Honored Social Butterfly

I thought there was no way AARP could make this forum worse but I was wrong!

I thought there was no way AARP could make this forum worse but I was wrong!  I hope everyone is NOT seeing what I'm seeing.

Say no to Joe and BLM cult!

Honored Social Butterfly

There is missing stuff, from my posts. Are we expected to sort this out? And why are there no updates from AARP!...or are they just trying to play with Senior’s minds!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

What post are your missing, williamb39198?

All the post you have made should be listed here on your profile in chronological order - date and time - newest to oldest.

williamb39198 Profile Post 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I am having a gigantic "temper Tantrum" Cannot find some of my posts not even in my profile. I have communicated to the powers to be to please let us have our responses in a chronological manner, it works for us in this forum. I sincerely hope that they have the intelligence to isten.

no name
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I came back to add a bit more to you, Roxanna35 -

I looked at some of your post when this new system was 1st launched and it did seem that at that time, you were posting under the LAST post made by (whomever) rather than posting a reply to the topic post (which is the 1st post at the top of each page - the post that started the thread).

AARP Sandy (ADMIN - Community Manager) posted this to you over on the About Our Community Board @ 10-21-2020 04:11 PM: (posting only the part that relates here)

Roxanna35, sorry you’re finding the new threading of conversations challenging to navigate.  Some of the confusion is from users not replying to the portions of the thread they intend to.  . . . .  Replies are in date/time order with the most recent reply, just under the top's anchored post.  When engaging in a conversation thread, click the reply on the post you want to reply to and direct your reply to that individual poster or click the reply on the anchored post at the top to add to the overall conversation.

Nonetheless, you should find ALL the post you have made regardless of to who or under which board in your Profile Post file unless it is in your DRAFTS file.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Can't find them even in your list of Profile post?  That's weird.

Roxanna35 Profile Post 

However, IF the post did not go through for some reason, it might still be in your "DRAFTS" also shown on your Profile page right above your PHOTOS under QUICK LINKS.

This is mine but yours should show something similar with more or less Quick Links.

Screenshot_2020-10-21 GailL1.png

⤴️SEE RIGHT HERE - if you see it in your own profile, just click on it and it will show you your post that never got posted, that you did not cancel.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

FAILURE TO WARN AND ADVISE ON ARRP'S OBLIGATION TO MEMBERS

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

IT IS A BAD FORMAT AND RESTRICTIVE.

CONTROLLED BY MANUVERABILTY FROM ONE TOPIC TO THE NEXT

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

I know that many people will disagree but the most common anti-ergonomic feature of webpage design is this WhatchamaCallIt:

PreviousNext.png

Instead, everything should be listed on one page because it is always easier to just scroll than click and scroll.  For example, it is done that way at https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/6011784/vp-biden-introduced-to-ukraine-exec-through-hunter#n=2....

There are better and worse variations of the WhatchamaCallIt.  A better version is when users have the option of selecting the number of items displayed on one page but, even then, the default is the minimum number (Why?).  The worst version is when the WhatchamaCallIt only appears at the bottom of the page and there are no numbers between previous and next.  Recently, I tried to search through a list of in-network physicians at an Aetna website with that worst WhatchamaCallIt.  I looked for a physician named Hr... so I clicked "H" at  the top, scrolled to the bottom, saw that I was still on Ha..., clicked Next, scrolled to the bottom and saw that I was still on Ha..., so I gave up.

The average webpage designer can't see the forest for the trees.

You are getting sleepy.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@aruzinsky wrote:

The average webpage designer can't see the forest for the trees.

The average webpage designer rolls out a site after it has been completed and debugged.  The roll-out of this site comes across as a class project being completed as part of a web design class, bit by bit.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

My impression of the AARP website is it  is a work in progress.  Most websites are carefully thought out and implemented and minor changes occur later.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

A good website would have been tested on a test website before going mainstream especially in a scenario such as here.  I had a test server on my computer to run and debug websites before uploading them. Of course this site is many times larger than those I had.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

They're doing this because they want to stop those posts that have 6 or7 quotes from previous posts tacked on. We wound up with pointlessly long posts with the verticle line on the left hand side and the lines of text that got progressively shorter. We had to scroll down a mile to get to the newest post and it looked horrible. 

There are glitches because they're installing this in segments and that increases glitches. They won't have them all ironed out until the whole program's in. At this point we're pretty much beta testing this but they'll get it right in time. We may have to change our settings.

They didn't tell us ahead of time because they'd made up their minds they were going to do it. No point soliciting negative opinions that would have caused more resentment. This is a done deal, they're not going back to the old one.

In the end I think this one will be an improvement.

Nobody knew health care could be so complicated.
Donald Trump
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

IT RESTRICTS MANUVERABILITY AND ACCESS TO ALL FORUMS AND REDUCES IT TO A LIMITED TASK BAR.

