked a question he didn't like? She asked other candidates questions they didn't like, but they didn't react the way he did. How about some of the things he has said about women? The beauty contestants, what he can do to women because he's so rich? How about his comment about Ted Cruz's wife? What did she do to cause him to be so horrible to her about her appearance?

Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

"Lyin' Ted, Liddle Marco, Low Energy Jeb, 1 for 38 Kasich, Pocahontas, Cryin' Chuck, Jeff the Flake, Little Rocket Man, Leakin James, Steepy Eyes Chuck, Not a hero John, Sloppy Steve Bannon."

Which of those do you see as having been a "first strike" as opposed to a "counter-punch"?

I am afraid you are going to have to remind me of the derogatory nicknames John McCain and Steve Bannon had for Trump.  

Then we have to point out that presenting  an excuse for being crass and rude is not the same as incivility being excusable.  Keep trying though. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

I am afraid you are going to have to remind me of the derogatory nicknames John McCain and Steve Bannon had for Trump.  

Then we have to point out that presenting  an excuse for being crass and rude is not the same as incivility being excusable.  Keep trying though. 

Try to focus - you posted a group of disparaging terms and I asked which you say as "first strike" vs "counter punch".

From CNBC - 

Trump was reacting to reports that Bannon had called a meeting between Donald Trump Jr. and a Russian lawyer "treasonous."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/azdc/2016/10/15/donald-trump-vs-john-mccain-feud/91960...

Two down, ten to go.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Snoopy48 wrote:

My reply was about your ridiculous claim that he is only a ‘counter-puncher’. Two examples of him NOT being a ‘counter-puncher’ - his name calling of Maxine Waters and his name calling of Elizabeth Warren. Both voiced disagreement with his actions and he took the attacks personal.

The discussion went towards the word "attack". I quite accurately pointed out that he is not an "attacker" but a "counter puncher". Granted neither can be called "being civil" but there is a big difference when you start to assess responsibility.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

The discussion went towards the word "attack". I quite accurately pointed out that he is not an "attacker" but a "counter puncher". Granted neither can be called "being civil" but there is a big difference when you start to assess responsibility.

And you failed in your attempt to excuse Trump again. A counter-puncher doesn’t always throw the first punch.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

And you failed in your attempt to excuse Trump again. A counter-puncher doesn’t always throw the first punch.

It was not a defense of the President. It was a defense of the truth. I obviously succeeded where you are concerned since you were unable to offer more than an erroneous claim without pointing to a single instance of his throwing the first punch.

Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

It was not a defense of the President. It was a defense of the truth. I obviously succeeded where you are concerned since you were unable to offer more than an erroneous claim without pointing to a single instance of his throwing the first punch.

Then you need serious help in recognizing the truth.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

I must admit - that deep, insightful, well thought out response is difficult;t to respond to. I am still awaiting the first instance of our President taking the first shot.

Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

I must admit - that deep, insightful, well thought out response is difficult;t to respond to. I am still awaiting the first instance of our President taking the first shot.

As long as you continue to bury your head in the sand and blindly support him you will never be able to see the light. Maybe if you didn't spend all your time trying to excuse Trump you could actually join the real world.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Snoopy48 wrote:

As long as you continue to bury your head in the sand and blindly support him you will never be able to see the light. Maybe if you didn't spend all your time trying to excuse Trump you could actually join the real world.

I am looking to you for advise - when did the President take the first swing? Without that, he must be thought of as a counter-puncher.

Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

I am looking to you for advise - when did the President take the first swing? Without that, he must be thought of as a counter-puncher.

Your question has been responded to multiple times but you are so stuck on your false idol that you are unable to comprehend. Have fun in your own little world.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

Your question has been responded to multiple times but you are so stuck on your false idol that you are unable to comprehend. Have fun in your own little world.

You have said it was responded to multiple times - but it actually hasn't happened even once. So, would you care to point out any instances of our President taking the first swing?

Or would you prefer to just post nonsense about some "false idol"?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

Oh - it;s not that trump supporters can't recognize the truth.

trumpies know full well the difference between truth and untruth - and are careful about which lies they tell where - its what keeps most of them out of jail over and over again...

They just think that their untruthful fabrications are believed by others.

They are aware that they are lying and fabricate all manner of facile, attractive, plausible sounding, trump world "alternate truths" that they know better than to believe themselves (see staying out of jail) but expect others to swallow hook,line and sinker.

After all, they swallowed enough of trump's lies to cause them to vote for him - didn't they?  

It's not that they are as thoroughly evil and corrupt as trump - they aren't...

But they cannot be expected to be truthful...

44>dolt45
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

"counter puncher"?   The lifelong puling coward and liar?

The coward trump has never had the courage to fight his own battle - his daddy hired a doctor to lie about "bonespurs" because donnie was a coward - and now he has scammed some of his dim-witted followers into to doing what he never has - and never will - have the courage to do himself...

2jxoa9.jpg

Thanks to the sleazy liar Sarah Hucksterbee Sanders for proving once again  that she's a shameless conscienceless liar - just like her pseudo-christian lying daddy/mentor...

44>dolt45
Honored Social Butterfly

@Soosie wrote:
Ok - shouldn't the model of the kind of "civility" extended to Obama and return it in kind be the model for "civility" extended to trump and his followers and supporters?

@alferd...............What is it you want from anyone who did not treat Obama as you think should have happened? Do you plan to live in the past forever? I hope there comes a time that some people who are angry can begin to look forward. Until then, maybe OUR country can only look in the rear view mirror. I find it such a waste of potential success.

Yawn...

Whatever makes your giggle boil...

44>dolt45
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png