Listen to The Perfect Scam Podcast and Nominate It for a People’s Choice Podcast Award! Find Out More

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: I paid Social Security Taxes for 40 years, GOP Ryan calls it welfare

Message 11 of 22

@rk9152wrote:

@Olderscout66wrote:

Ryan and the entire GOP want to privatize Social Security. All those who think eliminating any Government guraentees for your retirement will make it better and safer, I have some ocean front property in Arizona I'm sure you'd be interested in.

I have seen no proposal for privatization that did not include an opt out. Also any proposal I have seen was "partial" not total.

Am I wrong??

@rk9152wrote:

@Olderscout66wrote:

Ryan and the entire GOP want to privatize Social Security. All those who think eliminating any Government guraentees for your retirement will make it better and safer, I have some ocean front property in Arizona I'm sure you'd be interested in.

I have seen no proposal for privatization that did not include an opt out. Also any proposal I have seen was "partial" not total.

Am I wrong??

Republicans been trying to kill Social Security since Roosevelt initiated it.  No big secret here.  Their plan is try to cripple it a little at a time.  Like the dictator Mussolini said " Take a feather out of the chicken one at a time and the people will never notice."

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 22

@Olderscout66wrote:

Am I wrong??

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 22

@BigLibwrote:

Not sure why we're subjected to a clueless insistence that Paul Ryan has suddenly adopted a hands-off approach to Social Security.

Possibly because he never did adopt a hands off approach, no one here has said he adopted a hands off approach, but you created the false argument about him adopting a hands off approach just to have something to complain about.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 22

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 22

Not sure why we're subjected to a clueless insistence that Paul Ryan has suddenly adopted a hands-off approach to Social Security. His history clearly indicates it's always been in his crosshairs.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/07/house-gop-budget-plan-puts-medicare-and-social-...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/with-paul-ryan-s-exit-gop-loses-advocate-for-changes-to-retirement-heal...

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/26/political-reality-stands-in-way-of-medicare-social-security-cuts.htm...

http://fortune.com/2016/11/15/trump-paul-ryan/

He advocated privatizing Social Security when he and Mitt Romney were the 2012 GOP nominees.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (8 pages of lies and growing)
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 22

@Richvawrote:

@rk9152wrote:

Tucked away in that standard rant is the fact that Ryan really didn't call SS welfare.

Now, back to the basics of the topics - does anyone know of any proposal from Ryan that would adversely effect your SS? If not, what is all the excitement and negativity about?

He calls it an "entitlement" which seems to be Republican speak for welfare.  Maybe not but the impact is the same from his standpoint.  How about you, do you feel Social Security is an entitlement?  Maybe add a means test so people with pensions and savings don't get to collect on the money they have invested in it? 

"Entitlement" means entitlement - not what you decide it means to someone else. That smacks of the lame "dog whistle" game some play here.

Again - do you know of any Ryan proposal that will adversely effect your SS payments?

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 22

@rk9152wrote:

Tucked away in that standard rant is the fact that Ryan really didn't call SS welfare.

Now, back to the basics of the topics - does anyone know of any proposal from Ryan that would adversely effect your SS? If not, what is all the excitement and negativity about?

He calls it an "entitlement" which seems to be Republican speak for welfare.  Maybe not but the impact is the same from his standpoint.  How about you, do you feel Social Security is an entitlement?  Maybe add a means test so people with pensions and savings don't get to collect on the money they have invested in it? 

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 18 of 22

@Olderscout66wrote:

Ryan talks about reforming Welfare and entitlements by "reducing government spending", and if that doesn't say he considers entitlements like Social Security and Medicare to be "welfare" I'm not sure what anyone would need to prove he does just that.

The solution for Social Security is to raise the income cap to $250,000 so it again (like Reagan had it do) covers 90% of total income. the increased revenue is on ALL the income between $127,500 and $250,000 while the benefit payments will only increase by 1/30th of the newly taxed income. the accumulated increase in the SSTF over those 30 years is more than enough to off-set the higher benefits from the earned interest alone, and the system will be solvent FOREVER.

But NRAGOP will not consider this easy fix and demand the middle class work longer and receive less as the only solution. Which means unless the NRAGOP do not return with a majority of House and Senate seats, SS is doomed as a protection against poverty for 99% of America's Seniors.

SAVE SOCIAL SECURITY - VOTE OUT THE NRAGOP IN NOVEMBER.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 19 of 22

Ryan talks about reforming Welfare and entitlements by "reducing government spending", and if that doesn't say he considers entitlements like Social Security and Medicare to be "welfare" I'm not sure what anyone would need to prove he does just that.

The solution for Social Security is to raise the income cap to $250,000 so it again (like Reagan had it do) covers 90% of total income. the increased revenue is on ALL the income between $127,500 and $250,000 while the benefit payments will only increase by 1/30th of the newly taxed income. the accumulated increase in the SSTF over those 30 years is more than enough to off-set the higher benefits from the earned interest alone, and the system will be solvent FOREVER.

But NRAGOP will not consider this easy fix and demand the middle class work longer and receive less as the only solution. Which means unless the NRAGOP do not return with a majority of House and Senate seats, SS is doomed as a protection against poverty for 99% of America's Seniors.

SAVE SOCIAL SECURITY - VOTE OUT THE NRAGOP IN NOVEMBER.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 20 of 22

One less Plutocrat to count with Ryan gone and in November the counting continues.