Honored Social Butterfly

It is nice to see so much confidence in the management of these forums but just in case. This is my take regarding all the reasons that are  being posted.
goodlol.jpg

no name
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Loulit wrote:

There are glitches because they're installing this in segments and that increases glitches. They won't have them all ironed out until the whole program's in. At this point we're pretty much beta testing this but they'll get it right in time. We may have to change our settings.

They didn't tell us ahead of time because they'd made up their minds they were going to do it. No point soliciting negative opinions that would have caused more resentment. This is a done deal, they're not going back to the old one.

In the end I think this one will be an improvement.

Basically they are beta testing this in 'real time' on users instead of running a test base to get most of the glitches out.  The method of rolling out the program while continuing to get the glitches out will only leave the impression of problems even after they are worked out. 

I've never seen a program rolled out for users until the majority of glitches have been worked out.  Even after rolling it out the programming staff normally worked with the users to incorporate their suggestions while ironing them out in my experience..

Too soon to think whether this will be an improvement or not.

Honored Social Butterfly

You are correct. But I have to wonder as to the knowledge that is being display as to all the reasons that we are having all these problems and how much they are not to blame for the failure that they have shown and disrespect all of us as users.

no name
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I thought there was no way AARP could make this forum worse but I was wrong!

======================================================

I had problems again today.  Invalid HTML, try again.  When I did it did not work, said to many tries wait 3600 minutes and try again.  

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 

I believe it says seconds instead of minutes like this

Screenshot_2020-10-18 Online Community Refresh.png

and it has to do with the length of the post or the length of the post and perhaps an added graphic.  It may not be just one post either but the number of post you may be doing in a relatively short time.

On some boards this limit is done to keep down spam OR to limit the posters to so much copy/paste from a source or several sources.  On many boards the limit the amt you might be taking from another source as a copy/paste to a few paragraphs or number of words.

Yes, it could even be the number of links posted by one poster - total in a certain time period/ not just in one post.

I am hoping that their parameters can be adjusted to stop this - this is probably the only board it happens on -

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

It seems that if you use a link somebody else has used, it will stop you until that amount of time is up.  I could be wrong but that is what seemed to happen to me. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

You have to reply to the topic itself instead of another poster to keep postings in chronological order.

I just copied what I posted earlier. Then I clicked on the reply button under the original topic that shows at the top of the page. I then pasted the post that I copied into the editor page.  I then clicked 'reply' to post it.

This method will always put the post you are making as the last post made and keep them in somewhat of a chronological order. It is painstaking and time consuming but at least it works. I hope this helps you and others here.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

It is difficult to keep up with the continuity of the posts without pulling up the last one based on time.  Numbering the messages give an idea of the continuity quicker. 

Perhaps the management and programmers should ask a cross-section of users their opinions instead of just deciding they know what users want and would be happy with?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Social Butterfly

I am starting to see a method to the madness.  Takes a little getting used to.  Just have to play around with it and 'push buttons to see what they do'.  New format may grow on me. 😊

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

In that case, please help. It took me forever to see your post. I am checking post by the time that they are posted. and just now I was able to see your post. If someone answers my poist where are they going to appear? Not this one previous ones

no name
0 Kudos

@Roxanna35 wrote:

In that case, please help. It took me forever to see your post. I am checking post by the time that they are posted. and just now I was able to see your post. If someone answers my poist where are they going to appear? Not this one previous ones

Whatever post one replies to, the reply will appear in a thread below that particular post.  If I were replying to one of your previous posts, it would appear below that post and not this one.

If one wants to reply to the topic in general, then you hit Reply on the original post which always appears at the top.

Granted, takes a little getting used to.

0 Kudos

I do like that the tags are now clickable.  You can see all relevant, similarly tagged posts.  Tags are meant to be searchable, but in the old format, I didn't seem to have much luck with using tags as search terms.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The reply box has a drag-drop-down arrow, bottom right corner.

This find was a highlight of learning.  lol

Honored Social Butterfly

I am still trying to find that drop down  that you are speaking about I click on it ant it only takes me here to reply to your message.

no name
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Nothappening wrote:

Has anybody figured out how to get to the real chronological last posting?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nothappening, I just copied what you posted earlier. Then I clicked on the reply button under the original topic that shows at the top of the page. I then pasted your post that I copied into the editor page after first typing in  "Nothappening wrote:"  I then clicked 'reply' to post it.

This method will always put the post you are making as the last post made and keep them in somewhat of a chronological order. It is painstaking and time consuming but at least it works. I hope this helps you and others here.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Now that I have gotten used to it, I like having the subject as the first thing you always see when you enter the thread.  I don't see where it is much different other than that.  It would be nice if we could select the editing icons rather than having to hit the three dots but it did not do that before either.  I don't think the search has changed. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png