Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: ILLINOIS HOUSE BILL HB0167 - DHS - LINK CARD - RESTRICTED USE

Message 1 of 9

ILLINOIS HOUSE BILL HB0167 - DHS - LINK CARD - RESTRICTED USE

A lot of people are living in cars, vans, and RVs, basically they're migrant US citizens within the US.

Sounds like the state wants to restrict their use of food stamps to in-state use.

Used to be people could live in Walmart parking lots, but I think Walmart clamped down on that.

Problem may be when winter comes and people have to choose between a warm climate ( not freezing to death )  and food.

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Contributor

Message 2 of 9
" Federal rules state that they can be used in the lower 48 states..."

Can you post a link for this information?
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 9

@GailL1 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

I would think that federal welfare programs should not be paying for "snowbirding". That should be a given.

Why would you think that ?  Especially if they meet all the eligibility requirements - income, assets, age, residency, countable medical expenses, utility cost.

Depending on the situation, a person can do snow birding on the cheap - staying with friends or relatives, living in a small RV, residing in a cheaper part of the warmer state, saving on utility cost in the colder state. 

Better give them a few bucks for food than subsidizing housing cost under some housing program that does not count assets in the eligibility requirements - only income.  Same is true of subsidizing health insurance under Obamacare - assets are not counted only income.

All charitable societal programs have eligibility requirements, so it is just a matter of working ones life to legally fit into the mold.  The optimum word here is legally - so don't win the lottery or make money under the table, don't hide assets in some revocable or irrevocable Trust - if one is poor, they are poor, and not just poor on paper based on,the numbers that are included.  Aside from that, they still have the right to live and move about as anybody else, abeit in some money managing manner.

I just can't see how one could afford snowbirding and still qualify. It isn't cheap maintaining two residences. I suppose that "on the cheap" way is possible but not easy. For example, if someone has subsidized housing in one area, they can hardly get it elsewhere.

But I guess you nailed it with "legal".

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 9

@rk9152 wrote:

I would think that federal welfare programs should not be paying for "snowbirding". That should be a given.

Why would you think that ?  Especially if they meet all the eligibility requirements - income, assets, age, residency, countable medical expenses, utility cost.

Depending on the situation, a person can do snow birding on the cheap - staying with friends or relatives, living in a small RV, residing in a cheaper part of the warmer state, saving on utility cost in the colder state. 

Better give them a few bucks for food than subsidizing housing cost under some housing program that does not count assets in the eligibility requirements - only income.  Same is true of subsidizing health insurance under Obamacare - assets are not counted only income.

All charitable societal programs have eligibility requirements, so it is just a matter of working ones life to legally fit into the mold.  The optimum word here is legally - so don't win the lottery or make money under the table, don't hide assets in some revocable or irrevocable Trust - if one is poor, they are poor, and not just poor on paper based on,the numbers that are included.  Aside from that, they still have the right to live and move about as anybody else, abeit in some money managing manner.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 9

I only looked at the first name on the bill - it is a GOP person...anyone here believe that this bill will proceed further?   Wake me when it goes for a General Assembly floor vote.   

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 9

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 9

@GailL1 wrote:

@JacquelineB407895 

"subject to Federal Approval" -  That is key because the Federal rules state that they can be used in the lower 48 states - beneficiaries are also allowed to take a vacation except to Alaska or Hawaii (because of the expenses to get there).

However, some states have programs that will flag so many out of state uses especially if they span a considerable amount of time - months.

That action serves a couple of purposes - to check for a stolen digital card and stop funding it and to make sure people are still a resident of the issuing state - sometimes this triggers an audit to reverify eligibility - income, assets, residency.  They also want to make sure that the beneficiary is not signed up in more than one state.

In the flagged uses, they do take into consideration if a person lives close to an adjoining state since the other states shopping areas might be closer to what might be in the issuing state.  

Every state, especially the ones which have some type of financial problems, are looking to save money - so don't blame them for trying.   The only other reason is that they have discovered some related problems.

If the state of IL gets this Federal clearance, I am sure,every state will be lining up.  

Federal rules are made to be interpreted in many different ways, and are. My guess Ill will not have a problem with this. Keep in mind under Medicaid a town close to me used funds from it to hire a school crossing guard. When someone was posting the rules in here about Medicare not allowing people to change providers under certain conditions. I had a friend who did just that and it broke every rule that was posted. Funny thing was the support article came from Kaiser in CA. Guess who helped my friend do it. Yes Kaiser.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 9

@JacquelineB407895 

"subject to Federal Approval" -  That is key because the Federal rules state that they can be used in the lower 48 states - beneficiaries are also allowed to take a vacation except to Alaska or Hawaii (because of the expenses to get there).

However, some states have programs that will flag so many out of state uses especially if they span a considerable amount of time - months.

That action serves a couple of purposes - to check for a stolen digital card and stop funding it and to make sure people are still a resident of the issuing state - sometimes this triggers an audit to reverify eligibility - income, assets, residency.  They also want to make sure that the beneficiary is not signed up in more than one state.

In the flagged uses, they do take into consideration if a person lives close to an adjoining state since the other states shopping areas might be closer to what might be in the issuing state.  

Every state, especially the ones which have some type of financial problems, are looking to save money - so don't blame them for trying.   The only other reason is that they have discovered some related problems.

If the state of IL gets this Federal clearance, I am sure,every state will be lining up.  

Highlighted
Contributor

ILLINOIS HOUSE BILL HB0167 - DHS - LINK CARD - RESTRICTED USE

Message 9 of 9

Illinois General Assembly's Human Services Committee has scheduled a March 6, 2019 hearing on an issue of interest to retirees who supplement their incomes with food stamps. House bill HB0167 will restrict the federal food stamp and cash assistance program to in-state use only. Such limitation would prohibit Illinois' snowbirds from purchasing food items outside Illinois with food stamps. Copy of the text of the proposed bill is below with a link to the Illinois General Assembly website:

Amends the Administration Article of the Illinois Public Aid Code. Provides that subject to federal approval, on or after the effective date of the amendatory Act, the LINK card issued by the Department of Human Services for the purpose of enabling cardholders to obtain Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits or cash shall only be used for in-state transactions. Provides that the Department shall adopt rules necessary to implement this provision.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=167&GAID=15&DocTypeID=HB&LegId=114020&SessionI...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors