Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: IS THIS STILL THE USA, Really!

Message 21 of 65

@rker321 wrote:

@williamb39198 wrote:

@rker321

I lay no claims to being an immigration law expert. However, I know what I see and hear. What appears so far in this man’s case is ice cherry picking, a lack of compassion, and a lack of common sense by the trump administration. 

If there are more facts to come out, I would certainly like to hear them. 

But in our country when someone has paid their dues, sought counseling and worked to become a good citizen, doesn’t that deserve consideration? Let’s see what else comes out. 

trump’s lack of anything

Look, your post is full of assumptions and hearsay. and I have tried to explain to you the law that are on the books for green card holders and the deportable offenses by which they can be deported.
This gentleman had a domestic abuse conviction which is a misdemeanor. and if his family when they picked him up they would have hired and attorney we probably wouldn't  have heard anything about this case.
Contrary to your beliefs. ICE  doesn't have the time to sit down and research in the computer all the green card holders that they can go and pick up. 
This was more of a fluke or we are missing a lot more details. but whatever these may be, the guy has rights and an Attorney is the way to go.

One of the sources which described the situation said that he had pleaded "no contest" to the charge - I did not read any place where the charge was a misdemeanor - law more often than not, reads no contest as guilty.

But isn't his real mistake, not becoming a citizen?  But maybe that is why, he did not become a citizen.

He was a lawful immigrant, not a citizen but with that charge, the lawful immigrant status could be pulled at any time and then he has to plead his case to the deportation officials - which is where it is now.

I don't know the time line of when this happened but if he had been in the country long enough to become a citizen before this happened - he would have had no immigration repercussions because he would have been a citizen -

I think the law already has compassion built into it - enter as a legal, immigrant, keep your nose clean, and become a citizen when 1st allowed - go all the way. 

What is in the hands of the individual is when or if they take advantage of that compassion and take action to become a citizens.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 65

@afisher wrote:

Can a person with a green card get it renewed if they have committed a misdemeanor? 

http://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/us-immigration/will-misdemeanor-affect-green-card-renewal.html

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 65

@rker321 wrote:

Contrary to your beliefs. ICE  doesn't have the time to sit down and research in the computer all the green card holders that they can go and pick up. 

To the contrary, there is the ability to use or create programs to search databases of green card holders, immigrants, naturalized citizens for certain information.  Perhaps ICE had a program written that would correlate databases to find specific information?

When in the military and my association with the IT field, I've had many requests by authorized officials to run searches for specific information from our databases.  Mainframe computers are more powerful than you think.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 65

Can a person with a green card get it renewed if they have committed a misdemeanor?   In the ignobler's pov - only people who are perfect should be allowed to have a green card - because these people are going to use the evangelical bs. that all of their illegal behavior will be forgiven.  ( which is a real lie).   

I recently had a discussion with a District Attorney Candidate and asked about the process used in many cities, where people who have been arrested and are released on their own recognizance because they can't afford bail and holding them in jail may result in loss of job, home, etc.  The discussion is about how long should an misdemeanor arrest cause be held against a person.   Carrying around a misdemeanor ( a 20 year old getting into a fight in college) or a DUI, should that be a reason to deny them advancement  forever.    

That is the bs. argument that ignoblers are attempting to sell.    They don't want to admit to that very fact, as all the neo-nazi's in Charlottesville that were arrested, should have their futures destroyed, right?  

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 65

@williamb39198 wrote:

@rker321

I lay no claims to being an immigration law expert. However, I know what I see and hear. What appears so far in this man’s case is ice cherry picking, a lack of compassion, and a lack of common sense by the trump administration. 

But in our country when someone has paid their dues, sought counseling and worked to become a good citizen, doesn’t that deserve consideration? Let’s see what else comes out. 

trump’s lack of anything

Look, your post is full of assumptions and hearsay. and I have tried to explain to you the law that are on the books for green card holders and the deportable offenses by which they can be deported.
This gentleman had a domestic abuse conviction which is a misdemeanor. and if his family when they picked him up they would have hired and attorney we probably wouldn't  have heard anything about this case.
This was more of a fluke or we are missing a lot more details. but whatever these may be, the guy has rights and an Attorney is the way to go.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 65

This whole thing is  becoming from the sublime to the ridiculous. the whole thing is wrong. period and yes we need to control our borders, but hoping that Trump needs to understand that he will need help from our border neighbors  on this one. He can't do it alone. He is simply creating a crisis that should never be.
Give it up. round them all, with their kids, put them on a plane and return them to their country of origin. 

When they start returning people then and only then, many will understand that is not a good idea to cross the border illegally.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 65

@rker321

trump’s lack of anything

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 65

The freedom to get a good nights sleep, do you feel more comfortable getting into your jammies and going to bed. I dream of a mad man with a football in his control that can wipe out life as we know it. A president who never expected to win and doesn’t know the first thing about leading a country. I should sleep good knowing he went to North Korea to have a summit, Ha Ha you must mean the photo op with no tangible. Kim Jon was the winner there smart presidents before Don The Con knew this would benefit NK and not us shame on Mr. Trump

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 65

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Though I'd bet Hitler would be more far more humane than the trump administration.

Sure, he would just ship them straight off to the concentration camps (and separating men, women and children) or gas chambers.   He sent many Bulgarians, Hungarians, etc. just because of their nationalities.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 65

No wonder we have a poster who spends her time curled up in a corner quaking in fear and praying for divine intervention in our government. Everything is so dramatic. For example, a poster puts up, "This is like Nazi Germany, our freedoms are being ripped away from right under our noses".

The question is asked, "Which of your freedoms have been "ripped away"?"

And the answer........silence.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors