AARP's caregiver resource center can help you navigate your role as a family caregiver. Try it today.

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: IS THIS THE ONLY POLITICAL GROUP ON AARP COMMUNITY?

Message 11 of 21
Just a recap.... A search for tolerance, civility, intelligent conversation and the absence of crap and right wing trolls without being harassed by Trump lovers for a discussion.

Sounds interesting like a personal ad for a date. Lol

"My AR self identifies as a Musket
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 21

The reason that this group is ok is because of the differences of opinions, As you have been able to see, the ones that don't like or care much for this group are the Trump followers.  they have in many ways found that they cannot preach to the choir and there are too many very intelligent posters that can   actually put down many of their theories that they seem to think they can peddle.

I am a Republican but not a Trump Followers, and there are many Independent in this grourp. not all are "Liberal Democrats" like they like to say about many in this group. "  suggest that you stay a little longer and see what happens here instead of simply leaving on the say so of some. Welcome to this board. We do respect others, and the Moderators are usually quite involved if anyone gets out of line.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 21

Hopefully this poster can find a group they enjoy.  I would like to be in one that doesn't  LOL,LOL,LOL  or TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP themselves to death.  Let's see, we have some who have laughed their backsides of, split their pants, affected their thinking and caused them to become disoriented.  It must be a disease.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 21
well said! REALITY is the key word, LOL.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 21

@CharMi1949 wrote:

Thanks, I'll try that.  Now that this is the only political group I hang around in the background here sometimes just for laughs.  

Since you've been hanging around in the background you might have noticed it has gotten more caustic since you were on.   I attribute this to many making posts more personal than before.

Besides Democratic Underground, which Gail mentioned, there is a site of several years that started as supportive of Bernie Sanders and branched out that might be of interest to you.  It is more political based and Democratic orientated rather than filled with adverse personal comments. 

I mostly just read the posts there occasionally.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 21

CharMi1949:   Looking for intelligent discussions. I used to get involved in the forums where everyone has to "tribe-up", but I'm tired of all the crap you have to put up with in those forums. Guess I'm just getting old.......... I'll try NBC or MSNBC, but I'm sure those sights have right wing troll also. 

A big part of the problem is we only have two major political parties and any sane Republicans left the party because of Trump. Which leaves us with the ones you call trolls, cultists, and conspiracy theorists. Pretty tough having a civil discussion with people who aren't grounded in reality, but that's where we are these days.

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 21

Thanks, I'll try that.  

They lost a lot of people who posted regularly when they changed the board (including me).  Now that this is the only political group, I am no longer interested, as I don't care to roll in the mud any more.  I will admit, every once in a while, I will come in here and just hang around in the background here to get some laughs...lol

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 21
Thanks, that is what I figured, and the reason I don't hang around here any longer. Looking for intelligent discussions. I used to get involved in the forums where everyone has to "tribe-up", but I'm tired of all the crap you have to put up with in those forums. Guess I'm just getting old.......... I'll try NBC or MSNBC, but I'm sure those sights have right wing troll also.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 21

@CharMi1949 wrote:

I just want to discuss politics in a civil, intelligent manner.   I would really like to discuss the Democratic Primary candidates and other things happening in politics, without name calling.

Does such a group exist on here, or anywhere else?

The AARP board has changed in design from the old way it use to be done.

Now, I guess you could say, it is a come-one, come-all Board.  However, I enjoy this type of discussion this way, since I don't usually fit into any one group all the time.

You might find the place for your stated purpose on the Democratic Underground board.  You will have to join it but they do have board discussions of all the candidates as well as General discussion areas and many other specific ones. It is big and pretty easy to manipulate.

Go on over, do a little investigating and traveling around to the various areas of the various boards, you can read-only without logging in - to see if it fits your desires. 

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 21

@CharMi1949 wrote:

Does anyone know of a group on here where I can join to discuss politics in a civil manner, without being harassed by right wingers and Trump lovers.  A few years back, I was on here a lot, as  we had several different groups for people with different political views.   

I am not interested in getting into fights and silly debates with right wingers.  I just want to discuss politics in a civil, intelligent manner.   I would really like to discuss the Democratic Primary candidates and other things happening in politics, without name calling.

Does such a group exist on here, or anywhere else?

No Sorry - Unfortunately you're out of luck - this is all there is on AARP

There are between 12 - 24 Regular Members of this Forum

They are pretty evenly divided into two Tribes

Unless you are willing To Tribe Up you will be disappointed

A Majority of the Democrats will not accept or participate in any kind of Honest Critique of any Individual Democrat - The Democratic Leadership or any of their policies

The Republicans are mostly Card Carrying Trump Cult Members who likewise will not participate in any Honest Criticism of Trump or any GOP policies

You'll have better luck on a Fox News or NBC Chat Room if your looking for Honest Discussion

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion: