Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: I like this — Decolonize Our Thanksgiving Celebration

Message 1 of 7

“No matter where you are in North America, you are on indigenous land. And so on this holiday, and any day really, I urge people to explore a deeper connection to what are called “American” foods by understanding true Native-American histories, and begin using what grows naturally around us, and to support Native-American growers. There is no need to make Thanksgiving about a false past. It is so much better when it celebrates the beauty of the present.”

Yeah...... but sitting around a table talking about how the European migrant invasion killed the indigenous people that saved them from starvation would be a bummer, and it would put a damper on Black Friday,

Better to pretend and stuff ourselves with sugar.

Could Type 2 diabetes be  the Patuxet and Pequot tribe's revenge?

Still, I ate to much this year, including way to much sugar, it is time for a change.

Next year no french fried onions on the green bean casserole I might try baking  them in a small pumpkin instead , no candied sweet potatoes roast them instead, corn bread, and fruit salad.

I'll think about it

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

http://time.com/5457183/thanksgiving-native-american-holiday/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=soc...

“No matter where you are in North America, you are on indigenous land. And so on this holiday, and any day really, I urge people to explore a deeper connection to what are called “American” foods by understanding true Native-American histories, and begin using what grows naturally around us, and to support Native-American growers. There is no need to make Thanksgiving about a false past. It is so much better when it celebrates the beauty of the present.”

Great point, Manic!

And to your point, we'll be having "free-range" Smiley Tongue duck, wild rice, cornbread stuffing, cranberries and a blueberry pie.  Maybe even smoke a peace pipe while watching the Redskin - Cowboy game.....and yes, the Washington football team should change the name....

Excellent. I made a roasted root veggie dish with butternut squash. Does cranberry sangria count for anything?  

I like the idea of supporting Native American farmers/businesses, but I don’t think there are any around here.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

@KidBoy2 wrote:
H2Oh posted..

LOL, cue the righties showing up on this thread to whine about us Commies trying to "rewrite history" in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 ...

=======================================================

Say what?

The history of what was done to the American Indian was not right or left thing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you sure? It still  goes on today. Look at what they did in the Dakotas where they stopped Native Americans from voting by using a new law passed by the far right that you had to have a street address which are not used on quite a few reservations. How about the Native American tribe in AZ which straddles the border. The far right Trump wants to build a wall to cut it in to two and the people will no longer be able live as they do now.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7
H2Oh posted..

LOL, cue the righties showing up on this thread to whine about us Commies trying to "rewrite history" in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 ...

=======================================================

Say what?

The history of what was done to the American Indian was not right or left thing.
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

LOL, cue the righties showing up on this thread to whine about us Commies trying to "rewrite history" in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 ...

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

@ManicProgressive wrote:

http://time.com/5457183/thanksgiving-native-american-holiday/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=soc...

“No matter where you are in North America, you are on indigenous land. And so on this holiday, and any day really, I urge people to explore a deeper connection to what are called “American” foods by understanding true Native-American histories, and begin using what grows naturally around us, and to support Native-American growers. There is no need to make Thanksgiving about a false past. It is so much better when it celebrates the beauty of the present.”

Great point, Manic!

And to your point, we'll be having "free-range" Smiley Tongue duck, wild rice, cornbread stuffing, cranberries and a blueberry pie.  Maybe even smoke a peace pipe while watching the Redskin - Cowboy game.....and yes, the Washington football team should change the name....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

I like this — Decolonize Our Thanksgiving Celebration

Message 7 of 7

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors