Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 1 of 27

@NerdyMom wrote:

Racism and bigotry are everywhere.   We are being disingenuous if we think otherwise.  Even if we hold prejudices, we must try to act in ways that are right and just.  So yes, I'm very happy the police department arrested this guy.  I hope he is convicted, although I am not sure how a court date will play out if he goes back to Connecticut.

I am familar with prejudices as we have been subjected to the same.  Some think it is 'smart' to act like that even when they are sober.  And it is prevelant all over the world, not just  here.

I did some research and found the guy is from Waterford, Connecticut..

http://fox61.com/2017/05/10/waterford-man-arrested-for-racist-tirade-in-texas/

Of course the hotel should have taken some action, and during this time of the year they wouldn't be losing any money since it is beginning of tourist season and San Padre Island is crowded with beach goers. 

But back to the original intent of the topic, the guy is not from Texas, and even at that is not indicative of the 27.41 million residents of the state.  One reason my wife and I settled here, after I retired from the military, was because of the good and friendly people in contrast to other places we considered.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 27

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@NerdyMom wrote:

He's from Connecticut.

http://fox5sandiego.com/2017/05/10/video-man-swears-at-family-yells-trump-will-stop-you-in-anti-musl...

Thanks for finding and posting that.  Of course the poster that scoured the internet for adverse things about Texas neglected to find out where the guy was from.   To the credit of South Padre Island police they showed that we don't tolerate racism like that.

In my opinion it is more racist for any poster to keep posting trash like that over and over.

Racism and bigotry are everywhere.   We are being disingenuous if we think otherwise.  Even if we hold prejudices, we must try to act in ways that are right and just.  So yes, I'm very happy the police department arrested this guy.  I hope he is convicted, although I am not sure how a court date will play out if he goes back to Connecticut.

I'm disappointed in the hotel for not saying or doing more.  They have posted on their facebook page that they didn't really know the whole story behind what happened out on the beach. And they have said that the behavior is unacceptable and intolerable.

I have no idea if that's true or not.  It's one person's word against another's.   But if "I" were running that hotel, I'd undertake a full review of guest policies, beach use (if they have any say in what happens there), including intoxication and/or drug use, and issue a statement to that effect.  Pinned on the website and the facebook page.  This guy was drunk off his a**, and we all know plenty of hotels that cater to that kind of behavior.  They just want to max out bookings and make their $$.

None of that is enough to make people happy, but it will help reduce the chance of a similar incident in the future.    Show me a good faith effort that says you hate bigotry as much as I do.   

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 27

@afisher wrote:

Police arrested Downing on May 3, taking him into custody for public intoxication, reports Fox 61.

Any more requests?    This is from the local paper in San Antonio.    

NerdyMom has already answered this.  He's from Connecticut and has been taken into custody by the South Padre Island police.  Note he's not from Texas.  Are you?

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 27

A video uploaded to YouTube on May 5 by 19-year-old Noria Alward shows an intoxicated man harassing a Muslim-American family at South Padre Island and has quickly made its rounds around the internet. It shows the family being aggressively, verbally attacked by another vacationer and self-described Donald Trump supporter.

Alexander Jennes Downing, the piss-drunk man who is seen in a neon lime green tank top in the video, repeatedly harassed the family, yelling things like, "ISIS don't mean sh*t to me, motherfu****. Donald Trump, Donald Trump, motherfu****," while beating his chest, grabbing his crotch and pointing at the family.

Police arrested Downing on May 3, taking him into custody for public intoxication, reports Fox 61.

Any more requests?    This is from the local paper in San Antonio.    

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 27

@nctarheel wrote:

While the guy might have been from Connecticut, the Hotel Management, who did absolutely nothing as this family was being threatened, re-iterates the INSTITUTIONAL RACISM that exists in TEXAS.

It is very clear why they didn't lift a finger.

Of course it wasn't the hotel management's job to arrest him, but again, the South Padre Island police doesn't tolerate that type of conduct and put him away in a nice quiet place.  Someone from out of state comes here raising cain, and they'll get what's coming to him.

So what's your problem except that you keep dancing around to find something to complain about the state?  From that article about Charlotte, your state isn't exactly perfect.  If that is indeed where you're from and there are some doubts about that.  You refuse to post anything about it.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 27

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

Of course the poster that scoured the internet for adverse things about Texas neglected to find out where the guy was from. 

While the guy might have been from Connecticut, the Hotel Management, who did absolutely nothing as this family was being threatened, re-iterates the INSTITUTIONAL RACISM that exists in TEXAS.

It is very clear why they didn't lift a finger.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 27

@NerdyMom wrote:

He's from Connecticut.

http://fox5sandiego.com/2017/05/10/video-man-swears-at-family-yells-trump-will-stop-you-in-anti-musl...

Thanks for finding and posting that.  Of course the poster that scoured the internet for adverse things about Texas neglected to find out where the guy was from.   To the credit of South Padre Island police they showed that we don't tolerate racism like that.

In my opinion it is more racist for any poster to keep posting trash like that over and over.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 27
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 27

@afisher wrote:

NC:   Please keep up the good work.  

You have finally poked and irritated  some folks who may have needed a serious shaking.   While they may never be WOKE, they will at least be forced to confront their own 'racism denial' face on.  

One has to wonder if they ever go back and read what they write, that is always a learning experience.   

Keep up the good?? work, eh? How, by shifting the blame to a state 1200 miles away from the racism that exists on the posters front door? The guilty poster would better serve his/her own state, the country, and this forum by realizing the sins she pins on others, exists far closer to home.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 27

@fangoh45 wrote:

I'm sure the interviews were recorded somewhere in Texas and the producers changed the location. Certainly, this can't be N.C.!!

Must be downtown Dallas then, especially from the way the poster from N.C. posts, prejudice is only a Texas thing...no other state is like that.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit

Top Authors