Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: IGNORANCE/PREJUDICE: TAKE YOUR PICK

Message 2 of 8
My guess is that many don't know that they are using Arabic numerals every day. They just saw ARABic and discussion over.
Sir Granny Tracy
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 8

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@BigLib wrote:

It's ignorance, fueled by their prejudices. The GOP has been allowed to dominate the narrative regarding all things "Arab" for too long, because all it is is a message of hate. Doesn't help matters when a president repeats a lie about Muslims dancing on rooftops in Jersey on 9/11 at his alt-right rallies, and all the willing stooges in the crowd start booing as if it were actually true.

I'd agree, BigLib....

Just look at the polling that demonstrates higher support of the ACA over "ObamaCare".  Ignorance, fueled by prejudices, just as you pointed out.

One-Third Don’t Know Obamacare and Affordable Care Act Are the Same

One thrd(sic).....hmmmm, about the same number as trump's base....coincidence?  Shocking.....

Based on the topic, does anyone know for sure who those I/III support for President?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 8

@BigLib wrote:

It's ignorance, fueled by their prejudices. The GOP has been allowed to dominate the narrative regarding all things "Arab" for too long, because all it is is a message of hate. Doesn't help matters when a president repeats a lie about Muslims dancing on rooftops in Jersey on 9/11 at his alt-right rallies, and all the willing stooges in the crowd start booing as if it were actually true.

I'd agree, BigLib....

Just look at the polling that demonstrates higher support of the ACA over "ObamaCare".  Ignorance, fueled by prejudices, just as you pointed out.

One-Third Don’t Know Obamacare and Affordable Care Act Are the Same

One thrd.....hmmmm, about the same number as trump's base....coincidence?  Shocking.....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 8

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (13 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 8

I'm gonna opt for ignorance. Can you imagine doing advanced math using Roman numerals?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 8

My dad taught me that at a young age.  I know I read about it in school, too. Elementary school. I wonder if this is something that has gotten lost with “teaching to the test.” 

But more importantly, where is the will to go look up something we aren’t quite sure of before condemning it outright?  Ignorance should be just a temporary condition....

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

IGNORANCE/PREJUDICE: TAKE YOUR PICK

Message 8 of 8

Read this and weep: I am appalled that so many people are so blissfully dumb and dumber. Why not outlaw Arabian horses as well? Or ban stories from the classic The Arabian Nights. Let's also include James Joyce's insightful coming-of-age short story "Araby." Why not, thinking of Macbeth, throw Civics to the dogs?

(Gray News) - According to a survey conducted by CivicScience, most Americans don’t believe Arabic numerals should be taught in schools.

The problem: That’s the numeral system we use every day. (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9)

CivicScience, whose mission is to power the world’s opinions and bring them to the decision makers who care, asked 3,624 people if schools in America should teach Arabic numerals.

By the numbers, 2,020 people said no, 1,043 people said yes and 561 people shared no opinion.

In simpler terms, 56% of respondents said no, 29% said yes and 15% chose no opinion.

Perhaps the numeral system’s name exposed a bias among the respondents. Maybe they just didn’t know where our numeral system came from.

Both could be true, but CivicScience CEO John Dick is calling it bigotry. “Ladies and Gentlemen: The saddest and funniest testament to American bigotry we’ve ever seen in our data,” Dick tweeted.

schlomo
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors